PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Lurker

defiancecp is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
gps trouble?

Ok, I've been reading all day and my brain's turning to mush. Maybe I've made a dumb mistake, and if so, I apologize in advance, but believe me, it's not for lack of reading. Perhaps reading the wrong thing, or perhaps not properly processing it, but not lack of reading altogether.

So, I'm using a verizon vx6900. I've unlocked it (2.31), updated the radio with the bell version, and put on a nice custom rom. All that seems to be working fine. Now I'm trying to get GPS working with external apps.

I've applied the agps verizon fix, and have tried the telus version as well. In either case, when I go to google maps and select use gps, it sits there looking for satellites and finding none. I've got gps tool, but I'm not sure what that really is - If I click "open port" on it, I get a bunch of rows of $GPGGA,,V,,,,,,N*56 and other gibberish like that continuously flowing, but I have no idea if that means anything. When I switch to satellite view I show 1 or 2 bars lighting up red, then going away, etc...

Does that mean I'm just not getting enough signal? I've let it run 15-20 minutes at a time, and it still never "finds" (I guess that's what it's doing?) more than 1 or two. And this is standing outside under a clear sky, so I don't really understand why...

Any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: vzw

br125 is a n00b
Re: gps trouble?

needless to say there is a ton of posts about this so here's what works for me..

I personally use the telus settings in qpst:
PDE IP Address = 216.198.139.92
PDE Port Number = 8889
PDE Transport = IP
Position Calculation = mobile

Next make sure that your registry reflects these settings in
HKLM>Software>HTC>SUPL AGPS
Enable AGPS 1
Enable GPSSmart.... 1
Enable PDEIPFrom.... 1
GPSMode 2
NumberFixes 999999999
QoSAccuracy 50
QosPerformance 89
ServerIP 216.198.139.92
ServerPort 8889
TimeBetweenFixes 1

If that doesn't work, I honestly don't know what to tell you. As I'm not as qualified as many of the people on here to speak on this, but ever since we all on the VZ network have had trouble with GPS these settings get me to lock onto 6-12 sats under 10 seconds everytime.

Good luck and back everything up before messing around with qpst and your registry
Old 04-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: Verizon

cgancos is a n00b

I've done exactly what's listed in both posts here with no luck. I've had the exact same experience as defiance. I've flashed nearly a dozen times. I've got the same point as him, but I get no bars at all in GPS Viewer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level

I think I know why:HTC Touch/vogue/6900 are not all the same.
2 types of screen( bad and good quality)its easy to see from the angle view without screenprotector

same story with the microchips,and the worst part-you can not do much about it.
I flashed my good vogue around 275 times and never had a single problem with GPS or data,and never used any GPS viewers.It lockswithin 2-6 seconds
my second vogue is @$^&*
if you check NFSFANs 6.5 thread,some people complain on his gpsregenty.cabs (phone hard resets).I tested them too and everything works just fine ,and I dont see any difference before and after installation....may be gps locks on 1-2 sec faster.its hard to tell.

Last edited by vin255764; 04-14-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Lurker

cgancos is a n00b

I guess this makes sense. Mine would probably be one of the newer ones as I got it in June of 2008. Is there any way to know which revision you have? Can anyone else verify this?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Lurker

cgancos is a n00b

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of something: When you unlock the phone with cokeman's unlocker, does it have to be locked back in order for everything to work properly?

I'm just trying run some ideas through my head to try and figure out why this isn't working.

FYI under device information my hardware version is 0001
Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgancos View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of something: When you unlock the phone with cokeman's unlocker, does it have to be locked back in order for everything to work properly?

I'm just trying run some ideas through my head to try and figure out why this isn't working.

FYI under device information my hardware version is 0001
bad screen thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=26742

same problem with unlocker:some say yes,some say no.I unlocked my phone with imcokemans unlocker once and forever,no relocking,notrhing.

dood luck on research.im sure it can be fixed

Last edited by vin255764; 04-14-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim X51v, Tilt, 8525 VX6900, Imagio
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

jadesse is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post
Ok, I've been reading all day and my brain's turning to mush. Maybe I've made a dumb mistake, and if so, I apologize in advance, but believe me, it's not for lack of reading. Perhaps reading the wrong thing, or perhaps not properly processing it, but not lack of reading altogether.

So, I'm using a verizon vx6900. I've unlocked it (2.31), updated the radio with the bell version, and put on a nice custom rom. All that seems to be working fine. Now I'm trying to get GPS working with external apps.

I've applied the agps verizon fix, and have tried the telus version as well. In either case, when I go to google maps and select use gps, it sits there looking for satellites and finding none. I've got gps tool, but I'm not sure what that really is - If I click "open port" on it, I get a bunch of rows of $GPGGA,,V,,,,,,N*56 and other gibberish like that continuously flowing, but I have no idea if that means anything. When I switch to satellite view I show 1 or 2 bars lighting up red, then going away, etc...

Does that mean I'm just not getting enough signal? I've let it run 15-20 minutes at a time, and it still never "finds" (I guess that's what it's doing?) more than 1 or two. And this is standing outside under a clear sky, so I don't really understand why...

Any suggestions?
It almost seems like your GPS is working because you are seeing some satalite activity. However you said that you never see anymore that two & cannot get a lock.

I asume your phone came with WM6.1 installed & you let the customizations run. Letting the customization run will in effect lock the GPS. People have had success with the valhalla GPS server hack.

What ROM are you currently running? Since you are already running a custom ROM you may want to flash back to a pre-aGPS ROM & radio. Then flash back to WM6.1 & not let the customizations run. I have posted this thread before & people have had sucess. Personally I have not tried it because I did not need to as I never let the customizations run on my phone.

http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?t...IX_VERIZON_GPS
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue