PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW
Carrier: Sprint

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Any (concrete) way to backup threaded messages in wm6.1? (I've tried many tricks)

This is relevant for WM 6.1, using threaded messaging.

I've tried everything I've stumbled upon. I have used PPCPimBackup, and SMSImport.

I have tried using non-binary on PPCPimBackup (2.8,) and tried all the tricks I could find to restore the messages, but I haven't had any luck yet.

I have tried using SMSImport normally, and even tried various edits to the XML file it creates... no dice.

The common suggestion/solution is to put your registry in the old-style of SMS organization, then load the messages backup, then switch back to the threaded, and open text messages. SUPPOSEDLY, the OS will then separate the messages into threaded messages.

I have never seen this work, ever. I have a large file of over 3,000 messages. I would really like this to work. I have even tried making temporary backup files, with as little as 50 text messages, and it still won't thread them after a backup.

Does anyone have any tips for a guy at wit's-end? So far, my only silver lining seems to be dashwire... Since I can see all my messages on my PC, but it brings it's own drawbacks as well...

Thanks in advance! I won't have much hair left if I don't figure this out soon!

note: When I look at the (SMSImport) XML file, the entries created by wm6.0 and 6.1, and even all the different custom ROMs, are identical. There are no formatting differences from one OS to another...
Old 04-09-2008, 04:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Keyone is just getting started
Re: Any (concrete) way to backup threaded messages in wm6.1? (I've tried many tricks)

The only simple method I've found was to use Spb Backup and backup the "Mail" option. It saves emails, but it also saves the SMSs. And I use this for WM 6.1, to be clear.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW
Threadstarter

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff
Re: Any (concrete) way to backup threaded messages in wm6.1? (I've tried many tricks)

so with Spb Backup, you can save the "mail" and restore it without restoring an entire backup? Sorry, I've never used it before...

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Tilt, Touch
Carrier: ATT

Dashwire is keeping up the good workDashwire is keeping up the good work

Dashwire will definitely backup, though it might take more than a pass to get all 3000. We'll be rolling out a threaded view of your SMS shortly.

Curious about the drawbacks though. Hit me up with feedback for improving the service. Have a long way to go and need solid feedback to get there.

Are you using the latest Dashwire Mobile client (http://m.dashwire.com)? Are you running WinMo 6.1 and want to try our latest release (http://m.dashwire.com/beta)?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond/Pro/TP2

kski71 is becoming a great contributor

pimbackup works for me. sms messages, emails everything.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

kmatthews is just getting started

With Sbb backup just do a custom backup and check emails and PIM Data.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue/Sprint Touch

mrgeoff is keeping up the good workmrgeoff is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to mrgeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kski71 View Post
pimbackup works for me. sms messages, emails everything.
Yes, pimbackup backs up the messages. Have you tried restoring though? I have never had good results when restoring. It will restore, but it doesn't insert correctly. The only thing I can think of is that is processes the inbox aspect first, then the outbox.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashwire View Post
Dashwire will definitely backup, though it might take more than a pass to get all 3000. We'll be rolling out a threaded view of your SMS shortly.

Curious about the drawbacks though. Hit me up with feedback for improving the service. Have a long way to go and need solid feedback to get there.
I recommend this as well. I love it! Also looking forward to having the threaded view.

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: SprintTel

hi-tech is a n00b

Yes the OS will sort it into threaded messages. I backed up with Sprite from WM6, installed new rom with 6.1 and imported the messages. On first boot if you go into the messaging app you can literally see the OS sorting the messages by contact/convo into threaded format.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

dOOfus is just getting started

I used PIM to back up my SMS in 6.0, flashed to 6.1, then restored. 6.1 took a while to organize the messages, but it worked fine.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue