PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC DIA
Carrier: SPRINT

jgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking TOUCH GPS via Navi2Go

I've been searching this forum for a way to have navigation with my touch... ti seemed to be impossible unless a new rom from sprint would come out, which would enable the GPS.

I have the everything plan with sprint, which when I signed up, mentioned that navigation was also free. I decided to call in and ask about how would I have navigation, since it's included in my plan, and would not hang up until they would come up with an anwer.

Well, they put me on hold for some 20 minutes and gave me the following address:

softwarestore.sprint.com, click on your phone, select travel tools and buy the software called Navi2Go which is 9.99

They said that the data that feeds the sftware is free, but the software is not... the price is not a big deal, and it displays real 3d gps images as you navigate (as per pictures on the decription of the software)

My question is, have you guys had any experience with it? Would like to know before buying... is it frame by frame or does it move like a real GPS? Does it actually work? Here's the link:

http://softwarestore.sprint.com/prod...id=2369&cat=85

I will appreciate any advise... even if it means to wait for sprint new rom...

By the way, see the u tube video, which is very good, but unbelievable...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EkgMJLcgygQ

and also the sprint store says... NAVI2GO for TOUCH

even if it works off the towers... is it an alright and usable application for navigation, d you recommend anything else or something free so I could try? I had my GPS stolen from my car (which was locked inside the glove compartment). I do have another one, but since I don't leave it in the car anymore, sometimes I forget to bring it along...

Last edited by jgatter; 04-08-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

THunDA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTHunDA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTHunDA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: TOUCH GPS via Navi2Go

It's not true gps, meaning it will work off of the cell towers.. I think the term is called A-GPS (not sure about this though). True GPS wont be available until they release a rom upgrade to enable it, which is supposed to come out sometime this decade..heh
Old 04-08-2008, 07:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Yeah, but if this works, wouldn't it be revolutionary? Pretty much all of Sprint's phones are A-GPS... My M1 worked with telenav, and was just as accurate as my tomtom, but with an online presence, you get much much more... can anyone confirm that this even works without a GPS receiver?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

natataka is a n00b

i would like to know also. ive been waiting for something like this
Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

heartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuff

I am not sure but in the description it say uses external gps or internal if your device has it... that leaves me to believe it won't work since ours isn't enabled...hopefully someone can chime in and let us know for sure
Old 04-08-2008, 08:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: sprint

houseman is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to houseman Send a message via Skype™ to houseman

Yes you still need an gps receiver for now until the update rom come out.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC DIA
Carrier: SPRINT
Threadstarter

jgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuff

Don't forget, it was recommended by a sprint representative who told me that is the way to have navigation on the phone. I was jus wondering if anyone knew about it before giving away my hard earned $10.

I will read the terms and conditions of the sprint store and see if they will refund in case it does not work.

BTW, does the touch has a built in GPS for sure or not? If not, how would the Firmware enable it? If it does, how are you so sure about that?

Thank you for your info guys!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

heartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuff

Search....it does have gps it will be enabled along with RevA godwilling by the end of Q2
Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Shrink is a n00b

Google Navi2go and you will see that it does not appear to be GPS-driven but uses images of places to simulate a route you would follow in much the same way as google maps does, though using real images instead. So you can see how the route would look from a variety of perspectives but you are not represented on the map in real time.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 PM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatter View Post
Don't forget, it was recommended by a sprint representative who told me that is the way to have navigation on the phone. I was jus wondering if anyone knew about it before giving away my hard earned $10.

I will read the terms and conditions of the sprint store and see if they will refund in case it does not work.

BTW, does the touch has a built in GPS for sure or not? If not, how would the Firmware enable it? If it does, how are you so sure about that?

Thank you for your info guys!
A sprint rep told me free roaming meant I could use Sprint towers anywhere in the US but to keep my settings to Sprint Only in the roam section of my phone. I then corrected her and told her that roaming meant I could use other non Sprint CDMA towers. She told me no, because Sprint would have to pay for that, so would pass on the cost.

Anyway, what does this have to do with your question? well they have one thing in common.

If you look around the Vogue area here you will see Rev A and GPS are coming, but need to be enabled by the radio firmware (much like the mogul). Look around and you will see plenty of discussion about this.

Plus if you google navi2go it has this at its website: "Go to m.navi2go.com on your Windows Mobile or Symbian Device for public demo" Id try that before I buy anythingt

Last edited by VW; 04-08-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue