PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

jimd144 is keeping up the good workjimd144 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyone have an iPhone or come from one?

I personally don't use office applications on a phone.

The email problems are known and should be fixed with 2.2

It currently does not tether.

Orb works great with iphone, and orb will play your videos from your home computer.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: tp2!
Carrier: the one

orlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stuff

sorry to post cause i dont have an iphone, but i was wondering if it really does render pages as quickly as you saw in the store... did they have wifi turned on, so people would think it was faster? in the head to head matchups they have on phonedog, iphone seemed pretty slow or the same as other phones when not using wifi. then again maybe att is better than sprint in ur area.
if u use ur windows phone to its full extent and love customizing.. i would stick with the touch pro.. if you like to keep it simple with a nice interface and dont mind the lack of support... then get the iphone. remember that while we have devs to fix any problems or enhance our phone, people with iphones have to wait for an official update and that doesnt always go that great. Most of our programs are found free on here and other sites. you'll probably spend $$$ on programs on the iphone. and i hear they have orb now, but didnt we have that like a year ago? and i don't think u can tether either cause they took down the program that enabled that in the app store the moment it came out ha. you'll have to jailbreak ur phone if you dont want to feel like ur confined in jail. weigh your options and choose wisely, u know urself best and probably know what ud to be happy with in the long run.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I don't have an iphone but I have friends that do.

For what it does, it is Excellent. It is just fun to play with. Very intuitive and it works pretty much out of the box. Also loading programs, songs and videos via itunes is easy (perhaps the hallmark of the iPod/iPhone legacy). But of course it's not for everyone.

The WiMo phones are much more customizable but that's the rub. You NEED to be a bit technically inclined to take full advantage of the power of a WiMo phone. I'd say if you are reading this forum, you probably fall into that category.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo

jimd144 is keeping up the good workjimd144 is keeping up the good work

It's also on an expensive carrier, at least compared with Sprint.

But, with Sprint trading at $1.50 today, they may not be here in the Spring.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

eptd is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
I don't have an iphone but I have friends that do.

For what it does, it is Excellent. It is just fun to play with. Very intuitive and it works pretty much out of the box. Also loading programs, songs and videos via itunes is easy (perhaps the hallmark of the iPod/iPhone legacy). But of course it's not for everyone.

The WiMo phones are much more customizable but that's the rub. You NEED to be a bit technically inclined to take full advantage of the power of a WiMo phone. I'd say if you are reading this forum, you probably fall into that category.
That's the thing for me...I wonder if we need to make all these customizations because the Pro just doesn't work the way we want it to out of the box.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptd View Post
That's the thing for me...I wonder if we need to make all these customizations because the Pro just doesn't work the way we want it to out of the box.
The pro works FINE out of the box though. There's nothing being done to make it function correctly, only make it run a little smoother and look prettier. I see customizing this phone (like adding custom roms and such) as being a bit like overclocking. You've gotten what you've paid for the moment you buy a cpu, but as soon as you add some voltage and up the speed, all that is free performance.

Try using an Instinct. Almost nothing works and on top of that, there is absolutely nothing to be done about it.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 & HTC Hero

sikclown is keeping up the good worksikclown is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptd View Post
Besides using the phone of course, I do a lot of email, and I use the internet a lot. I watch a lot of video but it's not necessary. Just like to grab a nice couch at the mall when the wife's shopping. lol.

I thought I would need a hard keyboard but the iphone keyboard works pretty well. A lot better than the touch pro on screen keyboard.
I find the Touch Pro beats the iPhone hands down on the email front. Especially since I use Exchange with Push Email. iPhone beats the TP on video playback but the windows os has alot more options on available players and file formats. The thing I prefer on the internet side on my TP is the use of Pocket IE when I don't need the full website view. PIE loads much faster in my opinion and it is nice to have two browsers.

As far as keyboards go I make way more mistakes on the iPhone typing than on the TP mostly because i use the hard keyboard 95% of the time. Just my personal preference.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 & HTC Hero

sikclown is keeping up the good worksikclown is keeping up the good work

On another note I have done side by side comparisons on a few websites with my Touch Pro and iPhone and my TP renders slightly faster and I am really starting to love the Opera browser
Old 11-20-2008, 02:59 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

I am an Iphone poweruser. Iphone has a hardcore 3d engine. it can perform 1080P full HD video. Same quality as Bluray disc. It can be a remote control for various devices including roomba.LOL. It can be a touchpad for PC's. It is customizable in a different level. WM customizes by immitating other devices. Iphone owners does not do that coz they think it's a downgrade for the Iphone. Tethering functions is coming soon. Pls seach Youtube for videos of their games tht will amaze you. Start searching with this keywords. iphone starwars then go to related videos for more.

I am WM poweruser too and I do a lot of things with my WM device. I tether a lot with my WM and I paid low monthly payments.

I am the consumer. These devices are made for me. So why would I limit myself to pick just one if I can have 2?

To people that don't know, If the monthly payment for the Iphone is high, It's not the device's problem. It's the carrier. Iphone is a great piece of technology. U wouldn't know if U just tried it. Or ur friends has 1. U have to mod it like we mod WM.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:02 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

I too am considering getting the iphone. My work's exchange server doesn't seem to want to work with my phone. I can do activesync just fine and all, but then I wonder what's the point of having a phone like the TP if i can't get my work email away from work?

On top of that, I used to watch movies on my old instinct all the time here in my office.

So really, it comes down to a few things for me, and multimedia presentation is a big one, and that seems to be where the iphone excels over the TP. I still enjoy the openness of the TP though. I don't like how Apple has such a tight grip on the iphone. I mean what's the deal with flash? Cmon apple.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison