PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Which carrier for a HTC Diamond
Sprint 139 81.29%
Verizon 17 9.94%
AT&T 5 2.92%
other 10 5.85%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Wizard (Orange M3000)
Carrier: AT&T

Youmoussa is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation HTC Diamond/ Sprint or Verizon

As I'm new in the US, I need an US mobile and I would like the HTC Diamond. It seems that it will come to Sprint and Verizon in the next month, but in a different model.

The Sprint version is almost like the european one (except for the better battery/bigger size). The Verizon version is supposed to have a SDCard expansion slot but no motion sensor.

I think I prefer the Sprint version, but I've read that there are huge differences between mobile carrier in the US (absolutely not the case in France). I live in San Francisco and would like to access to internet with my phone.

So I need some help to decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diamond1.jpg (208.1 KB, 100 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Youmoussa; 08-28-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Re: HTC Diamond/ Sprint or Verizon

I stick with sprint. their phones are direct from the manufacture, where it seems verizon feels the need to have the phone (shell/casing) conform to their standards (which have proven poor) I have seen many phones over the years released for both carriers and the Verizon versions always seem to make thier way back to the store, broke.
also at the moment, it seams verizon does not provide a PDE server to aid in gps locks. that may change when they finally get the touch diamond/pro, but don't hold your breath.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

cjbreisch is just getting started

I agree completely with Shaggy. I live in fear of the day that I see the headline "Verizon to purchase Sprint".
Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

Fresh2Death is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Fresh2Death Send a message via Yahoo to Fresh2Death

id say sprint is ur best bet.

when i look at the the photo of the specs u have, i dont really much of a different between the two carriers except that they sprint has motion sensor and verizon doesnt/ verizon has sd card slot (worthless compared to motion sensor) and sprint doesnt. like i said early... sprint is ur best bet.
previous owned phones - Apache 6700, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, Nexus One - current phone in use : Nexus One
Old 08-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Youmoussa is a n00b

Thanks all for your answers.

I have never read so far about so specific phone for verizon. I'm glad I asked. The official ROM won't probably stay long, as there are so many improvements with cooked ROMs. Do you think that I need to make some kind of reservation or preorder when it will be possible? I hope there won't be so many people that want this phone as with the iPhone.

I'm surprised to see how expensive are data plans. We will open 2 lines (one for my wife, another for myself), but as we don't know much people here, we don't need many minutes for talk. Isn't it possible to pay somewhere less than $70/month? The Sprint's Everything plan offers 450 minutes. Does it include receiving calls?

I don't really understand what is Direct Connect. Can someone explain me what it is?

Last edited by Youmoussa; 08-28-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:02 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

yes, sprint got rid of it's free incoming plan.
direct connect is the walkie-talkie style communication, which is only usefull when working with a group of people on say a job site, where everyone needs notified, otherwise it's a glorified way to make a phone call. (mostly for nextel converts)

good luck getting a diamond, as far as i've know, there are no reservations, but work with a local store and you may get lucky and have a rep hold 1or2 for you when they come out. you'll also need to work with them for the best option for your plan, as i'm not sure what data options are available on the lesser minute plans. I'm on an old plan and unlimited data was only $15 per line.

good luck, welcome to the site & USA!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Youmoussa is a n00b

Thanks !

I have read many times that Sprint was the cheaper carrier for data, but it seems it's not the case anymore : it's just the same plan price for an Iphone. I will go to a Sprint branch, but I never really trust what they said (in France, most of the times, they really suck).
Old 08-28-2008, 04:33 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

yea, that was the case, but it seems their gearing up for a possible tower sale, to companies that own most all the other cdma towers. good news for reception, bad for $.

also sales people are not to be trusted, unless in writing. many will say whatever you want to hear, just to make the sale.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

gsvnet is becoming a great contributor

The Sprint version has a faster processor, double the RAM, and the motion sensor. The only thing the Verizon version has on the Sprint version is the microSD. This choice should be pretty easy
Old 08-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Youmoussa is a n00b

For the material part, it's clear. But I didn't know about the network. If I'm stuck with a 2-years plan, maybe I would prefer to buy it at full price with no carrier's subvention (just using the carrier's subvention to resell the phone).

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison