PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TouchPro,Mogul,Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

junior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to junior1234
Talking Re: “Bet you wished you never did that.”

No fan of Apple ,but I do support their ability to do this if they so wish and actually hope that these practices push the competition to better products that I can use on whatever carrier and with whatever programs I,you know the person who pays for the equipment and service, want.Thats I why I appreciate the work that goes on in these forums so much and I dont have to hold my head down when I walk into a room full of spoon-fed, IPHONE toting wannabes. I dont have to get permission from Gates or Ballmer to get a program on my phone ...Is there an app for that??? lmao
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hybrid Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Tilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuff
Re: “Bet you wished you never did that.”

(REQ)App to ask permission

a poster said earlier about an app for permissio for teh iPhone? Where I can findz0r?!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: Verizon/T-Mobile

sleepymia is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to sleepymia

I'm trying to wrap my head around this and maybe you can help. So, let's say Apple said "no GV on the iPhone" and AT&T agreed. Does this even break a law? Why should the FCC step in? Is it because so many higher ups at the FCC have iPhones and want to add an app? That can't be it, it seems so petty.

Bottom line, Apple and AT&T can do what they want to the iPhone. Verizon strips down phones and makes people pay for VZ Navigator when the phones already came with free GPS....wouldn't this be the same thing? Where is the FCC? Perhaps I'm missing something....
Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepymia View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around this and maybe you can help. So, let's say Apple said "no GV on the iPhone" and AT&T agreed. Does this even break a law? Why should the FCC step in? Is it because so many higher ups at the FCC have iPhones and want to add an app? That can't be it, it seems so petty.
No, nothing illegal.

I really don't think the FCC has a place in it at all, the BBB is better fit.
The only issues is why one App (Skype) passed Apples rules of submission but not Google Voice, especially when the (vaguely detailed) explanation for rejection, was a duplication of features the phone already had.
So there is a discrepancy in the App store rule book somewhere that Apple isn't revealing.

So there is something wrong but not illegal, the FCC has no place to nose in.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:34 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Here's the latest Update. Apple board of director Schmidt is resigning due to this drama. LOL

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835
Old 08-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: Verizon/T-Mobile

sleepymia is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to sleepymia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjinaro View Post
No, nothing illegal.

I really don't think the FCC has a place in it at all, the BBB is better fit.
The only issues is why one App (Skype) passed Apples rules of submission but not Google Voice, especially when the (vaguely detailed) explanation for rejection, was a duplication of features the phone already had.
So there is a discrepancy in the App store rule book somewhere that Apple isn't revealing.

So there is something wrong but not illegal, the FCC has no place to nose in.

I guess we can't do a "thanks" on these threads, but thanks! I appreciate the confirmation. I agree with you, the FCC should have better things to do than step into grey areas like this. Actually, it's not even a grey area since you said no law was broken. Hm...the things our government does sometimes.

(Doy! I just found the dang thanks)

Last edited by sleepymia; 08-03-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Talking Re: “Bet you wished you never did that.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by 551skydiver View Post
Wow.... like the new look round here but its the same 'ole politics. Scream if someone is stepping on your toe and snicker if you are stepping on someone else's.
you and I seem to not like politics, it's here though, unfortunately... it's everywhere, like it or not, everywhere...

one thing I know, you can't have politics and advancement... that does not mix

Opposite of pro is con
Opposite of progress is congress
Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceXMachine View Post
Uhhh yeah it does. And you are overstating the fact by saying "...people want to put crap on their iPhone...". I am sure the Twitter app and the plethora of other apps that got denied were all real pieces of junk </SARCASM>. It IS the governments job to *****slap mega-corps trying to impose their will on the consumer. Where government goes wrong is when it does nothing, or comes in and stays in. Like I say, get in, get off, then get the **** out.
No, it is not the government's job to slap mega corps. Maybe in the sense of some sort of monopoly, but there are certainly other cell phones and carriers out there. IMO the government's only job is to protect it's citizens. Not decide what apps can be put on a phone. That is up to the company that built the device. Don't get me wrong it's not like I'm anti government, if fact I work for the Department of Defense. If no law is broken, FCC needs to stay out.

"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher"..wmdunn
"I am Mulhiny and I'm a phone junkie"..Riley
Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulhiny View Post
No, it is not the government's job to slap mega corps. Maybe in the sense of some sort of monopoly, but there are certainly other cell phones and carriers out there. IMO the government's only job is to protect it's citizens. Not decide what apps can be put on a phone. That is up to the company that built the device. Don't get me wrong it's not like I'm anti government, if fact I work for the Department of Defense. If no law is broken, FCC needs to stay out.
Well I wonder what would have happened before monopolies were "illegal" if the government hadn't stepped in and made them so? And we are not talking about "The" government or the government as a whole, but a branch of the government that deals with telecommunications (primarily). Oh, fancy that, the iPhone is a telecommunications device. The manufacturer of a product DOES NOT have the right to tell a consumer what they can/cannot do with their device unless it is a matter of law, liability, safety etc (there are legitmate reasons for something to be denied). Otherwise, that would be like Ford/Chevy/etc telling you that you cannot buy an aftermarket radio/cigarette lighter/muffler/headlights/steering wheel cover etc etc and put it in your car. In the same way Dell cannot tell you what you can/cannot on with your PC, Apple should not be allowed the level of control it has on what apps are "allowed" on the iPhone. I could really care less since I will never own the device, but this is one of the main reasons why. I said it before, the iPhone is not your (your, being the consumers) phone, its Steve Jobs' (and company's) phone. I don't think the BBB would be able to do much in this regard but I wouldn't suspect them to do anything about it in any event....I can see that conversation right now. BBB rep: Some geek is complaining that he can't get "google voice" on his iPhone and its a conspiracy between AT&T and Apple to stifle inovation and blah blah blah. BBB reps Supervisor: What is "google voice"? A ringtone or something he wants??? And who uses AT&T??? (haha j/k)...It's just sad, you cannot give me a legitimate reason for this that doesn't involve corporate greed.
"There is no such thing as a stupid question" is just as ridiculous as saying "There is no such thing as a stupid answer". This proves there are also "stupid statements". There are probably alot of "stupid ideas" too. And what do all these things have in common? Stupid people.

Remember to say ...Preferrably by clicking the button instead of wasting valuable forum space
Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Ace, without quoting your entire post I can say that you have made me see your point..to an extent. I just think of it this way. The App Store for Apple is just that. A store. Can't stores be allowed to decide what they will and will not carry? Does Walmart have some obligation to sell a 32" Sony LCD simple because they carry other brands? I mean, yes corporate greed is at play here. Where the money is. It's the American way.

Last edited by mulhiny; 08-04-2009 at 09:20 PM.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives