PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think WinMo Will Survive?
Yes 125 86.21%
No 20 13.79%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 03:50 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Will Windows Mobile Be There In The Future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaDarla View Post
I wouldn't trade my TP for an iPhone either, and I could have EASILY went with that phone and saved some money in the process

I saw that commercial a little while ago, like copy and paste is something no one has ever been able to do until now I got a kick out of it LOL!!]
yea, every time it's on, I simultaniously laugh and want to brick my tv. thank god for dvr.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:32 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman

The problem with y'all is that you are too one dimensional. You think WM is the only thing out that that you can use and that's it, nothing else compares, except for the fact that Android has surp***** WM on ability and creativity. I mean, their first version and device (G1) broke sales records and was deemed the best thing out there, and once Hero comes out it will further advance the Android world.

Still Android is not the only thing, there is Palm, which is quickly becoming a top competitor to BlackBerry now since it's resent release of the Palm Pre.

BlackBerry had a huge hit with the Storm, but they limited it to Verizon which hurt them....they have much much more support for their OS then WM does, sadly...it's true

And last but very very not least iPhone....ok they didn't have copy/paste, they didn't have MMS, they didn't even have video....o but wait!!! WM didn't have MMS for a very long time. Then when we did it it, they took it away....but now it's back. Copy/paste, I mean really do y'all even use it on a PPC? I find it much easier just to type the thing over again then trying to select the text then holding it down copying it, then pasting it else where, and video....lol don't even get me started (but I will....) Let's not forget how horrible our devices are at video and picture taking. Up until the Diamond, no phone really could take a great quality picture or video, and the Diamond still can't....the next device that will defy the odds is the FireStone with a 5MP camera....And also the iPhone has alot more support then we do....again sadly but true, their app store is the most genius thing a person has ever created for any device ever

Not only can people post their apps, but they are being sold as well for real money....that's why their stuff is better and why Pandora is on iPhone not WM, because of the money, given WM is trying to make their own "MarketPlace" for WM6.5, a copy of iPhones, but then again is it ever coming? And will it even be worth it? I mean really who is going to want to buy an app from MS, when you can get it from someone else on XDA who made it themselves and updates it constantly, for free???

So that's why WM will fail, not because they made WM6, then 6.1 right after, then WM 6.5 a year after that(which is understandable), but then bringing WM7 out in 2010, and thats if it even gets here, my bet is it doesn't make it to our devices officially by 2011 because of the lack of motivation by MS for WM
Old 07-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Hercules Valvalotus
Pocket PC: Nokia N900 as my tablet Tmo G2 for my phone
Carrier: T-mobile & Google Voice

TheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TheRealHotshot Send a message via MSN to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Skype™ to TheRealHotshot

Why do ppl bash winmo 6.5 upgrade? Ummm let a few in on a unhidden secret after winmo 6.5 there IS NO upgrade to winmo 7 unless you buy a phone capable with the spec's to run it! Seems a lot of ppl keep forgetting that every winmo phone out right now cap out at winmo 6.5! I can just image they skipping winmo 6.5 leaving up high and dry with just 6.1 and than if you wanted winmo 7 get a new phone as long as winmo 6.1 been out. Come on guys and gals ppl would have been ready to raid M$ HQ and you know it and not to be funny but its winmo ppl why do you need an app store when 1. Most apps/programs ppl make is free! 2. Make ya own apps than install right on your phone don't need to jailbreak your phone or get some "company" to approve it. Come on ppl its winmo we got it made in the shade with lemonade IMO

*formerly known as Not_A_Stain*

GOOGLE WAVE USER
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 AM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

WinMo will survive as long as there is a market for it and right now, along with RIM, they have a strong following in the business community. iPhones were a nightmare for the IT departments in many organizations in the begining and that turned off others companies from switching. Other OSs like Andriod and WebOS will have a small impact on this market but WinMo will survive because Microsoft has learned to adapt and improve their mobil OS on a regular basis. This was the downfall of Palm in the PDA market.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC touch
Carrier: Sprint SERO

badchad is becoming a great contributor

I agree with whosdaman.

The next year will be HUGE in determining where mobile platforms stand. THink about thats happening:

1. In the next year, we'll find out if Palm OS sinks or swims. It'll be available on other carriers in a year and probably have additional hardware. We'll know where Palm is.

2. Android will expand to other carriers. Right now, being only on t-mobile will is really limiting them. We'll know where android fits in once they expand to other carriers and the OS matures.

3. RIM is making strides with hardware (storm). We'll see where that shakes out.

4. Iphone may be available on other carriers. I also think they'll make a more significant hardware upgrade in light of this.

5. WM 7.0 lands.

It'll be quite interesting over the next 365 days. IMO MS needs to release WM 7.0 before the 4th gen. iphone.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 AM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

WinMo will be around with the roaches after a nuclear fallout. We will see roaches with HTC Heroes. well, not see because we will be gone but.... sorry, tangent

Edit-wow, asterisks lol ill delete that part since everyone knows what roaches are.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"

Last edited by nxtech3; 07-01-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

kingsfan626 is a n00b

I love my Touch Pro but my Palm Pre does make things run a lot smoother. Microsoft just needs to find a way to make the OS smoother and less bloated and it can dominate again.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

I mean seriously, if anyone actually thinks that wm won't be around then something is definitely wrong with the way you think. Yes microsoft did shoot themselves in the foot with the wm platform but that was because there were basically little to no compitition to give microsoft the push they needed to create something truly inovative. Right now there is alot of compitition from the iphones and the android phones and both platforms are great. Microsoft has deeper pockets than anyone else, we all know that, so they are going to do what it takes to be number one or atleast get close to it as possible.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Fuze (HTC Touch Pro)
Carrier: ATT

3DPiper is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Microsoft just needs to find a way to make the OS smoother and less bloated and it can dominate again.
I agree. I have an old Cingular 8125 that I have basically turned into a MP3/Video player for my kids. When I dusted it off and turned it on, I was AMAZED at how fast it is! Switching from menus and starting programs was near instantaneous. Of course, when there are no sliding/zooming/flicking/animating menus, it sure saves a lot of time to get where you want to go..

-Matthew
Old 07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

WinMo will always survive. And so will all the other OS's. The 100+ million cell users in this country have different tastes and needs in a cell phone. Some want the business aspect and some want the multimedia aspect. Some want both!

WinMo's problem is that it stinks in trying to do both. The OS demands (for some reason) an ungodly amount of super hardware to run correctly. And when it does, our batt life sucks to high heaven. It's a trade off. I can't really blame M$ for all the shortcommings, I have to blame the manufacturers too for making underpowered hardware. WinMo just tries to pack so much in so little space it bogs the phone down like a led weight.

The Palm Pre's Os does almost as much as a WinMo device, not quite, but getting there. I will say that the Palm is much snappier but it for the most part, is a multimedia device. It's built mainly for social networking. Sure it does email and etc, but so do most phones now. Pics are just ok on it and video is better but for a business machine, it's just not there.

The Iphone, I hate crapple. I just love the way crapple adds a feature and makes it out as if it's the coolest thing since sliced bread even though it's been done 5 times over. But blame it on the unsuspecting crapple users that eat, sleep, and breath crapple. They look up to Steve Jobs as a god and have no clue what is up with the rest of the world. Only what is up with the crapple world. There app store is bloated with novelty apps and only a few that actually have a real purpose. Come on, shake the phone and it pics a restaurant for you to eat at?? How many times would you actually use it? Once, twice...maybe? Yeah, you can make money, only if it sells, and crapple gets 50%. I for one, will not purchase anything crapple. That goes for ipod, iphone, or any software therin. I try to even circumvent using quiktime.

I for one love WinMO, but it does leave me wanting more.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives