PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 01:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Alltel/Verizon TP2

we havent heard the announcement for that device. We have the touch pro however there is no indication as to why the ram was halved for verizon wireless...for the msot part that's what is said
Old 06-28-2009, 10:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

twistedfish is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to twistedfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesscoggin View Post
My wife's husbands father's brother's sister's cousin said he heard from his mother's sister's daughter's brother's cousin that his great aunt's brother's daughter's husband's son said it's just going to be another gimped VZW phone when it comes (after all the other major carriers have it.)
ROFL!! =D>
Old 06-28-2009, 11:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

mtcawirtz is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_maniac View Post
dude dont say stuff like that. if alltel does manage to get the freaking tp2 i will go 100mph to the store to buy one without contract or maybe even with one since my upgrade is just around the cornerr.
There is no way that Alltel is going to get the TP2. All of the Alltel stores that are not divested are now Verizon and all of the non-divested Alltel stores were just bought by AT&T. Why would AT&T want to have this compete with the IPhone? I am just thinking here but it doesn't make sense to me for this to happen. I am on Alltel and would welcome it with open arms and be one of the first in line but it's just not going to happen.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I never said they didn't do it just to the touch pro but I'm pretty sure I did say

that one generation of phones is touch pro and diamond series. It's two phones. One generation, one iteration of HTC devices on verizon network has been altered due to both legal implications of the qualcomm lawsuit as well as (in the case of the diamond) having expandable memory instead of 4gb flash memory. And yes many people like that change in the diamond and it was one of the plethora of complaints about other diamonds.

Now I don't want to be a linguistic douchebag, but your comment echoes that verizon does this to all of their phones and fact of the matter is, that's not true. They've done it to 1 generation. Every other htc phone released by verizon has not been gimped (and if you count the vogue, the vogue didn't have wifi on any cdma carrier here and that was cut on sprint as well). Based on that, are you going to say the vogue was gimped too???

Are you also going to say it for the mogul, the xv6700, the xv6600 too??? because frankly those phones weren't gimped either. I think its you that needs to do a bit of reading
http://www.phonedog.com/cell-phone-r...r-verizon.aspx
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=625747
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=808

those are the htc phones released by both companies...and to my surprise vzw didn't gimp the phones compared to sprint...that's 3 generations of htc devices on each respective network and surprise they're not gimped...

What I call the touch diamond/pro? another generation of devices. There's no disputing the fact that vzw gimped this generation of devices. but to argue that based one ONE generation of devices (without adequate proof) that vzw will do the same is completely ridiculous.

Further, the only thing I said was there is no proof that vzw will gimp it. No reports, no device specs, nothing that indicates vzw will gimp it besides the simple syllogy
omg they gimp this generation of devices
vzw gimps all their phones
vzw will gimp the htc phones again

which clause two is completely and totally false. Based under that assumption you can't really make that conclusion. So if we're done with this linguistic fest, can we actually get to some real proof behind the discussion? Because frankly based on that declaration, that means absolutely nothing. Its a declaration by htc to say that the phone sim won't be able to be unlocked on American networks. How is that any indication to a gimp I will ask again?
Gimping doesn't always mean halving memory. It sometimes means removing capabilities (often through software settings) for the simple goal of forcing their customers to buy added products from Verizon. For instance I had a rzr a long time ago and had to do a bunch of "customization" to unlock simple features such as teathering.....a service I paid for every month. Verizon wanted me to buy the $45 office kit, when all it really required was an edit to the software and a usb cable. The 6800 (another Gimped VZW phone I have personaly owned) has the capability (hardware) to be a fully functional GPS unit, however Verizon in it's wisdom removed that capability to try and force us to pay an extra 9.99 a month for VZW Navigator. It's not limited to one generation of phones. It's been going on forever....and will continue with the TP2.

Last edited by wesscoggin; 06-29-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:42 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

cktech is keeping up the good workcktech is keeping up the good work
Talking Re: Alltel/Verizon TP2

Quote:
Gimping doesn't always mean halving memory. It sometimes means removing capabilities (often through software settings) for the simple goal of forcing their customers to buy added products from Verizon. For instance I had a rzr a long time ago and had to do a bunch of "customization" to unlock simple features such as teathering.....a service I paid for every month. Verizon wanted me to buy the $45 office kit, when all it really required was an edit to the software and a usb cable. The 6800 has the capability (hardware) to be a fully functional GPS unit, however Verizon in it's wisdom removed that capability to try and force us to pay an extra 9.99 a month for VZW Navigator. It's not limited to one generation of phones. It's been going on forever....and will continue with the TP2.
I disagree. Verizon's TP2 will have the 256MB that every carrier gets and will also include GPS unlocked as it has made good on its promise to unlock GPS for the TP1 and other phones.

They might be feeling the IPHONE pressure to keep ppl on their network with "smart" phones.

I say, if the phone is smart, then why do I have to answer it!

cktech.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cktech View Post
I disagree. Verizon's TP2 will have the 256MB that every carrier gets and will also include GPS unlocked as it has made good on its promise to unlock GPS for the TP1 and other phones.

They might be feeling the IPHONE pressure to keep ppl on their network with "smart" phones.

cktech.
What do you mean "it has made good on it's promise to unlock GPS for the TP1 and other phones"? I just got a NIB replacement two days ago for my TP1 and had to do all the things I normally do to "unlock" GPS.....
Old 06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcawirtz View Post
There is no way that Alltel is going to get the TP2. All of the Alltel stores that are not divested are now Verizon and all of the non-divested Alltel stores were just bought by AT&T. Why would AT&T want to have this compete with the IPhone? I am just thinking here but it doesn't make sense to me for this to happen. I am on Alltel and would welcome it with open arms and be one of the first in line but it's just not going to happen.
Quote:
Gimping doesn't always mean halving memory. It sometimes means removing capabilities (often through software settings) for the simple goal of forcing their customers to buy added products from Verizon. For instance I had a rzr a long time ago and had to do a bunch of "customization" to unlock simple features such as teathering.....a service I paid for every month. Verizon wanted me to buy the $45 office kit, when all it really required was an edit to the software and a usb cable. The 6800 (another Gimped VZW phone I have personaly owned) has the capability (hardware) to be a fully functional GPS unit, however Verizon in it's wisdom removed that capability to try and force us to pay an extra 9.99 a month for VZW Navigator. It's not limited to one generation of phones. It's been going on forever....and will continue with the TP2.
Exactly, it will continue to happen.
No stopping it. Especially with the size of their market control.
They have no need to bend over and stop gimping their phones.
They can do whatever they want
and people will still continue to have them for their cell phone network.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cktech View Post

cktech.
Quote:
What do you mean "it has made good on it's promise to unlock GPS for the TP1 and other phones"? I just got a NIB replacement two days ago for my TP1 and had to do all the things I normally do to "unlock" GPS.....
I don't believe they have released the unlocked gps.
I do believe they still have it locked up.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but please show something proving otherwise.
I know they promised to release unlocked gps,
but haven't done so at this time.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

gps unlocked rom was released a little over 2 weeks ago
http://pcdphones.com/phone_downloads...zon%20Wireless
Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

Quote:
for one thing, what the company considers a restriction for offering for a service (ie tethering) I don't really consider that a gimp. Especially when you consider the xv6800. Prior to even the new radio 3.35 and 3.42, both the xv6800 and the xv6900 (on even sprint as well) did not offer gps on the device and prior to last summer/spring while we knew that it was capable it wasn't unlocked. Now this begs to question was this the result of htc and the specific phone vendors? Tough to say...

But the capability in both of your instances wasn't removed. It was locked and that is carrier specific. Not necessarily a gimp considering you arguing that it is a removal of capabilities on either a software/hardware specific. It wasn't removed, it was locked and in my eyes that is a totally different bag of tea.

While verizon chose to lock those capabilities for a fee, it was a business decision to be frank because not all consumers are power users that will hack slash, tweak modify their devices. They want now and so far with the exception of winmo users (as well as mobile-file users) it has benefitted verizon economically. So the strategy in those locks so to speak were financial. But it didn't mean it was removed from the device (gimp) because if that was the case

it wouldn't necessarily be there to begin with (much like ram on the touch pro/diamond) - it wasn't there but the examples you listed the capability was there, it was just locked down by the phone company and that happens all the time. And it exists with every phone company and most phones as well...so by that logic yes practically every company gimps their devices because

I am using an alltel, verizon, and sprint touch pro and I don't see a front face camera on mine do you? That is something specific for the initial device and it was removed (gimp) based on specifications of the phone company (heck we don't have the tech for video calls).

So again...
can we really say vzw will gimp (hardware restrict whatever) when we have no proof of it happening except touch pro/diamond 1?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

helix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good work

I could care less what they do through software as that can be fixed. As long as the hardware specs are identical I will get one. If not, then see ya Verizon.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro