PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

pureguava is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is for Alltel...

First, I'd like to ask for this to pertain to Alltel ONLY. On almost EVERY thread I read that starts dealing with this, someone comes along and says, "Sprint blah, blah, blah, blah...." and it's hijacked and doesn't relate to it any more.

Thanks

Start to finish:

(Yes, it is enabled)

1) I upgraded to the new ALLTEL ROM Version 3.04.671.2 at http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.aspx?p_id=64&act=sd

2) Then I went to http://www.smartdevicefreeware.com/h...l-htc-ppc6800/ and it worked!

At some point I soft reset it and Google Maps just searches now....

3) So, not really finding any clear definition on the dll activation/primed/pumped/whatever, I went to and ran http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...43&postcount=2

4) No go. Then http://code.baf.cc/gpstoggle/GPSToggle.cab.

Still, no go. Any ideas?

(BTW, I do not have any external GPS anything. It ran just with the phone.)

Thanks a million and hopefully any Alltel users will find a direct answer
Old 07-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue & HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Former Midwest Wireless forced to Alltel and soon to be Verizon

zeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: This is for Alltel...

this method was already posted a LONG time ago...

Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Threadstarter

pureguava is a n00b

...... this method of it not working?

I appreciate the reply, but... what can I do to resolve it?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Verizon/legacy alltel plan

zim2704 is just getting started

i am with alltel also and have tried everything i can find to get the gps working but to no avail. if you get a solid solution to this let me know.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

BigRedGonzo is becoming a great contributor

I have an Alltel HTC PPC6800. I then followed the instructions on a thread on this forum concerning copying 4 files to the device and installing them one at a time. After each install, you soft reset and then after the last one you go to start>settings>phone>services tab>highlite Locations Settings>click get settings and then make sure the setting is on. I have done this twice on this phone and the GPS has worked perfectly each time.

I tried to find the exact thread and could not, but I do know that the files came from XDA Developers site.

I know this is vague, but its the best I can do and it does let you know that the GPS works with the Alltel version and works well.

BigRedGonzo
Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid

ajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuff

i use the 6800 also. (i think i might have given you a hand sometime gonzo?) the stock rom for alltel doesnt have gps but there are workarounds for the 6800, not sure about the 6900 though- but i wouldnt see why not since they are very similar phones.

my reccomendation would be to just flash a custom rom. youll get windows mobile 6.1 and gps activated already (neither of which you get with alltels stock rom), so you dont have to do any workarounds. im not familiar with any roms for the 6900 but it isnt hard to find out who's talking about what roms the most.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6.0
Carrier: Alltel MP6900

Stevevo is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm144k View Post
i use the 6800 also. (i think i might have given you a hand sometime gonzo?) the stock rom for alltel doesnt have gps but there are workarounds for the 6800, not sure about the 6900 though- but i wouldnt see why not since they are very similar phones.

my reccomendation would be to just flash a custom rom. youll get windows mobile 6.1 and gps activated already (neither of which you get with alltels stock rom), so you dont have to do any workarounds. im not familiar with any roms for the 6900 but it isnt hard to find out who's talking about what roms the most.
I did the 4 program downloads and installs and I have the 6900 and got it to work. It didn't take long but works off and on. I have to prime it with the GPSViewer and then it usually works. It finds lots of satelites and then when I push the top button to wake it it turns on the satelites with blue filled. Then I turn on Google maps and go into menu and click on use GPS and then it shows where you are and you can move an it shows you where you are going and it is pretty acurate.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:29 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

snake0721 is a n00b

I actually enable the GPS on my alltel device, but only to a certain degree, as my GPS coordinates are off... sometimes by like, 5 miles.

anyone else having THIS issue?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch (Vogue)
Carrier: Allhel

xxTouchFloxx is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake0721 View Post
I actually enable the GPS on my alltel device, but only to a certain degree, as my GPS coordinates are off... sometimes by like, 5 miles.

anyone else having THIS issue?

i have an alltel touch and in google maps it says im in india, i live in florida a little more than 5 miles its really annoying. i know of no way to fix it.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800 & Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

shadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on rep

see my post.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=27180

its for titan though. so i dont know if it will work. i was under the impression the radio rom being up to date was more important then the main rom. if u have the newest radio for the touch, try the 4 files patch trick. (just skip the part where i tell ya to download the rom.) then try google maps.

Last edited by shadow-tech; 07-21-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue