PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Oh No! Is anyone with 3D going to Samsung S II ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
3D cable card O.o...I don't you know what a cable card is...you don't connect anything to it..and all data is received via standard copper RF wire...

And that guys limitation is his Tivo box..not the cable card...
I know what a cable card is, lol.

If you read that thread, the Tivo was not the problem. He (and several others) actually got the Tivo working. The problem was when Comcast tried to activate that cable card. And none of them ever did get it fully functioning. They could get some programming, but not all.

Like I said, it doesn't meet the required specs for 3D (which require an HDMI 1.4 connection to a device that identifies itself as being a 3D device). Someone actually mentioned this in that thread too. So you may get lucky and get it to work here and there with some things, but it is not supported and will probably not work with most things.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
100 years? we have hologram technology now..its just expensive...

Show me a place that says Evo3d is same...that owned/used both of them...
Their the same phone people. Just different companies and slightly different cameras. Some people are just ignorant.

Sent from my EVO 3D using PPCGEEKS Android App
Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDynamite View Post
Like I said, it doesn't meet the required specs for 3D (which require an HDMI 1.4 connection to a device that identifies itself as being a 3D device). Someone actually mentioned this in that thread too. So you may get lucky and get it to work here and there with some things, but it is not supported and will probably not work with most things.
that doesn't make sense..cable get signals via RF cables, direct tv gets signals wirelessly..those 2 techs are not HDMI 1.4 and yet transmitting 3d signals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
Their the same phone people. Just different companies and slightly different cameras. Some people are just ignorant.

They are not the same phone lol..for one Samsung makes most of the parts themselves...or your saying samsung made the Evo 3d? lol

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
that doesn't make sense..cable get signals via RF cables, direct tv gets signals wirelessly..those 2 techs are not HDMI 1.4 and yet transmitting 3d signals...

They are not the same phone lol..for one Samsung makes most of the parts themselves...or your saying samsung made the Evo 3d? lol
I'm talking about the htc sensation not samsung.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:05 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
I'm talking about the htc sensation not samsung.

oh..you said "different companies" so I assumed HTC and Samsung..:/..you meant different carriers?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:26 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
that doesn't make sense..cable get signals via RF cables, direct tv gets signals wirelessly..those 2 techs are not HDMI 1.4 and yet transmitting 3d signals.
No cable box or Directv receiver that I know of displays a 3D video (or any other video for that matter). They receive a digital data stream and they convert it to a video stream. And the spec for displaying a 3D stream requires that the device be connected via HDMI 1.4 and identifies itself as a 3D device.

So when you connect your tv to your cable box, you won't receive that 3D stream unless it meets those specs. The cable companies, cable card makers, and so on all agreed to meet these requirements in order to use 3D. So if you can get it to work outside the required spec, good for you. But chances are most things will not work. Like the guys in that link I posted, you may get it to work here and there, but it will probably not work with most things. And it should be noted that some of the people in that link never got any of it to work at all.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:08 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
No cable box or Directv receiver that I know of displays a 3D video (or any other video for that matter). They receive a digital data stream and they convert it to a video stream. And the spec for displaying a 3D stream requires that the device be connected via HDMI 1.4 and identifies itself as a 3D device.

So when you connect your tv to your cable box, you won't receive that 3D stream unless it meets those specs. The cable companies, cable card makers, and so on all agreed to meet these requirements in order to use 3D. So if you can get it to work outside the required spec, good for you. But chances are most things will not work. Like the guys in that link I posted, you may get it to work here and there, but it will probably not work with most things. And it should be noted that some of the people in that link never got any of it to work at all.
The 3D spec works outside of hdmi 1.4..otherwise it would be impossible for companies to ever bring you 3d broadcasts...aka HDMI 1.4 allows for 3D spec..but its not mutually exclusive...When you receive data the data is just data..then the device decides what to do with it...

In case of cablecard, you receive signal via RF, then the cable card then authenticates the signal, and then the tuner sends the signal to the GPU..the GPU has support for 3D, HDCP, HDMI 1.4 you name it and can be distributed throughout...
Old 07-27-2011, 03:27 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
The 3D spec works outside of hdmi 1.4..otherwise it would be impossible for companies to ever bring you 3d broadcasts...aka HDMI 1.4 allows for 3D spec..but its not mutually exclusive...When you receive data the data is just data..then the device decides what to do with it...
Wrong. The 3D spec requires HDMI 1.4. And no, it's not impossible for companies to bring 3D broadcasts. Like I said, your cable card is not receiving a video stream. It is receiving data. In order to display that data as a video, it needs an HDMI 1.4 connection with a device that is identifying itself as a 3D device. Again, you may find some backdoor way to get around this required spec and get it to work intermittently with some things, but you will probably have issues with most things.

Quote:
In case of cablecard, you receive signal via RF, then the cable card then authenticates the signal, and then the tuner sends the signal to the GPU..the GPU has support for 3D, HDCP, HDMI 1.4 you name it and can be distributed throughout...
Why don't you actually try this before you continue to make this bogus claim. You keep talking about this but it's plainly obvious you have no idea and are just throwing out your best guess and acting like it's a fact. I have news for you- that will probably NOT work with most things. I posted a link already with several people having problems even getting their cable card activated for a 3D signal, and when they did it didn't work on most things. You seem to think it doesn't work like that. Well prove it. Try it out and then come back and admit you were wrong.

Again, the 3D spec requires an HDMI 1.4 connection to a device that identifies itself as a 3D device. If you don't have that setup, then you are not within the 3D spec and it probably won't work.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:14 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Wrong. The 3D spec requires HDMI 1.4. And no, it's not impossible for companies to bring 3D broadcasts. Like I said, your cable card is not receiving a video stream. It is receiving data. In order to display that data as a video, it needs an HDMI 1.4 connection with a device that is identifying itself as a 3D device. Again, you may find some backdoor way to get around this required spec and get it to work intermittently with some things, but you will probably have issues with most things.
No it doesn't:

Save your money: You don't need fancy "HDMI 1.4" cables for 3D TV

as long as the HDMI cable has the bandwidth regardless of version it can do 3D and manufacturers are PROHIBITED from marketing the cables as required for 3D...

Quote:
Why don't you actually try this before you continue to make this bogus claim. You keep talking about this but it's plainly obvious you have no idea and are just throwing out your best guess and acting like it's a fact. I have news for you- that will probably NOT work with most things. I posted a link already with several people having problems even getting their cable card activated for a 3D signal, and when they did it didn't work on most things. You seem to think it doesn't work like that. Well prove it. Try it out and then come back and admit you were wrong.

Again, the 3D spec requires an HDMI 1.4 connection to a device that identifies itself as a 3D device. If you don't have that setup, then you are not within the 3D spec and it probably won't work.
HDMI is also not the only technology capable of doing 3D..it is jsut one of the specs...there is Active Display Port, Dual Link DVI...

The biggest limitation to 3D is that it requires connectors with more bandwidth then normal as your getting 2x more data..if you have the bandwidth to support it then its not a problem..

Now if you read through the Tivo thing you would also realized that the problem was on comcasts end..look what people said:

Quote:
Comcast is clearly misinformed. Initially I tried to get ESPN 3D on my TiVo Series 3 with no success - just a black screen. Because TiVo sometimes doesn't display what a normal Comcast cable box would in the event that the channel isn't available, I had no idea whether it was a limitation of the TiVo or whether I just wasn't 'subscribed' to the channel. After a call to Comcast that took much longer than it should, I got the story.

1. You do NOT need a Comcast cable box. TiVo (Series 3 at least, what I have) works. ESPN3D will show up in side by side format.

2. If you are getting black screen, you must call Comcast and ask them to add the code to 'subscribe' to the ESPN 3D channel. It's stupid because it's already part of your service and costs you nothing extra, but without this code, it acts like a premium channel. No code, no service. I can't remember the code that the guy was mumbling while reprogramming, but what he did say is that his supervisor had to add the code, so that may be a clue.

How do I know all of this? Because even *TiVo* told me that their boxes do not support 3D. So I went to Comcast and picked up a supported DX3400 box (ugh, can't wait to give it back). The moment I connected it, channel 898 showed up with a message "SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE" call for activation info.

Sure enough, after activation, I brought my TiVo back to the living room, hooked it up, and no more black screen!

Good luck -- hope this helps others.

and this guy who is using Verizon...

Quote:
Guys, I dont have Comcast (I have FIOS), but I recently TIVO'ed the Pats game in 3d on Fios TV HD1. I have an old S3 and it works just fine with 3D. 1.4 is not needed. Just a channel with 3d content. So Comcast is definitely jerking you around in some way.this is excellent news, so basically verizon fios 3d is compatible with tivo.

So see..even your own link proves me right..
Old 07-27-2011, 05:25 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
No it doesn't:

Save your money: You don't need fancy "HDMI 1.4" cables for 3D TV

as long as the HDMI cable has the bandwidth regardless of version it can do 3D and manufacturers are PROHIBITED from marketing the cables as required for 3D...
We aren't talking about CABLES here. We're talking about HDMI DEVICES. If the DEVICE isn't HDMI 1.4 and identifying itself as a 3D DEVICE, then it does not meet the 3D spec. And in your own link, it clearly says:
"Some of the confusion stems from the fact that 3D TVs and Blu-ray players have newer HDMI 1.4 connections. In an earlier blog, I discussed what the new HDMI 1.4 specification added, primarily new Ethernet and Audio Return channels, plus support for 3D technology, higher 4K (4,000 x 2,000) resolutions, expanded color gamuts, and new automotive connections. The 3D portion of the spec helped define the common 3D formats and resolutions (including support for dual-stream 1080p), and standardized the inputs and outputs so that any manufacturer's 3D Blu-ray player would work on another brand's 3D TV, and vide versa. (A subsequent addition to the standard, called HDMI 1.4a, adds mandatory support for several 3D formats by broadcasters.)"

So I agree. You can absolutely get by with a cable not labeled as an HDMI 1.4 CABLE. But the DEVICE itself has to support HDMI 1.4, as your own link clearly states.

Quote:
HDMI is also not the only technology capable of doing 3D..it is jsut one of the specs...there is Active Display Port, Dual Link DVI...
Wrong. Again, prove it. Connect your PS3 or bluray player to any of those and then come back and admit you were wrong.

Quote:
The biggest limitation to 3D is that it requires connectors with more bandwidth then normal as your getting 2x more data..if you have the bandwidth to support it then its not a problem..
Wrong. It also requires the ethernet return channel and a device identifying itself as a 3D device.

Quote:
Now if you read through the Tivo thing you would also realized that the problem was on comcasts end..look what people said:
Uh, I read through it and I told you from the start the problem was when Comcast tried to activate it. It worked just fine with all the 2D channels, the problem was when they tried to add 3D channels.

Quote:
and this guy who is using Verizon...

So see..even your own link proves me right..
Nobody, not one person in that link, claims they had it working 100% of the time for 100% of the programming. Your Verizon guy was only saying his Tivo worked just fine, NOT the cablecard. So again, not sure what you are arguing here but it seems like you are just reaching and hoping your best guess as to how it works lands close to reality. Seriously man, you are way off on how this works.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison