PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Pink camera??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmass View Post
I took it back to the Verizon store. My god what a fiasco!
The sales person assigned to me did not see the pink! He was one of those moron sales people who, the second there is hint of conflict says "Look, I'm not going to argue with you sir!". To which I replied that there should be no "argument" just a clarification of what we are witnessing. So, I asked some other customers to look at the screen - and all of them immediately said "Yes, I see it".
OK, so lets see here....I see it, the folks in this forum see it, my wife sees it, other customers in the store see it...but magically, none of the Verizon staff see it. Hmmmm... I finally asked for the manager who was probably the most hostile jerk I've ever dealt with at Verizon. First he said there was nothing there. Then, after I asked other customers standing right next to me, he changed his story and told me the problem was the red signs in the store were reflecting and making it look pink. I then took him outside in the overcast, flat light and took a picture of the sidewalk where it was, once again pink. He then changed his story again saying that it was the way I had my camera set up. So, I made a bunch of setting changes. Then he claimed it was just the way all Samsungs were. "Oh really? This is the way ALL Samsung phones are? Well then, lets go inside and test some of the other phones." I then asked again "So you are SURE they are all the same?". To which he he said "I have no idea!".

Bottom line: They refused to help me with anything. And, since there is no tech bulletin regarding this, and they refused to acknowledge the problem, they refused to do anything regarding warranty. We've been customers with Verizon since before they were Verizon. Apparently this is meaningless.

Well, not sure what to do now. ....
Wow...that is terrible...I never have this kind of trouble with Verizon's people, granted a lot of them don't know sh*t about the phones, but they are usually willing to help...I'd recommend going to another store if that if possible for you...do you know of a location that has on-site technicians?

also check the other thread I was asking you some questions about ur camera settings
Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub73 View Post
Wow...that is terrible...I never have this kind of trouble with Verizon's people, granted a lot of them don't know sh*t about the phones, but they are usually willing to help...I'd recommend going to another store if that if possible for you...do you know of a location that has on-site technicians?

also check the other thread I was asking you some questions about ur camera settings
I agree..keep trying and go other routs. How long have you had the Omnia? Maybe threaten to return it entirely, or call phone CS and go through them!!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Threadstarter

Cmass is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub73 View Post

This has historically been a good store. It is one of the larger ones and they do have on site techs. But the techs admit knowing very little about this phone. And, since they are contractors and not Verizon employees, they were the first ones to offer that Verizon introduced this phone too quickly and the support is lacking. (Not even a case or skins or a screen protector) The techs can only help me as much as Verizon will let them.

Concerning the settings: I've tried every menu setting I could find. The only one that made any difference was the White Balance setting. I could get the pink to disappear if I set it to "Daylight" so it made everything yellow or other off-color.
Here are some pics I just took of my refrigerator after stepping through the white balance settings. This is bright white.

Here is the White Balance set on Automatic

Then I tried various ISO settings

This is the best I could get:

Here is the fluorescent light setting:

And the tungsten light setting: (Which is what the light source actually is)

And the Candlelight setting:

In each one you can see the pink. Although the yellowish ones hide it fairly well, the color is ridiculously far off true.

Here is something interesting I just tried. If you are familiar with photography you will recognize this as lens flare. This is the first time I've seen a bright pink lens flare! Bizarre. But, apparently, I'm imagining all this. Well, me and the other customers in the store.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Try this:
1) Find something that is bright white.
2) Shine a light on it. Try an incandescent light or a florescent or natural light. The color varied a bit with those different sources but never disappeared when I tried them.
3) When you bring up your camera it should go to default settings. Nonetheless, the vast majority won't matter much - except perhaps for Saturation which can make the pic go from black and white to super duper pink. Just leave all at the "0" settings.
4) Go into "White Balance" settings in the tools menu and select various items including tungsten, florescent etc.. and then
5) Point the camera directly at the white surface from 1-3 feet away and see what you get.

- Chris
Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Lurker

bart122 is a n00b

I have teh same on my Omnia Camera. I would expect that samsung would swap the camera sensor for a good one. I think samsung works with 2nd grads quality sensors and 1st grade go into real camara's. I did not go back to samsung yet. Likely I will loose my omnia for 3 weeks or more.

Work around (if you have photoshop and some photohop skiills): Take a picture of a white background with no details. In photeshop increase the saturation by 50% and blurr the image to loss all teh detials which were still there (eg blurr radius 25). Invert the picture: you now get a negative of teh stange colors. Save this picture as you will need to copy this picture on top off al teh pictures you want to correct. Next step is to copy the picture to the picure you want to correct and set the layer blend mode to 'color'. Last step is to set the opaqity to 35%. The strange color effects have now canceled each other out. The overall saturation hase degraded a little and you can correct this by increaseing teh overall saturation by eg 15%.

But more easy go to samsung!!!

Hope this helps

Bart
Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart122 View Post
I have teh same on my Omnia Camera. I would expect that samsung would swap the camera sensor for a good one. I think samsung works with 2nd grads quality sensors and 1st grade go into real camara's. I did not go back to samsung yet. Likely I will loose my omnia for 3 weeks or more.

Work around (if you have photoshop and some photohop skiills): Take a picture of a white background with no details. In photeshop increase the saturation by 50% and blurr the image to loss all teh detials which were still there (eg blurr radius 25). Invert the picture: you now get a negative of teh stange colors. Save this picture as you will need to copy this picture on top off al teh pictures you want to correct. Next step is to copy the picture to the picure you want to correct and set the layer blend mode to 'color'. Last step is to set the opaqity to 35%. The strange color effects have now canceled each other out. The overall saturation hase degraded a little and you can correct this by increaseing teh overall saturation by eg 15%.
But more easy go to samsung!!!
Hope this helps
Bart
Thanks Bart!
I'll try your Photoshop suggestion - although I have tried many others and found that by the time I had finished the photo had degraded due to extensive manipulation.
Verizon does not believe there is an issue here.....I wonder if Samsung does either. Perhaps it is time to rattle the cages a bit??
Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Hey Bart, could you do me a HUGE favor and go here:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faqs/supportFaqList.do?group=&type=mobilephones&subtype =verizonwireless&model_nm=SCH-I910&dType=D&mType=UM&vType=R&prd_ia_cd=01010400&a cc_ia_fl=&disp_nm=Omnia%20(SCH-i910)&menu=faqs
to log a complaint with Samsung on this issue? Just so I know I'm not the only one who did if they come back to me saying I'm the only one who has mentioned it.
Chris
Old 01-04-2009, 04:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

BTW: After searching Google for possible Omnia camera defects this thread is the #1 hit. So....I suppose we are now obligated to make sure people are able to find some solution for this should they too be seeking.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhirshorn View Post
My camera doesn't have this anomaly. I would suggest taking the camera back to Verizon and having them swap it out. Just to be sure, is your camera lens clean?
They didn't allow it.
Yes, camera is spotless
Old 01-04-2009, 05:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Call Customer Service and let them have it!! I would use every trick in the book...you ARE the customer after all!!! Threaten to leave VZW, return the Omnia for another device (if your still under the 30 day trial), or even to do an insurance exchange (you lose $50 in the deak that way though).

Another alternative is to threaten to call Samsung directly....there is supposed to be a year warrenty from them...isn't there? I don't think VZW would want people calling them (Samsung CS) over their own CS dept. (doesn't look good)!!!!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia