jadesse
PPCGeeks Regular

jadesse is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: gps trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post
Ok, I've been reading all day and my brain's turning to mush. Maybe I've made a dumb mistake, and if so, I apologize in advance, but believe me, it's not for lack of reading. Perhaps reading the wrong thing, or perhaps not properly processing it, but not lack of reading altogether.

So, I'm using a verizon vx6900. I've unlocked it (2.31), updated the radio with the bell version, and put on a nice custom rom. All that seems to be working fine. Now I'm trying to get GPS working with external apps.

I've applied the agps verizon fix, and have tried the telus version as well. In either case, when I go to google maps and select use gps, it sits there looking for satellites and finding none. I've got gps tool, but I'm not sure what that really is - If I click "open port" on it, I get a bunch of rows of $GPGGA,,V,,,,,,N*56 and other gibberish like that continuously flowing, but I have no idea if that means anything. When I switch to satellite view I show 1 or 2 bars lighting up red, then going away, etc...

Does that mean I'm just not getting enough signal? I've let it run 15-20 minutes at a time, and it still never "finds" (I guess that's what it's doing?) more than 1 or two. And this is standing outside under a clear sky, so I don't really understand why...

Any suggestions?
It almost seems like your GPS is working because you are seeing some satalite activity. However you said that you never see anymore that two & cannot get a lock.

I asume your phone came with WM6.1 installed & you let the customizations run. Letting the customization run will in effect lock the GPS. People have had success with the valhalla GPS server hack.

What ROM are you currently running? Since you are already running a custom ROM you may want to flash back to a pre-aGPS ROM & radio. Then flash back to WM6.1 & not let the customizations run. I have posted this thread before & people have had sucess. Personally I have not tried it because I did not need to as I never let the customizations run on my phone.

http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?t...IX_VERIZON_GPS