nerdherd
Regular 'Geeker

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How-To: Root your Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr40 View Post
I just got the Droid from VZW and used the free app "PDANet" to watch the Colts game on my drive from New Orleans to Pensacola, Fl. I didn't experience any problems watching the game. I was delay streaming (10min) on my HPdv7, and never got disconnected.

Back to the topic though, I really want to root my droid and have a couple of easy questions.
1. Will I lose the apps I have installed on my Droid.
2. Is there a way to increase the bandwidth of the phone.
3. And I use windows 7, one of the first instructions mentioned not to rename
using .zip, what does that mean for me?

Thanks.
1. No, rooting will not affect the apps you have installed. If you root and then install a custom ROM and choose to overwrite /data then you would lose them, but otherwise no.
2. Nope.
3. By default Windows hides file extensions. So a file named "update.zip" will just show up as "update" in Windows Explorer. So you don't want to add a ".zip" to the end of if otherwise you'll have "update.zip.zip" (even though you don't see the second ".zip"). If you open Explorer and select "Organize" then "Folder and Search Options" then the "View" tab you can unselect a checkbox saying "Hide extensions for known file types". Then you'll always see the full file name (which I highly recommend doing).
This post has been thanked 1 times.