PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
“Bet you wished you never did that.”

If I worked in Google, that is what I would be saying to the people at Apple/AT&T right now. After rejecting the Google Voice App last Thursday (see here), someone got mad and decided to call up our good friend: the FCC. The FCC responded by launching an investigation last night to find out what happen and sent letters to all three companies (Apple, AT&T, and Google).
Now this is interesting. Of all cases, why did the FCC get involved with this one? iPhone apps are rejected everyday for the same “reason” – duplicating features already on the phone. But the Google Voice App rejection caused a much bigger turmoil. The FCC saw this and decided that they could use it to push a bigger policy agenda. As it turns out, their investigation is not just about the rejection of a single app; it’s the FCC’s way of forcing providers to open up cell phone networks to be as uncontrolled as the Internet.
As of the time of this posting, AT&T has told the FCC that they allow any app/phone on their network. This would mean that it is Apple who rejected the GV App. When we hear back from Apple we will find out if they were pushed to reject the GV App by AT&T or not.

More info is available here.
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
5. Everyone who thanks my post will receive instant karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
MordyT is right.

Last edited by mindfrost82; 08-06-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Removed title in post
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: “Bet you wished you never did that.”

Makes sense. When have you ever heard of the providor rejecting an app?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:47 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

If I were running things @ Google, I'd pull all of the current Google iPhone apps and support in retaliation... Until Apple folds and gives in
But deep down, I'm a spiteful kinda guy. Y'know Eye for your eyes, a tooth for your teeth, 1 app for all apps.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (XV6900) dual boot Android
Carrier: Money Grabbin' Verizon

inertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to inertone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
Makes sense. When have you ever heard of the providor rejecting an app?
didnt t-mobile reject all tethring apps on android?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertone View Post
didnt t-mobile reject all tethring apps on android?
I stand corrected. I just looked that up and find a few articles on the matter. So I guess the answer to my first post is: yes.

Last edited by mlin; 08-02-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Lame. The FCC and the government need to stay out of the private sector.

"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher"..wmdunn
"I am Mulhiny and I'm a phone junkie"..Riley
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hybrid Touch Pro2

Tilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuff
Thumbs down Re: “Bet you wished you never did that.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulhiny View Post
Lame. The FCC and the government need to stay out of the private sector.
Wait... So you are saying that you agree with companies limiting what consumers -who buy the product in full hard cash, are allowed to do on their property [in this case being the craPhone]? If something is mine I will do whatever the crap I wanna do with it... Screw Apple... I've been a PC Tech for about 14 years and to this day I have NEVER taken kindly to anything Apple related... Bunch of goons...

Last edited by Tilde88; 08-02-2009 at 06:09 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: touch pro, diamond

cndm101 is keeping up the good workcndm101 is keeping up the good work

they said no so they can release the next i phone for $800 with the capabilities of the GV app. just like they did with the 3gs that has the amazing power of sending MMS.

<edit> **edit** i forgot about the jaw dropping copy and paste feature as well as the god like voice command</edit>
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hybrid Touch Pro2

Tilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndm101 View Post
they said no so they can release the next i phone for $800 with the capabilities of the GV app. just like they did with the 3gs that has the amazing power of sending MMS.

<edit> **edit** i forgot about the jaw dropping copy and paste feature as well as the god like voice command</edit>
What? Apple wouldn't do that!! Lol don't you know? Apple re-disabled MMS on the 3gS because of a few malfunctions...

On the craPhone 3gS2 it might have it and GV... $1500.... $2200 If you want it unlocked... LMAO... What a horrible company... I can't wait till Google because the next Apple... And Steve Jobs can go down with the P.O.S. company too!
/endrant

Last edited by Tilde88; 08-02-2009 at 06:17 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch

bestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Only way i see this why Apply would reject GV application is because it has been asked to do so by ATT . Since FCC got involved i guess ATT dont feel like king no more !!

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives