PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 10:57 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Thinking about moving on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
If you talk about screen space... the 4.5" screens just aren't as "big" as the smaller screens that have a physical keyboard because once the keyboard is out, you lose the 4.5" screen and it is half that. With a physical keyboard, the TP2/epic/shift keeps their original screen space.
thats the biggest reason I need a keyboard phone..

Quote:
I'm waiting till WP7 tiles get added to android :S
There have been WP7 themes for a while already for Android.

Quote:
About the Sero 500 plan, have you thought about trying virgin mobile if they are good in your area? the prices can go down to $35/month for android devices and they got some nice ones out. If it's the cost of the phone, you can buy one from craigslist for fairly good condition phone at cheaper prices. Then sell it on craigslist again if you decide you dont want it and you'll just be out of the cost of the time you spent on virgin. But you'll have to keep paying the sero plan while you test this because you dont want to lose it in case you want to go back :S
Virgin Mobile is Sprint..that said Sprint has been planning to add Data throttling to Virgin Mobile soon :/

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2 (R.I.P) / htc EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premuim
Threadstarter

aedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Its not too much of an issue because letters pop out when you hover over them and are only typed on release so you would know which key you are on. Capacitive screens are also easier to type on by hand.

But hey who am I trying to convince, for me a keyboard phone is vital too lol

ya i know all that, the tp2 does the same thing.
its just that aty the rate tht i type, it doesnt always show the pop up response.
and if it does, its only like a milisec and I cant really read it

on top of wich I have mensioned that with my tp2 slowing down, i have to stop and wait till the phone catches up from being like 5 or 6 words behind befor i can make sure that it is actually registering what I want it to.
and in the times where its catching up, I have absolutly no way of knowing what I actually hit because while im waiting the keyboard lights and pops up everywhere as if I was still typing.

I dont have that issue with a physical keyboard. I get it right the first time around lol
Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

aedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
About the Sero 500 plan, have you thought about trying virgin mobile if they are good in your area? the prices can go down to $35/month for android devices and they got some nice ones out. If it's the cost of the phone, you can buy one from craigslist for fairly good condition phone at cheaper prices. Then sell it on craigslist again if you decide you dont want it and you'll just be out of the cost of the time you spent on virgin. But you'll have to keep paying the sero plan while you test this because you dont want to lose it in case you want to go back :S

I have concidered it. I just havnt really been happy with the device available through virmoble.

And its not just the devices available in my area, even online direct from their website.

the coast of the phone isnt the issue. I have the money for a new phone if i want it.

My brother has a virgin mobile phone and it seems to work fine (as far as service goes)

I just dont like whats available at this point in time through them
Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

have you thought about buying one from craigslist and playing with it? I mean android phones can make wifi calls/surf web so it's pretty much the same as an activated phone if you are able to connect to a wifi. Then you can sell it again on craigslist for the same that you bought it for. At least the older phones now aren't really depreciating as much, EVO 4g/Epic 4G are around $100-150 and I can't see them dropping below that. Not the "top" android phones now but good enough to try out android if you want a real android phone and not android port on tp2

I agree with the previous people about wp7 :S I tried it on tp2 and while I like it and can see myself using it, it's too simplistic that I'd regret not getting an android over it lol.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:05 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
have you thought about buying one from craigslist and playing with it? I mean android phones can make wifi calls/surf web so it's pretty much the same as an activated phone if you are able to connect to a wifi. Then you can sell it again on craigslist for the same that you bought it for. At least the older phones now aren't really depreciating as much, EVO 4g/Epic 4G are around $100-150 and I can't see them dropping below that. Not the "top" android phones now but good enough to try out android if you want a real android phone and not android port on tp2

I agree with the previous people about wp7 :S I tried it on tp2 and while I like it and can see myself using it, it's too simplistic that I'd regret not getting an android over it lol.
Ive played around with my brothers android. its pretty much the same as the port I use on the tp2.

I havnt found any virgin mobile android phones i like tho so there is no sense buying one.

Id hae to wait and see what there next line up is cause their current one doesnt impress me
Old 09-27-2011, 04:54 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

...I kind of lost track, but how is T-Mo in your area? I only ask because you can get an HD2 cheap of craigslist, and put Winmo 6.5.3, Android, and WP7 on it...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
...I kind of lost track, but how is T-Mo in your area? I only ask because you can get an HD2 cheap of craigslist, and put Winmo 6.5.3, Android, and WP7 on it...
good point Doc. Btw, does the hd2 connect to their 4g network? Just curious.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedon View Post
Ive played around with my brothers android. its pretty much the same as the port I use on the tp2.

I havnt found any virgin mobile android phones i like tho so there is no sense buying one.

Id hae to wait and see what there next line up is cause their current one doesnt impress me
The experience you get on the TP2 android port(Intercept is effectively equivalent to a TP2 android port lol) and a higher end Android phone is kinda worlds apart...
Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 WM+XDA
Carrier: Boost

Sc/ant864 is keeping up the good workSc/ant864 is keeping up the good workSc/ant864 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
The experience you get on the TP2 android port(Intercept is effectively equivalent to a TP2 android port lol) and a higher end Android phone is kinda worlds apart...
That may be true but you must admit that the fact that it's able to do so is undoubtedly proof that the TP2 was ahead of it's time, and keep in mind there is no rooting with android ports as there is already access.

Sent from my ppcT7380 Ti/FRX06-07 via PPCG app

GBX0C buttery goodness with 3.3.8 kernel sprinkled on top.
Looking for another cool mobile forum? Don't join Howard Forums because they sick a duck.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc/ant864 View Post
That may be true but you must admit that the fact that it's able to do so is undoubtedly proof that the TP2 was ahead of it's time, and keep in mind there is no rooting with android ports as there is already access.

Sent from my ppcT7380 Ti/FRX06-07 via PPCG app
Not really, the TP2 spec wise is around that of an HTC Hero so its not really that surprising. If anything Android is less bloated then windows mobile and easier to port, heck you can get almost any device running Android. As for rooting, if the phone is a none HTC/Motorola phone. Rooting is easier then cake.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison