PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Lurker

mathman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC Touch Tethering over Bluetooth (Sprint)

Hello everybody!

I've always been able to do whatever I've needed to with my PPC devices - thanks to this board in many respects! I'm having a spot of trouble, though, and I thought I'd actually post to see if anybody has any ideas.

What I'm trying to do is tether my HTC Touch using USBModem to my new laptop (an HP tx2000z running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition), and I'm not having much luck. First of all, let me say that I can easily tether over USB, but I like to have all my options open, and I'm kind of picky about solving a problem once I face one.

OK, here's what happens ...

I have done all of the registry hack (MultiNAI, rilphone.ddl removal) just in case. My Touch pairs to my laptop fine. I select the "Dial Up Networking" Service during the pairing process, and my laptop even sees the phone as "Standard Modem Over Bluetooth," which is about what I'd expect.

The problem is when I set up a connection and dial. I get the error "678: The remote computer did not respond." I don't know why, but I (perhaps erroneously) assumed that maybe I needed to set up a dedicated COM port for this. My computer has reserved COM5 for this communication, but I can't find a way to make my Touch use COM5 (the COM ports area in Bluetooth Settings seems utterly useless).

Does anybody have any idea how to do this? I'm at my wits end with this one. Oh, incidentally, I CAN connecti using ICS and a Bluetooth PAN, but I want to use USBModem and try to avoid using the canned application. What I'm going for here is Bluetooth DUN.

Any ideas? Help, flames on my intelligence, whatever ... just give me some ideas

MM
Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

alpha_omega is a n00b
Re: HTC Touch Tethering over Bluetooth (Sprint)

I have tired this and have had no luck like yourself. I would like to know how this can be done also.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vogue
Carrier: sprint

zfactor is a n00b

same question from me... works through usb cable but i dont always carry one with me.. id much prefer bluetooth.. someone help us out?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey

I just got my Touch last night, so I have not had a change to play around too much with it.
WHen I get home from work tonight, I will use my vast knowledge of computers/networks and I will play around with it.
I will post my results.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

why not just use ics for BT tethering? sprint doesnt charge you for tethering on an unlimited data plan unless you abuse it.

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey

Gotta love that unlimited plan.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:10 PM
svx
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

svx is a n00b
Send a message via ICQ to svx Send a message via AIM to svx

Did you ever get an answer on How to do this? I have spent the past 4hrs searching everywhere on how to use my Sprint Touch as a bluetooth modem (xdadev's, here, Google). It works fine with OMJ's latest rom using ICS USB (Touch initiated), but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to bluetooth tether it.

In ICS I have two options, USB and Bluetooth PAN. I assume that if I do a bluetooth tether (ie initiate the connection from my PC), then I will not need to use ICS from the Touch to initiate? My overall goal is to be able to leave the touch in its holster or in my briefcase and be able to connect wirelessly when at client sites (initiated from from lappy). I used to have an ATT Hermes and could do this just fine using a bluetooth dun profile on the pc, unfortunately I cannot seem to do it with the Touch. Needless to say this is quite frustrating!
Old 07-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Diamond

Negrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Why would you prefer bluetooth? its noticeably slower. check my sig.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:34 PM
svx
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

svx is a n00b
Send a message via ICQ to svx Send a message via AIM to svx

When I am in places where I have limited space such as client meetings in conference rooms, or using my laptop mount in my car, I would like to be able to do it wirelessly over BT. Speed is not always a factor, but the ability to Sametime or get email through my VPN is. I have a PAM plan so should be able to do it just fine without any special tweaks that the Vision plan user have. Just not been able to figure out how to get it to work.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Diamond

Negrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Oh, i gotcha. Also, i found this thread on another forum. I did not read it in its entirety, and i know its for the 6700, but i assume it would quite similar, if not the same. Or at least get you going in the direction...

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...ows-vista.html
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue