PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 11:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Gh05t is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: mogul owner. what will you do?

maybe you should just sell the mogul and use a cheap spare phone until the pro comes out. but then you still might get a good amount for it when the pro is out. I paid like 200 for a used 6700 when the mogul was out and the new ones were about 250 or more. If it ends the same you could jus keep it for now.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

drexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocochannel View Post
the thing is im scared the mogul will lose value when the pro comes out so i wont be able to resell it for that much
You're gonna have to end up paying $399.99 plus tax (before mail-in-rebate) anyway. Are you trying to have your Mogul end up paying for the Touch Pro? If so, do you have another phone that you connect to the line, prior to the launch of the Touch Pro?

The plan that you were talking about (getting the Diamond first and then exchanging for the Touch Pro) will result in you paying full price for that phone anyway. I'm a 'bit confused as to what your actual goal is.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

heem_infinite is just getting started

does anyone know excactly when the pro comes out on sprint?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:40 PM
VIP Member

drexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by heem_infinite View Post
does anyone know excactly when the pro comes out on sprint?
Look through the other Touch Pro threads. All the information has been posted several times on a lot of the threads in the HTC Raphael forum.

10/15 telesales
10/19 in store
Old 09-17-2008, 02:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

cocochannel is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
You're gonna have to end up paying $399.99 plus tax (before mail-in-rebate) anyway. Are you trying to have your Mogul end up paying for the Touch Pro? If so, do you have another phone that you connect to the line, prior to the launch of the Touch Pro?

The plan that you were talking about (getting the Diamond first and then exchanging for the Touch Pro) will result in you paying full price for that phone anyway. I'm a 'bit confused as to what your actual goal is.

yeah the goal is to have the mogul to pay for the pro.
yea i have a cheap phone i could connect in between. but i was thinkin of gettin the diamond in between instead so i dont have to deal with the cheap phone. but without using the discount so i can use it for the pro instead.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:02 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
yeah the goal is to have the mogul to pay for the pro.
yea i have a cheap phone i could connect in between. but i was thinkin of gettin the diamond in between instead so i dont have to deal with the cheap phone. but without using the discount so i can use it for the pro instead.
Okay, let's review the plan you are considering doing:

1) Buy the Diamond full price (let's use 9/21/08, since that is around the max 30 days for exchange) $549.99

2) Sell the Mogul (hopefully for as much as possible), but let's say $200 (to be conservative)

3) Exchange the Diamond for the Touch Pro 10/20 (just in case it's not fully available in the store until the 10/19 date that's been posted).

Flaws I see from doing this:
1) Paying full price for the Diamond when you don't really intend on keeping it anyway.
2) You'd still end up being short $349.99, even after you sell the Mogul, for at least 30 days
3) If you intend to return, instead of exchange for the Touch Pro...yes, you can get all of the discounts for the Touch Pro, but if you use the discounts on the Diamond up front, all you'd need to do is pay the difference ($50) between the two phones.

Here's what I was suggesting:
1) Change your service on that line to your alternate phone for a little over 30 days (no hassle, you can call in to do this).
2) Sell the Mogul online, let's assume $200 (at this point, you're +$200 and nothing out of your pocket...plus, you have wasted less time)
3) 10/19 comes around, you are eligible for $200 of instant rebates, bringing the price down to $399 (from retail price of $599). $200 you got from your Mogul brings the price to $199 out of pocket initially. MIR gets you an additional $100 back, so out of pocket ends up being $99.

Okay, so my plan takes less time, less hassle (already save money there. Time=Money). You dont' have to fork over a BULK amount of money up front and settle for a "credit" to your account instead of immediate refund.

All-in-all, it comes down to the fact that you'd rather "waste" time on the back-and-forth (while having a "cool" phone), rather than putting up with a "crap" phone for 30+ days (or less, depending on when you decide to sell your Mogul).

Last edited by drexappeal; 09-17-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

sptop is a n00b
What I would suggest is to wait for them to give u an exchange. The mogul is already hard to find in stores and will be end of life (eol) soon after the touch is released. Which means stores won't carry them in stock. Then bring your phone in with irrepairable damage that is not your fault (i.e. screen or water don't count). They will have to give you a new touch pro since that is all they have in stock to replace your broken mogul.

If you have one of those moguls that just won't break (very rare mine last less than 2 months) u can try the following.

1.install street fighter or similar game and play it every day. Your keyboard will start to break after 2weeks.

2. watch a lot of videos. This overheates the cpu and it burns out the cpu pretty quickly takes about 1 month.

3. Join a very active forum like xda and subcribe the messages feeds. You will burn out the slider and the keyboard with this one.

That my two cents. I have been thru 6 moguls in the past year doing these activities. They upgraded me from an apache for the same reason. Hopefully they have fixed these problems in the pro so I never need a replacement again!

Last edited by sptop; 09-17-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:13 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptop View Post
What I would suggest is to wait for them to give u an exchange. The mogul is already hard to find in stores and will be end of life (eol) soon after the touch is released. Which means stores won't carry them in stock. Then bring your phone in with irrepairable damage that is not your fault (i.e. screen or water don't count). They will have to give you a new touch pro since that is all they have in stock to replace your broken mogul.

If you have one of those moguls that just won't break (very rare mine last less than 2 months) u can try the following.

1.install street fighter or similar game and play it every day. Your keyboard will start to break after 2weeks.

2. watch a lot of videos. This overheates the cpu and it burns out the cpu pretty quickly takes about 1 month.

3. Join a very active forum like xda and subcribe the messages feeds. You will burn out the slider and the keyboard with this one.

That my two cents. I have been thru 6 moguls in the past year doing these activities. They upgraded me from an apache for the same reason. Hopefully they have fixed these problems in the pro so I never need a replacement again!
I must be in the "rare" group because the biggest problems I had were 1) the threaded text messaging cab developed for Palm (it would open, without prompting it and also would send 3-4 duplicate messages). 2) battery life was really bad last month and replaced it for the first time.

Either way, I've actually been extra happy with my Mogul. I just hope the Touch pro maintains the same pattern of being a reliable phone.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

cocochannel is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Okay, let's review the plan you are considering doing:

1) Buy the Diamond full price (let's use 9/21/08, since that is around the max 30 days for exchange) $549.99

2) Sell the Mogul (hopefully for as much as possible), but let's say $200 (to be conservative)

3) Exchange the Diamond for the Touch Pro 10/20 (just in case it's not fully available in the store until the 10/19 date that's been posted).

Flaws I see from doing this:
1) Paying full price for the Diamond when you don't really intend on keeping it anyway.
2) You'd still end up being short $349.99, even after you sell the Mogul, for at least 30 days
3) If you intend to return, instead of exchange for the Touch Pro...yes, you can get all of the discounts for the Touch Pro, but if you use the discounts on the Diamond up front, all you'd need to do is pay the difference ($50) between the two phones.

Here's what I was suggesting:
1) Change your service on that line to your alternate phone for a little over 30 days (no hassle, you can call in to do this).
2) Sell the Mogul online, let's assume $200 (at this point, you're +$200 and nothing out of your pocket...plus, you have wasted less time)
3) 10/19 comes around, you are eligible for $200 of instant rebates, bringing the price down to $399 (from retail price of $599). $200 you got from your Mogul brings the price to $199 out of pocket initially. MIR gets you an additional $100 back, so out of pocket ends up being $99.

Okay, so my plan takes less time, less hassle (already save money there. Time=Money). You dont' have to fork over a BULK amount of money up front and settle for a "credit" to your account instead of immediate refund.

All-in-all, it comes down to the fact that you'd rather "waste" time on the back-and-forth (while having a "cool" phone), rather than putting up with a "crap" phone for 30+ days (or less, depending on when you decide to sell your Mogul).
ARE YOU SURE 100% that if i buy the diamond at a discounted thru retentions and i wanna exchange it for the pro all i'll have to pay is $50 difference?

if so all i'll do is I'll buy the diamond for about $200 (from the stories on the diamond forum its totally possible) and sell my mogul 200-250 and then exchange my diamond for the pro after 30 days... how bout that?!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:05 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
ARE YOU SURE 100% that if i buy the diamond at a discounted thru retentions and i wanna exchange it for the pro all i'll have to pay is $50 difference?

if so all i'll do is I'll buy the diamond for about $200 (from the stories on the diamond forum its totally possible) and sell my mogul 200-250 and then exchange my diamond for the pro after 30 days... how bout that?!
I'm sure, as long as you're within the 30 day exchange period. I had to exchange a phone that I bought for my Mom and the one I exchanged for was more expensive...when I brought it into the store, I just had to pay the difference.

That being said, you're taking the chance that there will be no additional delays on the Touch Pro release "in store."

More power to you if you can get the Diamond for $200, but even if you do, it's most likely that they'll most likely make you pay the difference on the Touch Pro.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison