PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Which phone shall I buy?
HTC HD2 21 56.76%
HTC Touch Pro 2 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: T-Mobile

i_maq is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC HD2 or Touch Pro 2?

Hey everyone, hope this is the right place to put this, I'm having a major dilemma! I'm torn between the HD2 and Touch Pro 2.

What I love about the HD2:

-screen
-Sense UI
-processor

What I love about the Touch Pro 2:

-form factor
-keyboard
-keyboard

I know I can flash a Rom with sense UI on to the tp2 but I don't know if the experience will be like the HD2 with the resistive screen! And I'm a complete WM noob so don't know what gsm Rom to look for that's a plain and simple version of the Leo Rom... Both phones have something I want but I can't decide between the 2! Please help me make a choice people!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler
Re: HTC HD2 or Touch Pro 2?

I don't know about you, but here's what I demand out of any smartphone that I own:

-Must have physical keyboard
-Must have MSVC as available option
-Must be able to tether
-Must have custom ROMS available
-Must be able to be CID unlocked
-Must have 802.11b connectivity
-Must be Bluetooth 2.1 compliant
-Should be able to accept extended battery
-Should have a large screen for graphical display
-Should be able to use as a portable MMS. Plug phone into TV, watch movies I have stored on my phone in HD 1080i format
-Should be able to do TV output, and audio output over adapter
-Should be able to do internet audio/video streaming over HSDPA while using external devices to view/listen
-Should be able to tune to FM NAM frequencies after inserting headset.

The TP2 meets all of these, the Diamond 2 does not. I know what I'd buy.
Baseband: UCKJ3
Kernel: 2.6.35.7 - I997RUXG3-CL366622 user@netbook #Infusion-GB-CoreA
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
Carrier: Bell

Andrewwelton knows their stuffAndrewwelton knows their stuffAndrewwelton knows their stuffAndrewwelton knows their stuffAndrewwelton knows their stuffAndrewwelton knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to Andrewwelton

I think he meant the HD2/Leo, not the Diamond 2.
And while physical keyboards are nice, the HD2 is big enough that if you went to type in landscape, or even portrait for that matter. im sure it would work amazingly well.

Phones: HTC Vogue (Incubusj2c's 2.2 RLS12) RETIRED
Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (Rooted, stock FW)
Old 11-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500
Carrier: Sprint

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_semler View Post
I don't know about you, but here's what I demand out of any smartphone that I own:

-Must have physical keyboard
-Must have MSVC as available option
-Must be able to tether
-Must have custom ROMS available
-Must be able to be CID unlocked
-Must have 802.11b connectivity
-Must be Bluetooth 2.1 compliant
-Should be able to accept extended battery
-Should have a large screen for graphical display
-Should be able to use as a portable MMS. Plug phone into TV, watch movies I have stored on my phone in HD 1080i format
-Should be able to do TV output, and audio output over adapter
-Should be able to do internet audio/video streaming over HSDPA while using external devices to view/listen
-Should be able to tune to FM NAM frequencies after inserting headset.

The TP2 meets all of these, the Diamond 2 does not. I know what I'd buy.
HD2 and Diamond 2 are 2 different phones
Think of it like this... The TP2 is now and the HD2 is the future of Windows phones!!!
All I need to say is snapdragon.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500
Carrier: Sprint

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewwelton View Post
I think he meant the HD2/Leo, not the Diamond 2.
And while physical keyboards are nice, the HD2 is big enough that if you went to type in landscape, or even portrait for that matter. im sure it would work amazingly well.
ha you beat me too it. i wrote everything and forgot to submit it lol
Old 11-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
Carrier: Bell

Andrewwelton knows their stuffAndrewwelton knows their stuffAndrewwelton knows their stuffAndrewwelton knows their stuffAndrewwelton knows their stuffAndrewwelton knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to Andrewwelton

Lol ah well... as long as it helps the guy right? :P
Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler

SIP = Will inevitably fail
Hardware keyboard = probaly will work until you croak, even on you 1000th ROM flash.

I prefer "damn near wont fail" to "probably will fail in 7 years". I buy UMPC/PPC/phones for the long term, (approacing a decade), not a 2yr intermediary term. I had service through Unicel until they got bought out by VZW here, and didn't have a contract since 2002. Yes, over 7 years of service w/ the same provider, and the only reason I left was because I knew VZW did not support TDMA devices, and that's what I had at the time. My first GSM device was a Moto V197.

Last edited by k_semler; 11-24-2009 at 12:01 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

i_maq is a n00b

Hm, thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately I still haven't come across something that absolutely swings me one way or the other :-/ I suppose I'm worried about the accuracy of selecting text on the HD2, without a d pad or a trackball or anything like that, and whether only having a few hardware buttons would ruin the experience on using emulators or games or other apps that might require hardware buttons... Any advice on that?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

I'm waiting for the HD2. I love thin phones and I can live without a hardware keyboard. I like having the keyboard, but it goes back to form factor for me. Everyone's needs/wants are different and one thing might outweigh another differently.

I'm sure the last of hardware buttons can cause issues with games in the beginning, but I see that changing as more and more of these devices are becoming dependent on the touchscreen, even without a stylus. The iPhone changed that standard.

So if you play older games that don't support touchscreen buttons or the accelerometer, then it might be a problem for you, but I don't really play enough games for it to be a factor for me.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Smile Re: HTC HD2 or Touch Pro 2?

i wil be buying a touch hd 2 as soon as we get a cdma verison or a gsm verison if verizon flipps the lte switch first! love my tp2 and the keyboard but i find myself using the hardware keyboard less and less because of the size of the screen i can for once use the onscreen with my big hands!! tp screen is what 3.8 and the hd2 screen is 4.3! i will gladly give up my hardware kb

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Tags
hd2, htc, touch pro 2