PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 10:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: WM6

evandena is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ICS w/ BT on Mac - only works ocne

Hello,
Here's the deal... ICS works great with Bluetooth PAN on my Macbook Pro, but it works only once. If I don't connect for a couple hours, it won't work.
I can see the device in the bluetooth menu, but when I join network, nothing happens.

What I have to do to then get it working is delete the device and run through the setup wizard again.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue (Sprint Touch)
Carrier: Sprint: $30 SERO

tatnai is becoming a great contributor
Re: ICS w/ BT on Mac - only works ocne

I've had problems with bluetooth connection on my mac too. I've tried while using missing sync, and it worked once, and now it won't work again. I was wondering if anyone has noted if there is any difference between initiating the initial parring from the phone, or from the Mac? Will try both, repost later.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon

Spencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSpencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSpencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Spencer_Moore

never had any problems after device setup make sure you start ics before trying to connect to it
Old 07-20-2008, 02:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

evandena is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatnai View Post
I've had problems with bluetooth connection on my mac too. I've tried while using missing sync, and it worked once, and now it won't work again. I was wondering if anyone has noted if there is any difference between initiating the initial parring from the phone, or from the Mac? Will try both, repost later.
I've tried initiating the pair from either, and it seems to make no difference. Though it is easier to initiate it from the phone, because I can choose the PIN instead of a longer random PIN that the mac created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer_Moore View Post
never had any problems after device setup make sure you start ics before trying to connect to it
I've tried all the obvious steps, but thanks.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

evandena is a n00b

last attempt at an answer....

bump
Old 07-27-2008, 08:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

OK, here's what worked for me. I deleted all bluetooth setup on my mac. Then I followed the Missing Sync instructions - basically, initiate the bluetooth connection from the Vogue, not from the Mac, and all has been working. Don't know if this is how you've been doing it already, but if not, give it a shot.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp

It works fine on my mac, sometimes it gets locked up, just turn the bluetooth off back on and try to reconnect...
Old 07-28-2008, 12:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

evandena is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatnai View Post
OK, here's what worked for me. I deleted all bluetooth setup on my mac. Then I followed the Missing Sync instructions - basically, initiate the bluetooth connection from the Vogue, not from the Mac, and all has been working. Don't know if this is how you've been doing it already, but if not, give it a shot.
If you could, please reply to this thread in a couple of days, letting me know if it is still working. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Thumbs up Re: ICS w/ BT on Mac - only works ocne

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandena View Post
If you could, please reply to this thread in a couple of days, letting me know if it is still working. Thanks.
*This gets me connected to MissingSync, don't know if this will help in any way with ICS*

Ok, here's what I did to get a reliable connection after installing MissingSync, some steps are probably not necessary but it is what I did:
1. First, I connected with USB to easily load MissingSync files onto my vogue, it does this automatically; just connect it to the Mac with the cable (don't know if this is necessary). I then disconnected from USB.
2. Set both phone and mac to discoverable
3. Waited 1 minute
4. On Mac, went to my bluetooth settings in System Preferences and created new connection by hitting the "+" sign
5. Followed wizard, entered key on phone, Connected! MissingSync should take over at this point, and connect to your device

The problem with reconnecting is with ActiveSync. You must first turn on bluetooth BEFORE opening up ActiveSync. If you enter ActiveSync and go "Menu" > "Connect via Bluetooth" WITHOUT FIRST TURNING ON BLUETOOTH, you will get an error message that says:
"Cannot connect using bluetooth to a PC that supports ActiveSync. You may be out of range. Would you like to create a Bluetooth partnership with a different PC?"
This occurs because ActiveSync is turning on bluetooth and trying to connect to the server at the same time, and doesn't find a connection because bluetooth isn't given enough time to initiate fully. If you hit "No", and then simply retry "Menu" > "Connect via Bluetooth", it will now work because bluetooth was initiated on your first attempt, and is now ready and waiting. I just keep things simple and always turn on Bluetooth before trying to connect in ActiveSync (I use AEBPlus to map the camera button Long Press to toggle bluetooth on/off). This may or may not be similar to the reason why ICS has not been reliable for you.

After figuring this out, I set both the mac and the Vogue to not discoverable, I restarted them, I repeatedly connected, then would restart one or the other, and it worked every time. It is now very reliable for me.

Hope this helps.

EDIT 1: ICS working great after multiple reconnects, restarts. So after doing steps 2-6 above, I connected as follows:
1. Turn on bluetooth on vogue and Mac
2. open internet sharing on vogue
3. select Bluetooth PAN, click Connect
4. (I have bluetooth showing in taskbar on Mac) Click on "Bluetooth" > under Devices "Your Vogue's Name" > "Connect To Network"
So far has been pretty straightforward, and works every time.

I'm getting speeds of 150 Kb/Sec dl, 60 Kb/sec ul. Should be faster with USB. Has anyone used USB ICS with a Mac?

OMJ 3.09 custom w/ M2D

Last edited by tatnai; 08-01-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue