PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility Canada

derringdo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android For The Vogue Is Here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkain View Post
What's with GPS? When I hit My Location in Maps, it shows me the dot driving down some road in Palo Alto, CA. I'm in Montreal, canada. What's going on.

Edit: Also, I'm having the problem where despite Togga being enabled, I can't download any apps from the market. It just always says unsuccessful. Is there a fix?
As far as I know, GPS is not working yet. I'm not sure about your second question, but again, marketplace might not be working either unless you're using the absolute latest release.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue (Bell)
Carrier: bell

zakkain is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by derringdo View Post
As far as I know, GPS is not working yet. I'm not sure about your second question, but again, marketplace might not be working either unless you're using the absolute latest release.
I downloaded and put it on my Vogue today, I'm using the latest

I'm doing fine with installing apks manually. Honestly the marketplace isn't that important to me. I came from the latest Cupcake to the 1.1 version, and I'm stunned by how far behind the cupcake version is. No google syncing with calendar, mail, IM, or anything else. I can't wait for cupcake to catch up, I hate the landscape keyboard in 1.1, I can't use it.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:31 AM
N00b

eagle63 is a n00b

I'm using 1.1 and the marketplace seems to work fine. I've downloaded a handful of apps and they all work. (I didn't download apps that rely on things the Vogue either doesn't have or can't use such as GPS or accelerometer)

I was hoping that my location would work in google maps. Not GPS, but using cell-tower triangulation. This is supported in most versions of google maps now - not just on Android but also WM and Blackberry. However, it doesn't seem to work.

How stable are you guys finding 1.1? I do get some occasional resets from time to time. Probably more to do with the linux kernel we're running rather than Android itself.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

kylo77 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle63 View Post
I'm using 1.1 and the marketplace seems to work fine. I've downloaded a handful of apps and they all work. (I didn't download apps that rely on things the Vogue either doesn't have or can't use such as GPS or accelerometer)
How did you get the marketplace to work? Everytime I try to download an app it says Download Unsuccessful. I'm using the latest 1.1. After connecting with Togga, my browser, calendar and gmail all work fine. I realize GPS and Bluetooth still don't work but Ireally would like to get the Marketplace working.

thanks!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM
N00b

eagle63 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo77 View Post
How did you get the marketplace to work? Everytime I try to download an app it says Download Unsuccessful. I'm using the latest 1.1. After connecting with Togga, my browser, calendar and gmail all work fine. I realize GPS and Bluetooth still don't work but Ireally would like to get the Marketplace working.

thanks!
Hmm, odd. I don't do anything special at all - just boot it up, run Togga, and the marketplace just works. For what it's worth, I didn't follow the directions or use the CAB's at www.myhtcphone.com when installing Android. (his directions confused me)
I just went directly to dzo's site, put his 1.1 stuff in the root of my SD card, edited the default.txt and I was good to go.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
okcoolthnx

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

So it looks like the triangulation method that Maps would use doesn't use cellular towers, but instead relies on Wi-Fi tower triangulation, making it completely useless on the vogue. Oh well! I'm so happy with this release it's not even funny. I'm using Android 99% of the time now. I only boot into WM to use PAM with my laptop. Thanks again DZO!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
okcoolthnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo77 View Post

thanks!
The first time I upgraded, the Marketplace did the same thing. I would try completely re-installing everything. I mean EVERYTHING. Format that storage card and re-install Haret too.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g
Carrier: Sprint

jaredakelly is keeping up the good workjaredakelly is keeping up the good work

is there anyway to boot from winmo without an sd card? my sd got canned and i'm in the middle of getting a new one.

if so how?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:41 PM
okcoolthnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredakelly View Post
is there anyway to boot from winmo without an sd card? my sd got canned and i'm in the middle of getting a new one.

Sigh.....Another one bites the dust. I'm on my third card LOL. If anyone knows how to do this without making a ROM, I would like to know as well!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:56 PM
N00b

eagle63 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcoolthnx View Post
So it looks like the triangulation method that Maps would use doesn't use cellular towers, but instead relies on Wi-Fi tower triangulation, making it completely useless on the vogue. Oh well! I'm so happy with this release it's not even funny. I'm using Android 99% of the time now. I only boot into WM to use PAM with my laptop. Thanks again DZO!
I'm pretty sure Maps uses all 3, so in theory it should still work on our Vogues using cell towers. Oh well, not a big deal though. I may try downloading Loopt from the app store and giving that a try as it uses cell tower triangulation too.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue