PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 11:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Windsponge is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile which one?

You all seem to be very good at what you do, would you all give me your your choise Omina or touch pro for verizon. I have tried both not sure which one to keep. Please help if you will. Thank you1
Old 12-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: which one?

if you have fat-finger syndrome get the Touch Pro...but if u don't mind the touch screen keyboard the Omnia is great...

although there is more support and information for the Touch, the Verizon version isnt as good as the sprint version, this is why I chose the Omnia
Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Tp2
Carrier: Sprint

AL_CAPONE_187 is becoming a great contributor

i say omnia i likethe tp but its keyboard was small to me compared to moguls keyboard. plus if u really want a tp get a sprint one than put it on verizon just dont get the verizon one
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Phantom27 is keeping up the good workPhantom27 is keeping up the good work

The clencher for me was that I actually like on screen keyboards better than real ones (don't hate me). Plus, the battery doesn't last very long on the TP, probably because it is VGA (although the screen is actually smaller).
Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Much like other posters mentioned, I think the biggest difference is in the keyboard. You are looking at a 700wx user that absolutly SWORE by a physical keyboard!!! I am thrilled with the Omnia, it is not nearly as tough to type as I thought, and you can tweak the device so you hardly ever touch a stylus!! The Omnia runs smooth, is fast on the data, the 8GB onboard memory is FANTASTIC (I install 90% of my apps there), the camera is good (just don't expect a high quality 5MG, it takes tweaking), and the overall feel of the Omnia is good (I found the Touch Pro to be wide and awkward to hold!!

Feel free to ask about other details you want to know about, I am sure you can get a LOT of info here!!!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:33 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

omnia, since your vzw pro is gimped. looks ike a good phone to me.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

I also have been wanting to upgrade from my 68 although nothing is wrong with it nd it works just fine. I was really wanting to get the TP but with a slower CPU than Sprints, less RAM than Sprints, no FM radio and no GPS plus $50 more than Sprints, I was turned off.

I have has my eye on the Omnia also. I dont like the stylus and placement of it. I dont care for the flush and flat screen because some ppl (not me) like to lay it down face-forward and thus will scratch it.

I went to the VZW store yesterday and played with 2 TPs. They seemed a good but slow so I reset both of them. There was no telling how many ppl had been in there playing with them and how many apps were open in the background. After fully booting up the first thing I did was open the KB and I SWEAR it took 2-5 secs for the screen to go from portrait to landscape. I tried this on both devices and several times and this is how it was. Needless to say I wasnt inpressed. I also tried to moved the menus a bit and they seemed to stagger and were choppy and not "flowing" well.

Even with the Omnia not betting rebooted it still seened to flow well with dragging the widgets across the screen. It did take some time for the FM tuner to load and I was disappointed to see you had to have the earphones plugged it for it to work. I might as well keep Resco radio and stream stations that way. I dont wanna have to keep up with headphones if I wanna listen to music.

But overall I am leaning towards the Omnia. I am interested in seeing a Kitchen for it and unlocked GPS. I think I read where the GPS has been unlocked for the TP but I know I read where VZW will be giving stand-alone GPS for the TP and Omnia in 09 so we will see.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

You can listen to FM without the headset, but you do still need the antenna wire plugged in. The TP was VERY slow for me as well in the store while pulling out the keyboard, and while I have heard there is a tweak to make it faster, I am not sure how MUCH faster it is.

As for the flat screen, I was hesitant about that as well, but there are some really good screen protectors out there, and just about any case will give you the edged effect you seem to be looking for.

As far as the GPS, VZW announced they are releasing GPS on all the devices they just put out...including the Omnia!! As soon as an updated ROM is released by Samsung/VZW, people will start kicking out ROMs + kitchens left and right....just look at (don't use, just look LOL) all the ROMs for the i900!!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:23 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Threadstarter

Windsponge is just getting started

just want to thank you all for good advice. The omina is working reall well. Very happy with it.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:29 AM
Chillin'
Pocket PC: Evolved....
Carrier: Sprint

hooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I refuse to read what anyone else wrote until I tell you OMNIA-you won't regret

Now I read the entire thread and you chose wisely...LOL!!!

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison