PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side
Threadstarter

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How-To: Root your Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrumo View Post
Is anybody successfully running wifi tether ?
I am running wi-fi tether, unfortunately the kernel still has back light issues so it really chews on some battery
Why donate to one person, when you can support the site that makes it all possible instead

Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Sprint

kyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkjam View Post
I am running wi-fi tether, unfortunately the kernel still has back light issues so it really chews on some battery
I have wifi tether installed but my computer is not seeing it
Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work

Wifi Tether is very temperamental at this point. I've gotten it to work for about 10 minutes max, then it just stops working for no reason (although my computer can still see and connect to it). It's still in alpha testing, so I guess that's the reason why. Hopefully we'll see the bugs worked out soon.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 PM
VIP Member

kyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I love the way it works on my hero, I'm thinking that i'm missing something on the Droid
Old 01-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker

What I meant to say is that Droid support for it is in alpha testing. If anyone else has any ideas to get it working more reliably it would be greatly appreciated!

I suppose this whole thing is a little off-topic though...I'm going to create a new thread for it actually because I'd really like to get it working more consistently. It's really handy for classes where I don't have WiFi access and I need to download something quickly.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM
VIP Member

I ended up using the nandroid back up that was created with the appropriate kernal and drivers for wifi tether already installed, seems to be as reliable as my Sprint Hero, I get 2100kbps with the Hero and 520kbps with the Droid, I wish Verizon's data coverage was better here because I would get me a Droid, its an awesome device, you guys are lucky
Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 PM
jlr40

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdherd View Post
Wifi Tether is very temperamental at this point. I've gotten it to work for about 10 minutes max, then it just stops working for no reason (although my computer can still see and connect to it). It's still in alpha testing, so I guess that's the reason why. Hopefully we'll see the bugs worked out soon.

I just got the Droid from VZW and used the free app "PDANet" to watch the Colts game on my drive from New Orleans to Pensacola, Fl. I didn't experience any problems watching the game. I was delay streaming (10min) on my HPdv7, and never got disconnected.

Back to the topic though, I really want to root my droid and have a couple of easy questions.
1. Will I lose the apps I have installed on my Droid.
2. Is there a way to increase the bandwidth of the phone.
3. And I use windows 7, one of the first instructions mentioned not to rename
using .zip, what does that mean for me?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Zombway: Eat Flesh
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: VZW

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr40 View Post
I just got the Droid from VZW and used the free app "PDANet" to watch the Colts game on my drive from New Orleans to Pensacola, Fl. I didn't experience any problems watching the game. I was delay streaming (10min) on my HPdv7, and never got disconnected.

Back to the topic though, I really want to root my droid and have a couple of easy questions.

Thanks.
rooting just gives you the root access and the superadmin program..

as for the renaming to .zip it means just don't add a .zip you need to go into folder options and unclick "hide known extensions" and then rename it to .zip
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr40 View Post

Thanks.
1. No, rooting will not affect the apps you have installed. If you root and then install a custom ROM and choose to overwrite /data then you would lose them, but otherwise no.
2. Nope.
3. By default Windows hides file extensions. So a file named "update.zip" will just show up as "update" in Windows Explorer. So you don't want to add a ".zip" to the end of if otherwise you'll have "update.zip.zip" (even though you don't see the second ".zip"). If you open Explorer and select "Organize" then "Folder and Search Options" then the "View" tab you can unselect a checkbox saying "Hide extensions for known file types". Then you'll always see the full file name (which I highly recommend doing).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:37 AM
jlr40

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

thanx guys, kinda had some free time so actually searched, i am rooted now. I appreciate the replies.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid