PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 11:14 PM
GT!
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

GT! is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Notice About Stealing Software, NFSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
have you tried it? It probably isn't as hard as you think. It's far from mystical.
Yes, I use the PPC Kitchen to make my own rom. The PPC Kitchen is an amazing piece of work =D>, but it does take time & effort to use it to make a great rom. A lot of people appreciate a chef that will take the time to produce, test, and debug a good rom from a kitchen, or whatever tools they use.

-GT
Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: who knows
Carrier: probably sprint
Threadstarter

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT! View Post
I don't think it is as simple as that. Isn't the code is released to the developer community for them to use and include in their roms? I've looked at the nueUSB package that is distributed on xda and don't see anywhere a) a reference to who wrote it b) a requirement to give credit for using it c) restrictions to modifying the code. Perhaps I didn't come across the right posts to find this, but then perhaps NFSFan didn't either. I think calling it theft is a bit strong.

Please don't make me defend him anymore. I don't agree with what he has done either, I'm just trying to provide some balance to this thread.

-GT
Please cite where this is on XDA so I can have it removed. Thank you. This application is closed source, and after this turn of events I am very happy that I did NOT make my code open source. There is NO CODE released to the developer community and (b) and (c) are supposed to be included in the license agreement

also it is a component of nueROM so it falls under any included license agreement there, the license clearly specifies commercial distribution is illegal, the license includes an attribution requirement.

Last edited by no2chem; 09-15-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO
Carrier: Sprint

AceszHigh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAceszHigh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAceszHigh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAceszHigh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Aside from that, why in the world would someone take the time to EDIT THE CODE for the sole purpose of REMOVING the author's name?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT! View Post
I don't think it is as simple as that. Isn't the code is released to the developer community for them to use and include in their roms? I've looked at the nueUSB package that is distributed on xda and don't see anywhere a) a reference to who wrote it b) a requirement to give credit for using it c) restrictions to modifying the code. Perhaps I didn't come across the right posts to find this, but then perhaps NFSFan didn't either. I think calling it theft is a bit strong.

Please don't make me defend him anymore. I don't agree with what he has done either, I'm just trying to provide some balance to this thread.

-GT

HOW TO integrate all your custom settings and registry tweaks into a ROM..the EASY way!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Hell mobility

portenio is just getting started

...REALLY... No one is going to say this... gguruusa stired the s**t and NFSFan is banned.. and more importantly his good work that brought many members day in and day out to this forum...
NFSFan banned but gguruusa still "quoting" around...
One thing I have to point out to you gguruusa, you came into NFSFan thread with one mission in mind, to shut it down.. Congrats, you achieved it... (Your irc buddy must be really happy)...Too bad MODS do not realize this or perhaps they choose not to...(Who knows?) Nevertheless UNFAIR is what you want to take away from this post...
Well done MODS... Kudos... Real nice...

Edit: At least does anybody know where can I find NFSFan..?

Last edited by portenio; 09-15-2008 at 01:21 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPRO
Carrier: Verizon

NexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Wow are all Bell users this dumb?

ROM's
OEM's
CAB's

If something is password protected do not ask for the password as you will not get it. If you do not already know it you are not supposed to.

Remember to give thanks to those owed.......
no2chem - GGuruUSA - naigaman - Colonel - Tiermann - ImCoKeMan - helmi - dcd - luv2chill

Without all of whom none of this would be possible.

Donate to me!!!

Old 09-15-2008, 01:35 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Diamond, Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexVision View Post
Wow are all Bell users this dumb?
easy there budd..lol...

lets not be prejudiced... i completely disagree with the post by portenio, even though he is a very good friend of mine..

Last edited by mixxy; 09-15-2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: spelling..lol
Old 09-15-2008, 01:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Hell mobility

portenio is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxy View Post
easy there budd..lol...

lets not be prejudiced... i completely disagree with the port by portenio, even though he is a very good friend of mine..
Mixxy.. where you been buddy... stop kissing arse... LOL you agree with me and you know it... LOL
Old 09-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Diamond, Vogue

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Thumbs down Re: Notice About Stealing Software, NFSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by portenio View Post
...REALLY... No one is going to say this... gguruusa stired the s**t and NFSFan is banned.. and more importantly his good work that brought many members day in and day out to this forum...
NFSFan banned but gguruusa still "quoting" around...
One thing I have to point out to you gguruusa, you came into NFSFan thread with one mission in mind, to shut it down.. Congrats, you achieved it... (Your irc buddy must be really happy)...Too bad MODS do not realize this or perhaps they choose not to...(Who knows?) Nevertheless UNFAIR is what you want to take away from this post...
Well done MODS... Kudos... Real nice...

Edit: At least does anybody know where can I find NFSFan..?
portenio...u as much as i know that NFSFan did what he did, and there is no way for that to be justified. So before blaming mods for not doing their job, just take a second and take a deep breath and consider the sequence of events here. Whether guru had anything to do with the stirring or ANYTHING of such sort is irrelevant to the fact that NFSFan BLATENTLY changed the code in no2chems work to claim it as his.

It is however true, that the nail that stands out, always gets hammered. So keeping that in mind and NFSFans success, I will not say that his work was not valuable. But again, the idea here at PPCGeeks is to be courteous. When I was going to implement different dialers/apps in my rom. I sent out PM's to each developer and asked for their permission to use the ROM. The reason I've put my dev to a halt, is so that I can LEARN to code, not steal others codes.

Please put more thought into the matter. Whatever the feelings were towards NFSFan, he did something wrong, MORE THAN ONCE. And you're telling me that in such an event an individual should just be left to do what he does? Steal?

No! Definetly not!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:45 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia - HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell Mobility - Telus Mobility

chrispipe is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by walla View Post
There is an instant ban for a lot of other things on ppcgeeks. Like calling people names.
I was just suggesting a mere first warning for breaking rules on PPCgeeks would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
You're a tool. The work is No2Chems.
haha. great timing. i think the mods are right in banning him, however, i do think that he should have the right to explain himself or at least be able to comment on people flaming him. i've (kinda) been in a semi-similar spot. With a few that have posted on this thread, but as long as we are all active members on this community, a little flaming is to be expected (just as in the real world, if i go a week without telling one of my friends they are a b!tch or something like that, things just wouldn't be normal), so no hard feelings with me there. live and learn.

so i don't know really. you mods are right in your action, but i do think he should be able to... i don't know, comment? it kinda seems like you're putting the monkey in the cage before you light a fire under it's @$$. no?

and on another note, no2chems work, as well as most of the people who post software/roms on here, is great and very much appreciated. love the forum and the people on it, we're all here to learn.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

wolfdv is a n00b

So he used nochems work, big deal.. at least its being used; isnt that good enough. NFSFAN's roms are used by thousands of people, I would be happy just to know that my work was being used regardless of if I was credited or not. (I realize that nochem's work is used by most of the chefs for a variety of reasons, I think its already generally accepted by everyone that he has done alot for the ppc community (wouldnt be the same without him), regardless if he wasnt officially credited or not on this rom, oh well.

Yes, nfsfan should have gave nochem proper accreditation, but even if not .. so freakin what? really its just some code, in a matter of years it will be long forgotten anyways.

Banning a great chef, that at the moment has many many loyal supporters isnt the answer either. (it was his rom that brought many bell users to the forum, including myself)

I dunno, To be honest I think this whole mess has been blown out of proportion a bit...

ya Nochem, we know you do alot for everyone around here, but let it go, do you really have to be thanked and credited every single time? Seems a little conceited/arrogant to me..

NFSFAN should at least be able to defend himself from all the flaming and accusations ..

Last edited by wolfdv; 09-15-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue