PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How long for Froyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
I wouldn't count it out yet...the Galaxy S is not aimed at HTC but the iphone..and the iphone does offer 1 year upgrades at the very least...supposidly the next Galaxy S will come out 1 year from now aka May-June 2011...we willl have Gingerbread this fall...I'd like to see how samsung can justify over 6 month of not upgrading to gingerbread...on a "premium brand"
Hey, I would love it if you are right, but if Samsung releases Gingerbread for Galaxy S phones and then also offers Gingerbread on the Galaxy S v2, would motivation would you have to upgrade then? The specs on the phone are pretty hardcore and most people aren't going to push their phone like the fraction of people on these forums do. Samsung isn't know for their outstanding support either, which is a concern of mine.

Can you think of any other reason why other phones that are out now came with Froyo already and this one isn't?
Old 08-28-2010, 08:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

derfnoslen is just getting started

I don't think that they will update this to gingerbread... the specs that the Galaxy has is the min specs for gingerbread. And it's rumored to come out LATE this year. I don't think Samsung will push us to two updates.. which is why I'm wating until a Gingerbread phone comes out.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
Hey, I would love it if you are right, but if Samsung releases Gingerbread for Galaxy S phones and then also offers Gingerbread on the Galaxy S v2, would motivation would you have to upgrade then? The specs on the phone are pretty hardcore and most people aren't going to push their phone like the fraction of people on these forums do. Samsung isn't know for their outstanding support either, which is a concern of mine.

Can you think of any other reason why other phones that are out now came with Froyo already and this one isn't?
Well Samsung said it is going to be a "Premium Brand" and if they want to keep it that way it will be expected. They said it themselves they want to differentiate themselves...to be exact its not like samsung did not offer updates before to other android phones...just those updates didn't go as far as some people wanted them to.

But I can think of plenty of reason to get a Galaxy S2..New Super AMOLED with indestructible screen..thinner due to thin film over glass...2x energy savings...2ghz cpu...more ram...more rom..maybe a xen flash? bigger mah battery..is that not enough reason to upgrade to S2?

Also the Galaxy S was released and made even before the EVO...notice they don't even have a fully working Froyo ROM..so they went with releasing 2.1...original Galaxy S came out in may...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfnoslen View Post
I don't think that they will update this to gingerbread... the specs that the Galaxy has is the min specs for gingerbread. And it's rumored to come out LATE this year. I don't think Samsung will push us to two updates.. which is why I'm wating until a Gingerbread phone comes out.
I don't expect Gignerbread from Day 1...if they release Froyo in September, that will be 7 months...there is no reason for them not to have a working Gingerbread for our phone in that time period...And Gignerbread was stated to work on Nexus One as it is their dev phone...no reason why a Galaxy S which is more powerful not to be able to run it easier.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfnoslen View Post
Just to clarify, I think the Epic might see a few updates, just refinements of Froyo, not Gingerbread. That's the least I can hope for and expect from Samsung, anything else is ALL gravy.

As far as waiting for a phone that ships with Gingerbread goes, the community should be able to get it working soon enough. With all the different versions of this phone floating around, I think that it's popularity should keep it going for some time to come. I just hope that some flaw isn't discovered a week after release like the EVO had. Between the light leaks, 30 fps issue, the stress cracks and now the micro usb header connectivity problems I sit and wait for this phones judgment day.

By the time the reservations and wait lists are filled we should know pretty quickly whether or not this phone is the phone to dethroned or not.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Question Re: How long for Froyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Also the Galaxy S was released and made even before the EVO...notice they don't even have a fully working Froyo ROM..so they went with releasing 2.1...original Galaxy S came out in may...
Can you elaborate on this statement? I'm confused, this doesn't seem to be a positive attribute to be bringing up. If they had this phone out, and about, so long and it's their only "Premium Brand" phone why all these delays? HTC has so many more phones and they are banging out Froyo much more rapidly then Samsung with its single line selection.

I'm I missing something here?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:03 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
Can you elaborate on this statement? I'm confused, this doesn't seem to be a positive attribute to be bringing up. If they had this phone out, and about, so long and it's their only "Premium Brand" phone why all these delays? HTC has so many more phones and they are banging out Froyo much more rapidly then Samsung with its single line selection.

I'm I missing something here?
Because HTC had been working of Froyo for the Nexus One and Motorola has been working on on Froyo for the original Droid. Samsung was not working for Froyo on any previous device and they stuck to Eclair because thats what they started on.

This is actually one reason I think Gingerbread will be on the Galaxy S...when the Galaxy S2 is gonna be worked on it will have Gingerbread..and SGS and SGS2 will share a lot of similarities like Droid and Droid 2 has...so deploying Gingerbread on the current SGS line should be fairly simple...
Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrflurry View Post
The Galaxy S line (excluding the Epic and possibly the Fascinate) will be getting a slight update in the second week of September. Froyo (2.2) will hit in early November and gingerbread will definitely be supported but won't come until much later in 2011 (not sure how much later on that one though).
Curses, I hope your wrong about the 2.2 release estimate, waiting for November to finally get flash is like getting kicked in the crotch after this long of a wait especially seeing everyone sporting it. The lame $10 tax should be going toward timely updates especially for the latest flagship phone. Froyo been out since May--you'd think they would have been working on it since then.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series