PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 01:40 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell

Duuuuude is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint PPST on Bell Mobility Touch

Everything is normal with mine. I don't know if it improved GPS much though.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Lurker

frad is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuude View Post
  • applied the hybrid mode regedit and noticed 1 or 2 more satellites and it would actually lock from inside my house, which it wouldn't do before. It also seemed to hang on to signal longer where I would normally lose a signal before (eg, underground parkade) Cached maybe?
To summarize, I found that the regedit change made the biggest difference so far. I am loving the GPS!
Many people have said that this registry change has helped them, but I am wondering if that is true from a more technical standpoint. The reason being on how A-GPS works and also based on the adjacent registry entries under SUPL AGPS. First off the type of GPS implemented in the Qualcomm chipset on the HTC Vogue (CDMA Touch) is called GPSone. Here is the a wiki page on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GpsOne#What_it_does

I am assuming the GPSmode registry entry is refering to the 4 modes listed on that page. Number 4 being "MS Assisted/Hybrid"

AGPS uses normal GPS satellites to aquire a lock, but also suplements that data with information (not going into specifics.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS for more info) from "Assistance Servers". A few registry entries below the "GPSmode" one we can see that there is in fact a "ServerIP" entry with the IP address 192.207.101.126

Now I am not certain but I am pretty sure that this Assistance Server is provided by Sprint (or which ever carrier the rom originally belonged to) and that IP is not accessible to us bell mobility users. Even if it is accessible it contains information specific to cell towers on their own network... not Bells network.

In short I am not sure we can use the server and even if we can I am not sure it actually has any information we can use! This is all speculation, but it seems like a reasonable assumption. Yet clearly people are noting improvments.

So I guess if there are improvements, why.... or is this just a placebo effect?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:33 PM
kbl
PPCGeeks Regular

kbl is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frad View Post
Many people have said that this registry change has helped them, but I am wondering if that is true from a more technical standpoint. The reason being on how A-GPS works and also based on the adjacent registry entries under SUPL AGPS. First off the type of GPS implemented in the Qualcomm chipset on the HTC Vogue (CDMA Touch) is called GPSone. Here is the a wiki page on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GpsOne#What_it_does

I am assuming the GPSmode registry entry is refering to the 4 modes listed on that page. Number 4 being "MS Assisted/Hybrid"

AGPS uses normal GPS satellites to aquire a lock, but also suplements that data with information (not going into specifics.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS for more info) from "Assistance Servers". A few registry entries below the "GPSmode" one we can see that there is in fact a "ServerIP" entry with the IP address 192.207.101.126

Now I am not certain but I am pretty sure that this Assistance Server is provided by Sprint (or which ever carrier the rom originally belonged to) and that IP is not accessible to us bell mobility users. Even if it is accessible it contains information specific to cell towers on their own network... not Bells network.

In short I am not sure we can use the server and even if we can I am not sure it actually has any information we can use! This is all speculation, but it seems like a reasonable assumption. Yet clearly people are noting improvments.

So I guess if there are improvements, why.... or is this just a placebo effect?
That AGPS server is accessible... there is also another IP/port floating around (which is not accessible for non-Sprint users). But as you mentioned, whether it's actually providing my Bell phone with any useful information is another story.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:34 PM
kbl
PPCGeeks Regular

kbl is becoming a great contributor

Oh... and just in case someone has somehow botched their Bell phone settings with the PPST update NFSFAN has seemed to find a nicely packaged fix for that... see here.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue