PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 01:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim X51v, Tilt, 8525 VX6900, Imagio
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

jadesse is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Omnia or Touch Pro

Haven't frequented this site very often but I will probably will be a lot more. I changed jobs recently & their wireless service is Verizon & I was on AT&T before. Now Verizon’s selection on WM handsets is limited. So basically my only two options are the Omnia or touch Pro.

I really like my tilt because it was an all in one. I really liked it because it has the embedded GPS. Both the Touch Pro & Omnia have embedded GPS's but the JACKASSES at Verizon have them locked. I know that there is a fix on this site to unlock the GPS for the Touch Pro but nothing has been done for the Omnia yet. There have been mixed reviews on the fix.

I have read a couple of post to where people have connected at BT GPS to the Omnia with success. I would assume that this would be possible with the Touch Pro too.

Both devices have the G-Sensor which is cool but there are cons to both.
I played with Omnia for a little while in the store. Its G-Sensor seemed to be too sensitive & there is probably a setting for this. Just holding the Omnia in my hand if it tilted to the right or left a little caused the G-Sensor to re-orienent the screen. However if you turn the unit 90 degrees in any screen the device will re-orientate the screen. Where the Touch Pro will only orientate the screen with the internet, pictures, & video.

I am leaning more towards the Touch Pro because it does have the GPS fix. However I really like the look & feel of the Omnia in my hand. I don't know if I like the fact of not having a d-pad or scroll wheel. I seems like one hand operation would be difficult.

Are there any other issue with either device that I should consider?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM
.:DoWorkSon:.
Pocket PC: .:OD:.Incredible:.DroidX:.iPhone4:.ThunderBolt:.
Carrier: Verizon

GrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to GrandMasterB
Re: Omnia or Touch Pro

I currently have the Omnia on Verizon and I can answer a couple of your questions, although I myself am trying to decide if I should stay with the Omnia or return in favor of the Touch Pro. I wouldn't buy one over the other based on the GPS because its only a matter of time until the Omnia GPS will be unlocked rather it be by hack or Verizons unlocking GPS's slated for "first quarter 09" as I understand it to be. The Omnia does have sensativity setting for the G sensor and I find it to be easily adjusted to your liking , and it can be landscaped in any menu , unlike the TP.

Also the Optical Mouse found on the Omnia works really well as a mouse but can also be changed to an optical D-pad if desired.

In my opinion the Omnia is an Awesome phone , way better than I had anticipated when I purchased it. I will admit that I didn't care for it too much when I first got it but with some regisrty tweaks and Manila 2D it has seriously grown on me.

The only reason I am considering the Touch Pro myself is because of 2 1/2 reasons ,

1-TP has a REAL Keyboard. Omnias Touch QWERTY works pretty dang good but can never be as efficient as a real keyboard IMHO.
2-TP Screen Resolution is SO much crisper than the Omnia.
1/2- Touchflow 3D , I only say half because I have Touchflow 2D running on my Omnia and it's amazing , but Touchflow 3D would be even better , yeah?

Good Luck in your search!

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison