PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Super AMOLED Screen

To note, while I will post comparisons to the iPhone screen..please do not move this to the compare thread because this is meant for informational purposes only for those interested in the device.

Anyways..for those that read the review from engadget, they did not have the Galaxy S brightness to max..thus it appeared gray..this is a redone review with brightness up

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/26/i...layback-video/

Here is a side by side:

Notice that the Super AMOLED screen is brighter..

Of course the one on the iphone looks better..but a person will not be able to see that much detail...the reason it looks this way is how he pixels are lined up...what you will see is below:

Here you can clearly see the difference..notice the brightness..contrast and the colors!

Now the whites are still a bit more gray then the iphone but you can also see other colors to look better:

Now again this isn't a comparison between devices..but to show that the Super AMOLED display is in fact on par with the Retina display if not better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a youtube video of someone comparing it from far distance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMsl7ceJuK4

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 06-27-2010 at 02:40 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:54 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Re: Super AMOLED Screen

Ok I found the original giraffe image and photoshopped it in..now you can see the color accuracy (well at least compared to your lcd)

Take note though that the results may not be exact depending on how the camera used handles something...so you'd have to actually see in person to tell..but this is for those curious to how it steps up to the original image:

Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The other thing to note is that you can't really see the color vibrancy of the super amoled on your lcd monitor, you have to witness it in real life. at normal viewing distance you also can't see the giant red/blue pixels either though the text would still appear blurrier than the iphone 4 display showing tiny text. this is just the downside of the pentile matrix display. it sucks but i doubt samsung would change unless they were ridiculed on stage at every press event.

That being said,
I played around with the iphone 4 over the weekend and while the screen is super sharp clear & the hardware quality was awesome, I was left with a "now what?" it has a great display but really what else is new.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:07 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Well I doubt samsung would change it as it provides a lot of the energy saving to the phone..but it boils down to..how blurry the text would be...once we actually see the unit, maybe from normal viewing distance it will look sharp...of course it won't look as sharp as the iphone but that also has a higher resolution, so it wouldn't look as sharp anyways.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to bboyneko

Are you guys insane? Have you looked at small fonts on the iPhone screen vs the galaxy S? Go to a webpage on the iPhone4..zoom out until the font is tiny..you can actually READ it on the iPhone4 and it is CRISP. On the Galaxy S the font has serious blur issues.

The Super AMOLED on the samsung is too purple/blue, over saturated and BLURRY for small fonts especially. Saying it is on par with the Retina screen is wishful thinking.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:24 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyneko View Post
Are you guys insane? Have you looked at small fonts on the iPhone screen vs the galaxy S? Go to a webpage on the iPhone4..zoom out until the font is tiny..you can actually READ it on the iPhone4 and it is CRISP. On the Galaxy S the font has serious blur issues.

The Super AMOLED on the samsung is too purple/blue, over saturated and BLURRY for small fonts especially. Saying it is on par with the Retina screen is wishful thinking.
No one said its on par with the Retina..it is Better then the Retina >.> lol

Yes tiny font will not be legible as it is on the Retina..but who cares?!?! your not suppose to read letters that small on a screen..it will put a lot of pressure on your eyes...

That said the saturation can go both ways...you can argue that the iphone screen is "under-saturated"...(Test indicate that the display is 36% under-saturated making colors look dull)

Super AMOLED also wins out in other things like using less energy, more colors, better contrast, faster refresh rate.

Also..did you look at the Super AMOLED? or just a regular AMOLED screen? because so far your the 1st person who said this...

Either way..the point of this is thread to educate people about the super amoled screen and how for general use the pixel count doesn't mean anything...If you notice in the thread topic I never even mention "which is better"...I just put them side by side to the original image for people to understand...

If you want to continue the discussion on which is better, there is a thread in the comparison forum which is meant for that purpose..
Old 08-02-2010, 05:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

bboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have looked at super amoled (samsung galaxy), I played with it at a store while holding an iPhone4 next to it..the difference is night and day. The text doesnt even have to be that small to see how much sharper the iPhone4 retina display is, and how purple/blue the super amoled screen is compared to the iPhone4.

Just the text displayed under icons and widgets looks muddy compared to beautiful crisp fonts on the retina display.

In addition apple manufactured the screen so its basically displaying things on the glass itself..all other screen technologies look as if they are under a thin layer of glass..which they are. But only the Retina display has ever given me the feeling like I am holding a printed photo for example.

Amoled is a good idea, but the fact that they use pentile and have HUGE blue and red pixels and tiny green pixels means that colors will always be too blue, and fine detail is lost.

Whats the point of a high res screen if it uses pentile technology? Its like having a car capable of going 500 MPH but putting cinderblocks on it instead of tires.

IPhone4 has the best smartphone screen ever made..just hold it next to a super amoled phone to see the difference.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:14 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyneko View Post
I have looked at super amoled (samsung galaxy), I played with it at a store while holding an iPhone4 next to it..the difference is night and day. The text doesnt even have to be that small to see how much sharper the iPhone4 retina display is, and how purple/blue the super amoled screen is compared to the iPhone4.
See thats the problem..you have to view things from their own perspective..if you use your iphone4 as a "bases" where the screen is unsaturated...then look at a saturated screen it will look "too saturated" thus the color balance..if you were to look at it normally you would notice it is fine...its same thing as when coming from a dark room into a bright room makes the bright room seem unnatural..

Quote:
Just the text displayed under icons and widgets looks muddy compared to beautiful crisp fonts on the retina display.
Again your trying too hard...personally I have a TP2 and I don't really care if it had more pixels per inch...it looks fine..obviously if I were to put it next to an iphone4 I would notice it is not as sharp..but its sharp enough for most people for general use...if I ever wanted anything is more colors...

Quote:
In addition apple manufactured the screen so its basically displaying things on the glass itself..all other screen technologies look as if they are under a thin layer of glass..which they are. But only the Retina display has ever given me the feeling like I am holding a printed photo for example.
Actually its the other way around...the Super AMOLED is the thinnest of them all because everything is embedded into the glass...The iphone 4 is no where close to photo quality...as stated it is dull and since I work with graphics so much I know the difference even if 1 pixel was off...

Quote:
Amoled is a good idea, but the fact that they use pentile and have HUGE blue and red pixels and tiny green pixels means that colors will always be too blue, and fine detail is lost.
Actually the human eye distinguishes greens better then any other color..the tinting that was caused in old AMOLED was because the included more blue thus making it unnatural...no one has reported this with Super Amoled

Quote:
Whats the point of a high res screen if it uses pentile technology? Its like having a car capable of going 500 MPH but putting cinderblocks on it instead of tires.
Let me ask you this..whats the point of having a car go 500 miles an hour when the speed limit is 65 mph?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

nvmyc is keeping up the good worknvmyc is keeping up the good work

I hope Apple is paying you for all your fan boy related talk.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I love the apple retina screen, the look and feel of the physical iphone 4, and the battery life but thats about it. If I could buy an iPhone4 and wipe it and install android id be happy. I think soon android phones will catch up to Iphone 4 in screen technology and physical design. All the android phones have been really ugly. My favorite physical phone design was probably the palm pre.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series