PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy
Threadstarter

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New Official rom & live & gps bug.

agreed.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

meekell is just getting started

I've been unable to get a lock for weeks with the Official ROM. Using GPS Viewer I've been able to determine that the GPS receiver was locating the satellites, but I was unable to lock. I don't use Windows Live push mail, but I do use Seven Beta. After reading the previous posts, I opened the Comm Manager and turned off the "Microsoft Direct Push" option and also turned off the "Data Connection" option. Shortly after, the data connection reconnected on its own. I opened GPS Viewer and opened port 4. I quickly obtained a GPS lock!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch

hellomcfly is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
I think the battery helped because it wasn't done after flash...

I don't actually use Live, but any app that uses an always on data connection causes this..(scotty's sports...) basically if a normal data session is active before/during the agps attempt will prevent access to the PDE (agps) Server....

what is needed to fix this is figuring out how to access the pde server via a standard data connection, or a way to kill the data, before attempting agps.
Agree hope someone can come up with a fix for this, and my phone will be perfect!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch

hellomcfly is just getting started

What about turnning off agps just having regular gps. I recall there was some registry setting that was a numerical value that changed gps modes anyone know what that is, and the different modes?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

meekel, Im glad it worked. Just another confirmation to add to the list.Hellomcfly, well.... since it does Not go agps the it gecomes true gps and takes a long time to lock.Thats y agps is preffered.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc vogue

xteoos is a n00b

look like gps isn't working right for sprint touch latest updated for evey1.
Some working good and some don't,I've been reading this threads from the start
As for my touch I have no problem locking gps, everyday I turns Tomtom on and off more than 10 times/day to check whether the gps working consistently,take a few trip from 60 miles to 250 miles ( 3 trips) but have not seen any big problem except in SF downtown area the signal was lost couple of times then relock back in couple of minutes
due to high building surround.
Average locking time so far ranging from 10seconds to 5 minutes but most of the times under 3 min.
I don't use any reg hack or gps assitance or ppst.
I don't have data plan,vision or internet at all just plan phone.
Just wondering why it doesn't work for every1 with same devices same rom..???
I hope some 1 could narrow down the problem so GPS can be useful for all.

P/s: I use tomtom +gps launcher
Old 08-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Xteoos, welcome aboard the broken gps ship.Just to let you know I believe you aswell do ha gps issues. A real good consistant agps system will get a lock within 8 to 12 seconds about 95% of the times. You stated the you sometimes have to wait up to 5 minutes inwhich reminds me of my case. Sometime I wait 3 or 6 or on bad days even 10 minutes.But when I do disable my pushmail I always get a lock in under 12 seconds. And this is 100% of the times.And to answer you question in why theres different results on same devices with same rom. Its because some of us have pushmail in on way or another or a program that requires a automatic data connection.Those who do not have anything that connects their devices automatically to data seem to have a functioning agps.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Just a update. Apparently disabling everything that makes your vouge have a auto data connection fixes agps. I opened up my explorer to connect to edvo and tried the gps and guess what. Agps works. So manualy connecting to edvo does Not kIll agps.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: bell.ca

tichi is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckl_88 View Post
I just downloaded gpsviewer and turned off my Windows Live push email and soft resetted. I got the signal bars with the antenna (which means no data connection). When I start up gpsviewer and click on the open GPS button, I can see it's working but is it supposed to open a data connection? Mine doesn't... I still have the antenna as opposed to the data arrows.
that's what confuses me too (sorry if it is dumb but I just ndo not understand it..)

does AGPS use data connection or not
(I mean if it connects to an IP address, it should?)

but apparently it does not?

can someone shed some light on that?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Verizon XV6900)
Carrier: Verizon

denasqu is keeping up the good workdenasqu is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to denasqu
Talking Re: New Official rom & live & gps bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tichi View Post
that's what confuses me too (sorry if it is dumb but I just ndo not understand it..)

does AGPS use data connection or not
(I mean if it connects to an IP address, it should?)

but apparently it does not?

can someone shed some light on that?
And the answer is... maybe.

Normally no, but sometimes yes. AGPS, by definition, connects to an Assistance Server (a big compter) via the cellular network. The Assistance Server is connected to the satellites and it uses the cell towers to roughly figure out where you are, then the Assistance Serve sends you info about the satellites so your GPS can lock in quicklier.

Whether or not the data connection is required is up to the cell carrier and how they are utilizing the Assisstance Servers. It sounds like the Sprint guys are getting data connections automatically with AGPS. Verizon certainly is not (at least in S.Florida). However, having a data connection established with Verizon may help according to some. I don't notice any difference myself. Lord knows what the other carriers are doing.

I think the issue here is not whether these updating apps intefere with actual data connections but the issue is that they interfere with the transfer of "data" from the AGPS Assistance Servers... whether it be via the cellular network or the data network. Just my two cents.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue