PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

Cmass is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pink camera??

Help! Check your cameras against a white object and let me know what you see.

-----------

One of the major reasons I bought this phone was for the camera. Since I haven't sold me Dare yet - as I am still in "trial mode" with this Omnia - I did a side by side comparison.

Result: In normal light, the 3MP Dare took superior photographs to the 5MP Omnia. Where the Omnia did better was in strange or difficult lighting. This is because it is more adjustable so you can compensate. For me, overall, adjustability MAY give the Omnia a bit of an edge. But not by much at all.

One thing is certain: The extra 2MPs have no affect on quality whatsoever. I switched between 3 and 5 on the Omnia and found no difference in real life - and no resolution difference between the two phones. I think you would only tell if you blew the picture up to poster size....and even then....

However, there was one thing I noted that was a serious flaw in the Omnia and that is the presence of an redish-pink glow toward the center of the picture. I started noticing it when the camera was pointed at the white kitchen sink. I then photographed various lighter colored objects and it showed up quite clearly when I put them up on screen. I could not manipulate the photos enough in Photoshop to completely remove this aberation. I tried every single setting on the phone with no luck removing it. The strange thing is that I also saw it on the Dare camera....but barely noticeable and only under certain circumstance. It never interfered with the photos the way the Omnia did.

I'm wondering if this is a defect in this camera.

Could you folks check your cameras and let me know what you see when you point them at a white object? Try under a variety of conditions including kitchen light at night pointing at the sink like I did and then try brighter light and a variety of other conditions.
If this is a defect, I need to know so I can trade it in before puting more time into this particular phone. If it is just the way this phone is, then I need to know so I can decide right away if I want to stay with an Omnia or go back to the (stable, safe) Dare.

Thanks!

- Chris
Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Pink camera??

Here is a completely unedited picture of the sink using the Omnia. Obviously, this is completely unacceptable:

No setting got rid of it.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omnia

jmhirshorn is a n00b

My camera doesn't have this anomaly. I would suggest taking the camera back to Verizon and having them swap it out. Just to be sure, is your camera lens clean?
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I don't have that either, I would get that switched out if you decide to keep the Omnia as well!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhirshorn View Post
My camera doesn't have this anomaly. I would suggest taking the camera back to Verizon and having them swap it out. Just to be sure, is your camera lens clean?
Yes, lens is clean. It is a weird effect.....

Did you guys try it under the same conditions?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:30 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

iceman5100 is becoming a great contributor

Mine does not do that....my pics come out to be looking like 5mp......

Hmmmmm...did you drop it or leave it in an abnormal temperature?

iceman sliding out.......................
Old 01-03-2009, 04:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman5100 View Post
Mine does not do that....my pics come out to be looking like 5mp......
Hmmmmm...did you drop it or leave it in an abnormal temperature?
It has primarily resided on a warm, dry desk top as I have been spending days trying to get it set up properly. My Dare, on the other hand, has been dropped in the snow and was used extensively at the ocean taking rather violent storm pictures.

Did you try a picture under the same conditions I described? I need to rule out that this is a general Omnia problem.

Thanks!

- Chris
Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

After a hard reset (due to a litany of other app problems) the pink eye camera is as bad as ever - perhaps worse. So, I am assuming this is probably a physical defect on the CCD.

Time for a new phone
Old 01-03-2009, 10:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: WM Omnia & Moto Droid
Carrier: VZW

Hoss is becoming a great contributor

Just checked my photgraphs out, can't say I see the same issue. I suspect this is just plain bad luck or damaged camera.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I took it back to the Verizon store. My god what a fiasco!
The sales person assigned to me did not see the pink! He was one of those moron sales people who, the second there is hint of conflict says "Look, I'm not going to argue with you sir!". To which I replied that there should be no "argument" just a clarification of what we are witnessing. So, I asked some other customers to look at the screen - and all of them immediately said "Yes, I see it".
OK, so lets see here....I see it, the folks in this forum see it, my wife sees it, other customers in the store see it...but magically, none of the Verizon staff see it. Hmmmm... I finally asked for the manager who was probably the most hostile jerk I've ever dealt with at Verizon. First he said there was nothing there. Then, after I asked other customers standing right next to me, he changed his story and told me the problem was the red signs in the store were reflecting and making it look pink. I then took him outside in the overcast, flat light and took a picture of the sidewalk where it was, once again pink. He then changed his story again saying that it was the way I had my camera set up. So, I made a bunch of setting changes. Then he claimed it was just the way all Samsungs were. "Oh really? This is the way ALL Samsung phones are? Well then, lets go inside and test some of the other phones." I then asked again "So you are SURE they are all the same?". To which he he said "I have no idea!".

Bottom line: They refused to help me with anything. And, since there is no tech bulletin regarding this, and they refused to acknowledge the problem, they refused to do anything regarding warranty. We've been customers with Verizon since before they were Verizon. Apparently this is meaningless.

Well, not sure what to do now. ....
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia