PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 03:01 PM
N00b

Amiroquai is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Known Verizon Issue with cracked outer casing

Quote:
Originally Posted by penorwood View Post
So I guess if you got your phone off of ebay and the cracks appear then you are totally screwed with getting a replacement?
If you got it off of Ebay then you shouldn't really have a problem getting a new different color housing for it and not having to worry about the next time the white one is going to crack on you, or go through the hassle of having the entire device fixed/replaced by verizon.
I'm getting my XV6900 at Verizon today and would loved to have the outer housing changed for the black one rather than having to disable the vibration and be very cautious about how I handle it...
But I also wouldn't want to void the warranty...
I've already invested about $30 in protection for it (InvisibleShield+Silicone case) when I could have just gotten an original black HTC Touch housing for the same amount of money.
Unless you don't think you could change the housing yourself (not that hard really) or you REALLY REALLY like the white housing and wouldn't change it for a different color, there really isn't any reason for you to get upset about not getting replacements from Verizon.
If I got a better deal on a mint/good condition xv6900 than the one I'm getting from Verizon for a new one, I wouldn't hesitate to get it and just change the housing to black right away.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900

evilninjam0nky is a n00b

On my 4th Touch. This one the case is cracked in 2 places, and the white enamel around the edges on the front is chipping off. The rest were fine as far as having no cracks.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: vx6900

penorwood is a n00b

I'll probably just replace the housing myself. I am sure that my assurion will still work even though I bought off ebay (that was the case when I had the treo 700w)
Old 11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon

IanPhillips1 is keeping up the good workIanPhillips1 is keeping up the good work

OK - here is a response from a non cracked phone, I have had my 6900 for about 6 months and have used vibrate/ring or just vibrate from day one and I have had no cracks to mention. I know as i type this my phone is preparing to crack as that is my luck. So I am a testament that vibrate doesn't cause it, at least for me(for now)

Vin's Plutonium (hearts)
VZW 2.35 Radio
Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond - WM 6.5 - Telus 1.04.05
Carrier: Sprint

robotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrobotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrobotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Seems like if it's a bad case, it's going to crack anyway. Vibration only increases the chances for it to crack. I think the sample of reported cases are slightly skewed... So far there has only been one(?) person that said his non-vibrate phone didn't crack until he turned on vibrate. Really bad luck for those getting replacements that keep cracking though.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VzW 6900
Carrier: vzw

640k is just getting started

i really don't see how it's possible for the vibration to crack the case. it's not a jack hammer and the cracks are occurring nowhere near where the mechanism is.

i had actual paint flecking off of the case. the front housing is painted, the battery door is not. i was able to prove this to myself by scraping at the paint with my finger nail.

if you take a sharp object to any part of the white portion of the front casing, you will be able to scrape the paint off.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: low tech vzw

imdarkside is becoming a great contributor

i wish this thread would die but it is like a bad car wreck that i cant help but look at although i dont want to. the cracks on my two prior phones were are the slider side. so far still no cracks on phone #3
Old 11-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6900

Jedi54 is a n00b

just got off the phone with Verizon and those idiots say it is "not a known issue" The phone rep put me on hold for 5+ minutes, came back and said, "WHOA, this doesn't look good. There's a lot of issues with this phone but they're all software related." He gave me HTC's phone number and told me to take it up with them.

WTF!

I'm going to try going into my local Verizon store later on to see if I can make any progress that way.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6900

Jedi54 is a n00b

Update!!! I'm getting a new phone! (whether it's new or Refurb I don't know yet)

Here are the steps I took to get my phone replaced.
1) Walked into a local store and tried to explain to the CSR what the issue was. This resulted in the "deer in the headlights" look. The CSR gave me the following number: 800-922-0204, option 3. This phone number is what resulted in the post above this. (ie; waste of time)
2) Do not call HTC, they'll refer you back to VZW

3) I visited a different store and explained to the CSR what my issue was, how it happened 2 weeks after purchasing the phone and how there is NO other damage to the phone. (this is vital) The CSR looked over my phone, and noted my account that he had confirmed the issue and that the phone does not appear to have been abused.
Since every Verizon store that I have been to doesn't carry the 6900 (maybe due to the Storm release and upcoming Diamond) he suggested I call the following number

866-406-5154

It's all about your presentation on this one. I called, told the rep what my issue was, that it had been confirmed by a local manager, and that I was simply calling to finalize the order of my replacement phone. 5 minutes later, I was done and I should have the phone by Monday.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

higgtree is a n00b

I've seen the cracked case a couple of times so far in my store, including our display model lol... We haven't been notified in our systems that it's an "official" known issue, that I know of... I've had mine since May and (knock on wood) haven't experienced the cracked case. I also use vibrate and ring and have dropped it in my driveway numerous times. Most techs know it to be an "unofficial" known issue and will help you out. If you get an A-hole, just call csr service until you get someone good =)
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue