View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
defiancecp
Lurker

defiancecp is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
gps trouble?

Ok, I've been reading all day and my brain's turning to mush. Maybe I've made a dumb mistake, and if so, I apologize in advance, but believe me, it's not for lack of reading. Perhaps reading the wrong thing, or perhaps not properly processing it, but not lack of reading altogether.

So, I'm using a verizon vx6900. I've unlocked it (2.31), updated the radio with the bell version, and put on a nice custom rom. All that seems to be working fine. Now I'm trying to get GPS working with external apps.

I've applied the agps verizon fix, and have tried the telus version as well. In either case, when I go to google maps and select use gps, it sits there looking for satellites and finding none. I've got gps tool, but I'm not sure what that really is - If I click "open port" on it, I get a bunch of rows of $GPGGA,,V,,,,,,N*56 and other gibberish like that continuously flowing, but I have no idea if that means anything. When I switch to satellite view I show 1 or 2 bars lighting up red, then going away, etc...

Does that mean I'm just not getting enough signal? I've let it run 15-20 minutes at a time, and it still never "finds" (I guess that's what it's doing?) more than 1 or two. And this is standing outside under a clear sky, so I don't really understand why...

Any suggestions?