PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC SuperSonic
Carrier: Sprint

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best Non-WM 6.1 Custom ROM for Vogue?

Being the ROM flashing junky that I am, I've been through a ton of custom ROMs. So far, every WM 6.1-based ROM I've tried has caused crashing issues on my phone.

What I need is a consensus opinion on the best WM 6 ROM in terms of speed, stability, and features.

Thoughts?

Audiovox Thera-Samsung i700-Verizon PPC 6600-Sprint 6700-Sprint Mogul-Sprint Touch-HTC Touch Diamond-HTC Hero-HTC SuperSonic (EVO)
Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

smurs is a n00b
Wow, i know this isn't what you are asking, but I believe I have tried nearly every single 6.1 custom rom (OK, I'm probably exaggerating, but more than 6!) and I haven't had a single crash -- in fact, they are MUCH more stable than 6.0 (have used OMJ, No2Chem and Mr.J.Carter's). What are you installing after flashing? I have had some major trouble with Sprite Backup and 6.1...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurs View Post
Wow, i know this isn't what you are asking, but I believe I have tried nearly every single 6.1 custom rom (OK, I'm probably exaggerating, but more than 6!) and I haven't had a single crash -- in fact, they are MUCH more stable than 6.0 (have used OMJ, No2Chem and Mr.J.Carter's). What are you installing after flashing? I have had some major trouble with Sprite Backup and 6.1...
Well, with the more robust 6.1 ROMs, I wasn't adding much on anything...SlingPlayer, WeatherPanel, Pocket Player, PHM RegEdit and that's really about it. I use SPB Backup, which is baked into many of these ROMs, but even the last clean 6.1 ROM I tried had lock-up issues.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

smurs is a n00b
That sucks because I already don't know how I survived without REAL threaded SMS.

I'll be interested to see if others are having issues...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond/TP2

deegimus is keeping up the good workdeegimus is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossman View Post
Being the ROM flashing junky that I am, I've been through a ton of custom ROMs. So far, every WM 6.1-based ROM I've tried has caused crashing issues on my phone.

What I need is a consensus opinion on the best WM 6 ROM in terms of speed, stability, and features.

Thoughts?
Glossman,
I have to agree with Smurs, no major problems whatsoever... minor annoyances, but nothing major. Never a crash... That is with both WM6.0 and 6.1 ROMs. I would look to what you are adding after flashing. I have found SPB products to be buggy (my opinion only)
I am absolutely ecstatic about OMJ's WM6.1 107.3 ROM! FAST!!! Very Stable!
This may be obvious, but you might want to try adding one program at a time and seeing if it locks up... waiting... adding the next one...etc.

I have the following programs added:

QuickMenu 2.7
S2U2 0.99c
WorldMate Pro
Citrix Client for PPC
VTap
Textware Fitaly 4.0
Schap's Advanced Configuration Tweak
MusicMan's MacFlo
HTC Audio Manager
NetFront 3.5 Browser
Opera Mobile 8.65
Skype 2.2.0.18 Beta (Only one that works with Vogue as far as I know)
Agendus Pro (latest version 2.1) (Their software can be buggy too)
Viigo

I have a Sprint Touch and I unlocked it using Cokeman's unlocker and have tried at least 6 different ROM customizations, 3 of which were WM6.1.

Good luck!

DJ
Old 02-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegimus View Post
Glossman,
I have to agree with Smurs, no major problems whatsoever... minor annoyances, but nothing major. Never a crash... That is with both WM6.0 and 6.1 ROMs. I would look to what you are adding after flashing. I have found SPB products to be buggy (my opinion only)
I am absolutely ecstatic about OMJ's WM6.1 107.3 ROM! FAST!!! Very Stable!
This may be obvious, but you might want to try adding one program at a time and seeing if it locks up... waiting... adding the next one...etc.

I have the following programs added:

QuickMenu 2.7
S2U2 0.99c
WorldMate Pro
Citrix Client for PPC
VTap
Textware Fitaly 4.0
Schap's Advanced Configuration Tweak
MusicMan's MacFlo
HTC Audio Manager
NetFront 3.5 Browser
Opera Mobile 8.65
Skype 2.2.0.18 Beta (Only one that works with Vogue as far as I know)
Agendus Pro (latest version 2.1) (Their software can be buggy too)
Viigo

I have a Sprint Touch and I unlocked it using Cokeman's unlocker and have tried at least 6 different ROM customizations, 3 of which were WM6.1.

Good luck!

DJ
I've run the 107 ROM and had crashes at then end of phone calls and in PIE. I went back to U.T.C.G's 1/3 ROM and have no problems, though it is a bit slow. I may try flashing to the 107 ROM again and running it bare for a while, but what's the point if I can't run the software that I actually use?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HtC touch

pnyce777 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to pnyce777
well you could just use the stock rom with bigger storage by imc0keman
Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

argov is just getting started
Quote:
I've run the 107 ROM and had crashes at then end of phone calls and in PIE. I went back to U.T.C.G's 1/3 ROM and have no problems, though it is a bit slow. I may try flashing to the 107 ROM again and running it bare for a while, but what's the point if I can't run the software that I actually use?
Just tried this, didn't help still lockups after Long conversation.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond/TP2

deegimus is keeping up the good workdeegimus is keeping up the good work
Frustrating...

Quote:
That is really strange!

If I understand you correctly, barring any physical anomalies with your phone, it probably has to do with these programs you mentioned...

"SlingPlayer, WeatherPanel, Pocket Player, PHM RegEdit and SPB Backup,"

I don't know Slingplayer, but alternatives for WeatherPanel and Pocket Player abound. Registry editing can be done with CEeditor, and SPB Backup is not the best option for those who are skilled at flashing custom ROMs anyway.

I honestly have not had my phone lockup once through all the unlocking, flashing, testing... not once.

I sympathize with needing certain programs. I am in heaven because this is the only phone I know that I can use Citrix Client to get into my work system! That, and tethering to my laptop make this phone indispensable!

I'll keep my ears open... The good news is that new ROMs are cooked every day now!

DJ
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue