PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:36 AM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO
Threadstarter

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Prefer User Customization or Tweaked ROM

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, Dan. It's also nice to know about the history you referenced, jakdillard.

Quite frankly, I had no idea about this history and wasn't aware that folks were so possessive over these ROM files.

In the six or so weeks that I have been at this, I have casually developed the attitude that a ROM (*.NB file) is simply a seed for the Vogue_Kitchen_Tools.rar set of tools. I just figured that it was common sense / knowledge that posting a ROM (*.NB) file was essentially providing a foundation for somebody else to customize for their own phone.

I have been enlightened. I don't necessarily agree with all of the perspectives and opinions that have been shared, but it is nice to know what is on the hearts and minds of other folks in the community.

Best regards,
-boggsie
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Vogue)
Carrier: Telus

Soul_Est is keeping up the good workSoul_Est is keeping up the good work

I'm also enlightened and in awe of the kind of work that goes into producing the kitchens and the ROMs which gave us the ultimate phone. I'll just add my two cents before I go back to work on the RL. I'll use this analogy for modifying a custom 'clean' ROM vs a stock ROM. When choosing a BSD, you have two major choices: 1) You could go with a certain setup with a set number of programs and drivers (PC-BSD) or 2) You can start with the base and build upon that (FreeBSD). Some people just want it easier at the expense of any potential knowledge gained in modifying the 'base'. Now that we all know better, have cooked/fixed our meals/snacks, eaten and relaxed, we can all do to better right?

Various tweaks and programs found on XDA-Developers, PPCGeeks, MoDaCo, and WinMo-Experts forums.

Thank you to all the experts who enlighten us on the ways of enhancing our phones beyond the norm.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:12 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO
Threadstarter

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Est View Post
... Some people just want it easier at the expense of any potential knowledge gained in modifying the 'base' ...
It still seems to me that this analogy, while completely valid and applicable, is also valid for just about anything we do in life.

Taken to a completely ridiculous and impractical extreme ... and at the expense of being repetitive:

Quote:
It is possible to re-create everything necessary ...
It is possible to piece together all of the tools and make them work ...

As you decide that you need to get to and from a particular destination, do you create a new and unique mode of transportation or do you go out and choose from the available options? (bicycle, motorcycle, automobile, truck)
If you chose to drive an automobile, did everybody you ran into know that you were giving credit for the automobile to John Lambert?

Quote:
WikiAnswers:
John Lambert America's first gasoline-powered automobile was the 1891 Lambert car invented by John W. Lambert.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Inventor_of_automobile
Best regards,
-boggsie
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue