View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 06:01 PM
mathman
Lurker

mathman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC Touch Tethering over Bluetooth (Sprint)

Hello everybody!

I've always been able to do whatever I've needed to with my PPC devices - thanks to this board in many respects! I'm having a spot of trouble, though, and I thought I'd actually post to see if anybody has any ideas.

What I'm trying to do is tether my HTC Touch using USBModem to my new laptop (an HP tx2000z running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition), and I'm not having much luck. First of all, let me say that I can easily tether over USB, but I like to have all my options open, and I'm kind of picky about solving a problem once I face one.

OK, here's what happens ...

I have done all of the registry hack (MultiNAI, rilphone.ddl removal) just in case. My Touch pairs to my laptop fine. I select the "Dial Up Networking" Service during the pairing process, and my laptop even sees the phone as "Standard Modem Over Bluetooth," which is about what I'd expect.

The problem is when I set up a connection and dial. I get the error "678: The remote computer did not respond." I don't know why, but I (perhaps erroneously) assumed that maybe I needed to set up a dedicated COM port for this. My computer has reserved COM5 for this communication, but I can't find a way to make my Touch use COM5 (the COM ports area in Bluetooth Settings seems utterly useless).

Does anybody have any idea how to do this? I'm at my wits end with this one. Oh, incidentally, I CAN connecti using ICS and a Bluetooth PAN, but I want to use USBModem and try to avoid using the canned application. What I'm going for here is Bluetooth DUN.

Any ideas? Help, flames on my intelligence, whatever ... just give me some ideas

MM