PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 08:41 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Sprint

Temujin is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery Life Management (Vogue, dHarvey)

I am currently running the latest dHarvey Black Vista ROM.

In the past 13 minutes, my phone has gone from fully charged to 95%. The only usage I had, other than unplugging it, was receiving and checking 3 push emails, which I promptly closed. I then turned off the screen.

Why is my battery dying so quickly? I had the same issue when I installed the ROM on the dead pixel phone (which I exchanged for this one.) This phone is only a day old, so it makes absolutely no sense for the battery to be this weak.

My bluetooth is off, I don't have any applications running. Even so, my processor usage is 45-50% and the battery drain is constant.

Some people have suggested to disable the built-in weather client (how?). It's exceptionally convenient for me, so I'm hesitant to do so. Can anyone else confirm this?

Another post said I should let the battery die all the way and keep turning on the phone till there's none left. I should then keep doing this each time I use it for several days, as I need to "teach" the battery/processor circuitry the true size of the battery (which was reset somehow during an upgrade).

Any further suggestions or comments on the aforementioned methodology?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (Sprint)

jlechner is just getting started
Re: Battery Life Management (Vogue, dHarvey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
I am currently running the latest dHarvey Black Vista ROM.

In the past 13 minutes, my phone has gone from fully charged to 95%. The only usage I had, other than unplugging it, was receiving and checking 3 push emails, which I promptly closed. I then turned off the screen.

Why is my battery dying so quickly? I had the same issue when I installed the ROM on the dead pixel phone (which I exchanged for this one.) This phone is only a day old, so it makes absolutely no sense for the battery to be this weak.

My bluetooth is off, I don't have any applications running. Even so, my processor usage is 45-50% and the battery drain is constant.

Some people have suggested to disable the built-in weather client (how?). It's exceptionally convenient for me, so I'm hesitant to do so. Can anyone else confirm this?

Another post said I should let the battery die all the way and keep turning on the phone till there's none left. I should then keep doing this each time I use it for several days, as I need to "teach" the battery/processor circuitry the true size of the battery (which was reset somehow during an upgrade).

Any further suggestions or comments on the aforementioned methodology?
This seems to be an issue with DHarvery's Rom. A lot of people are also reporting fast battery drain. I also have it. He's working on it though, it's def better than what it was in the first releases.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:32 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Temujin is a n00b

Oh, I thought it had to do with my usage habits. Well, I'll be eagerly (and patiently...) awaiting the fixes. Hopefully, they won't come in the form of a new ROM (I've installed so much already..).

In the meanwhile, any suggestions on how to ration it wisely?

Maybe someone without any reported battery drain can post their usage habits? (settings, apps open, etc.)
Old 07-31-2008, 09:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

davidzthe1 is keeping up the good workdavidzthe1 is keeping up the good workdavidzthe1 is keeping up the good work

It definately has a battery drain problem, as is the case with all of his roms. I hope he fixes it because his roms are the shyt, but i need a battery that lasts longer than the 9 hours i was averaging with his rom.

I switched back to a custom rom i made from the latest kitchen and at the end of the day(when i put my phone on the charger at night), i still have over 40% battery left with the same amount of usage.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Oh, I thought it had to do with my usage habits. Well, I'll be eagerly (and patiently...) awaiting the fixes. Hopefully, they won't come in the form of a new ROM (I've installed so much already..).

In the meanwhile, any suggestions on how to ration it wisely?

Maybe someone without any reported battery drain can post their usage habits? (settings, apps open, etc.)
Get an extended battery from seidio (sp?).
Old 07-31-2008, 10:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

hankbear is keeping up the good workhankbear is keeping up the good work

In general, I don't have the battery issues, and I am using the 2.9 version of his ROM. One thing is that I did notice that the new 1500 mah battery I got needed some time to "learn" how much power it had. After a few days it settled down, although flashing a new ROM has not caused that to repeat, so I'm not sure why this ROM would act differently for anyone that any other with the same hardware. With this ROM and the 1500 battery, I've gone from fully charged to still over 80% after 8 hours with very little usage. With no usage and it just sitting off overnight (7 hours or so), it has gone from 73% to 70%, which I consider good.

How are you guys checking processor usage, BTW? Also, FWIW I have no background apps running and bluetooth is always on.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankbear View Post
In general, I don't have the battery issues, and I am using the 2.9 version of his ROM. One thing is that I did notice that the new 1500 mah battery I got needed some time to "learn" how much power it had. After a few days it settled down, although flashing a new ROM has not caused that to repeat, so I'm not sure why this ROM would act differently for anyone that any other with the same hardware. With this ROM and the 1500 battery, I've gone from fully charged to still over 80% after 8 hours with very little usage. With no usage and it just sitting off overnight (7 hours or so), it has gone from 73% to 70%, which I consider good.

How are you guys checking processor usage, BTW? Also, FWIW I have no background apps running and bluetooth is always on.
You def got lucky then. There are numerous users with battery issues. I wasn't one until I flashed the newer build. The other one's were ok. Might do the battery tweak cab again and see if that helps.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Temujin is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlechner View Post
You def got lucky then. There are numerous users with battery issues. I wasn't one until I flashed the newer build. The other one's were ok. Might do the battery tweak cab again and see if that helps.
Where can I find this battery tweak cab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankbear View Post

To the right of the battery bar (top right corner) there's a small icon (3 horizontal lines with an arrow). Touch it and you'll open up a horizontal drop down menu with an x button (applications you're currently runnig), a floppy disc looking icon (task manager), and a chip icon. TO the right of the chip icon, you'll find a percentage. This is your processor usage.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:46 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO(AT&T Fuze)
Carrier: T-Mobile Pre-Paid

DHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the community

I really don't understand why you all are having such bad battery drain issues. I personally have 2 batteries. 1 is an OEM shipped battery that came with my phone and the other is an 1880mah OEM Extended Battery. With the shipped battery I get at least a whole day with this ROM and with the extended battery I get at least 2 days with this phone and that is talking, texting, using gps, push email, mp3 player, coreplayer movies, sprint tv... etc. I use it all and don't EVER have a problem with my battery life.

I literally just unplugged my phone about 10 minutes ago and yes, my phone is at 95% already with the extended battery but that's probably because I leave it on the charger all night long while I'm sleeping.

What you are all seeing is the 1% battery.dll in action. With the official ROM you have 10% increments so it will sit at 100% until you reach 90% giving you the illusion that you are fully charged and then have a sudden drop off but in my ROM the 1% battery.dll is merely a more accurate meter and you are able to see the battery incremements go down as they are actually doing down.

Yesterday my extended battery was dead so I threw my fully charged OEM battery back into my phone and ended up talking to my dad for over an hour and only lost 15% battery life. This is with the 1100mah battery.

I really can't seem to duplicate your issues with battery life so I can't say for sure why you're having it.

Wish I knew because I would have it fixed asap in all ROM versions.

Tell you all what.... You keep tinkering and when you find a tweak that fixes your battery life issues you let me know and I will fix it ASAP.

Dan.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint Sero 50

stinkbud is just getting started

im getting there with my sprint touch to pull myself out of that noob category...

I have been using dharvey's 2.9 sprint release since it came out, and i broke my teeth on his earlier builds (i think 2.6 was my first). I was very frustrated with the battery life. After switching to the official sprint release i noticed the the dharvey build had the battery life in 1% increments. The Sprint rom dod stay at 100% longer, but it suffered a very fast drop to 90% from there. From there i deducted that the rapid drain in the dharvey rom is really normal drain, but with 1% increments on the meter, it looks like it is going faster.

Of course I have no emprical data to back this up. I do know that the life on this thing is ridiculously short. I may look into the new battery thing but i hate to lose the slim form factor of the Touch.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue