PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Which carrier for a HTC Diamond
Sprint 139 81.29%
Verizon 17 9.94%
AT&T 5 2.92%
other 10 5.85%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 05:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond

mtkates is keeping up the good workmtkates is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC Diamond/ Sprint or Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youmoussa View Post
For the material part, it's clear. But I didn't know about the network. If I'm stuck with a 2-years plan, maybe I would prefer to buy it at full price with no carrier's subvention (just using the carrier's subvention to resell the phone).
I would give Sprint a try first. Even if you sign the 2 year contract, you get 30 days to try it out and if you are not satisfied, you can get a refund on the phones (if you don't mess them up) and only have to pay for the 30 days usage. Have the Sprint sales person show you that part in the contract.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:11 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
For the material part, it's clear. But I didn't know about the network. If I'm stuck with a 2-years plan, maybe I would prefer to buy it at full price with no carrier's subvention (just using the carrier's subvention to resell the phone).
welcome to USA! not really possible yet (at least with CDMA). verizon will accept some phones that were not sold by them, but you have to send it to them for ??days/weeks, so they can "verify" it is compatible with their system.
don't worry, there's a lot of legal action and legislation in the works to hopefully change this, but don't hold your breath.
but like I said, it looks like the coverage between the two carriers will be the same soon, as 3rd parties begin to own all the towers. the carriers are basically just becoming resellers of services.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

gsvnet is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
I have not had any major problems with Sprint network wise. It's on par with Verizon around here, at least in my experience.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Wizard (Orange M3000)
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

Youmoussa is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkates View Post
I would give Sprint a try first. Even if you sign the 2 year contract, you get 30 days to try it out and if you are not satisfied, you can get a refund on the phones (if you don't mess them up) and only have to pay for the 30 days usage. Have the Sprint sales person show you that part in the contract.
I will check this. Especially if we choose a share plan. I really need to ask if I can get a cheaper talk plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
welcome to USA! not really possible yet (at least with CDMA). verizon will accept some phones that were not sold by them, but you have to send it to them for ??days/weeks, so they can "verify" it is compatible with their system.
don't worry, there's a lot of legal action and legislation in the works to hopefully change this, but don't hold your breath.
but like I said, it looks like the coverage between the two carriers will be the same soon, as 3rd parties begin to own all the towers. the carriers are basically just becoming resellers of services.
So, because of the technology (CDMA), you cannot have all carriers, and even for all CDMA carriers, you can not change easily. That's too bad.

I will definitely try with Sprint. As I just arrived in the US, I'm curious to see what kind of papers they need to open a new line.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
So, because of the technology (CDMA), you cannot have all carriers, and even for all CDMA carriers, you can not change easily. That's too bad.
no, it's because the FCC lets them get away with it.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Youmoussa is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
no, it's because the FCC lets them get away with it.
You're just talking about Sprint/Verizon?

But with the Sprint's Diamond, can you get 3G access with AT&T for example? (if I want to change later)
Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Youmoussa is a n00b

Quote:
GSM means Global System for Mobile communications and CDMA is Code division multiple access, they are different technologies for cellular.

GSM is the only one in the U.S. to use SIM cards.

Verizon and Sprint = CDMA and T-Mobile and at&t = GSM

With CDMA, if you do get an unlocked phone, you have to talk to your carrier about transferring your number and contacts over to that phone (you can't do it yourself). Many of the time, they may not do it (any carrier wants you to buy from them).

You have a better chance using an unlocked phone on a GSM carrier as you can just pop out the card and put it in another phone.
Ok, I have learned today that it's possible to use a phone without SIM card!! It's surprising it is not more used in Europe as carriers could get try to sell phones more often.

So if my future Diamond got a problem, I can't use another phone...
Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

just has to be a phone from/for that carrier. ( $7 insurance is recommended on these expensive phones)
and correct, cdma does not use a sim card, the slot is sometimes there, just no reader or programming to support it.

Last edited by shaggylive; 08-28-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TouchPro2
Carrier: at&t/sprint

remydakid is keeping up the good workremydakid is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to remydakid

dudee i love sprint.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TyTn II
Carrier: ATT

azazelx is a n00b

im sorry but ATT is the better carrier, sure it has higher prices, but its got waay better customer service, doesnt cut you off for a few cents or dollars overage, much faster service, and all you need to do to switch phones is just switch the sim card and it works, adding video calls to their network soon, imo theyre just a much better company

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison