PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Alltel/Verizon TP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
from that image how can you even tell it was just a declaration that gsm function is disabled on the world version of the phone =/
there's still no indication that vzw will be gimped...
Actually yeah there is.
Look at the history of verizon smartphones...
There's your indication.
You have to take in account the history of a company
when it comes to something like that.

No, there's nothing different about THIS phone.
The real statement here should be there's no indication that verizon will not
be gimping the phone.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post
Actually yeah there is.
Look at the history of verizon smartphones...
There's your indication.
You have to take in account the history of a company
when it comes to something like that.

No, there's nothing different about THIS phone.
The real statement here should be there's no indication that verizon will not
be gimping the phone.
vzw does it to one generation of phones (technically the touch pro, and many like the changes they made to the diamond)
how is that history!? its one generation of phones and if vzw knew touch pro 2 was going to be released and gimped the phone, we may not like it but it was pretty smart considering people are going to bank on the fact that touch pro 2 is an upgrade to touch pro 1.
secondly as far as my statement was concerned it was apt considering it was a mere declaration by htc that these devices will not be able to use sim card on American network. How is that any clear indication that vzw may or may not gimp the phone?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 PM
VIP Duck
Pocket PC: RAPHAEL / TOPAZ / RHODIUM

NinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
I've heard it's not going to happen for about another 6-8 months.
For verizon that is...

I think AT&T is going to be first. I am supposed to get a pre-release GSM version in the next week or two for testing. The CDMA model was not going to be ready for some time. Sorry...
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Quote:
vzw does it to one generation of phones (technically the touch pro, and many like the changes they made to the diamond)
how is that history!? its one generation of phones and if vzw knew touch pro 2 was going to be released and gimped the phone, we may not like it but it was pretty smart considering people are going to bank on the fact that touch pro 2 is an upgrade to touch pro 1.
secondly as far as my statement was concerned it was apt considering it was a mere declaration by htc that these devices will not be able to use sim card on American network. How is that any clear indication that vzw may or may not gimp the phone?
look at what theyve done. it's to more phones than just the TP.
Diamond, only thing they did that was good was the sdcard slot.
but other than that, it's a htc vogue. so they gimped that one aswell.
and there's more.
read up, you'll find them.

did you, or did you not say this:
Quote:
from that image how can you even tell it was just a declaration that gsm function is disabled on the world version of the phone =/
there's still no indication that vzw will be gimped...
Therefore you were the one assuming verizon won't gimp the phone.
I was replying to your post that you said they wouldn't.
it's verizon, its what they do.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

id bet money thet the phone will be gimped no doubt about it
Old 06-27-2009, 04:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

Rourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitard View Post
Anyhow... he also said that he hasn't heard anything yet for the TP2, and he wouldnt' be suprised if Alltel doesn't get it (as non-divested will be Verizon before they have a chance, and Divested will go to the respective groups) before all the mergers happen. He'll keep me in the loop.
Whoa... that just made me realize something. I'm in a divested Alltel market, and am getting converted to ATT... does this mean sometime next year I get a FUZE and have to start trolling xda full time?!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:20 AM
VIP Member

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

Quote:
look at what theyve done. it's to more phones than just the TP.
Diamond, only thing they did that was good was the sdcard slot.
but other than that, it's a htc vogue. so they gimped that one aswell.
and there's more.
read up, you'll find them.

did you, or did you not say this:

Therefore you were the one assuming verizon won't gimp the phone.
I was replying to your post that you said they wouldn't.
it's verizon, its what they do.
I never said they didn't do it just to the touch pro but I'm pretty sure I did say
Quote:
that one generation of phones is touch pro and diamond series. It's two phones. One generation, one iteration of HTC devices on verizon network has been altered due to both legal implications of the qualcomm lawsuit as well as (in the case of the diamond) having expandable memory instead of 4gb flash memory. And yes many people like that change in the diamond and it was one of the plethora of complaints about other diamonds.

Now I don't want to be a linguistic douchebag, but your comment echoes that verizon does this to all of their phones and fact of the matter is, that's not true. They've done it to 1 generation. Every other htc phone released by verizon has not been gimped (and if you count the vogue, the vogue didn't have wifi on any cdma carrier here and that was cut on sprint as well). Based on that, are you going to say the vogue was gimped too???

Are you also going to say it for the mogul, the xv6700, the xv6600 too??? because frankly those phones weren't gimped either. I think its you that needs to do a bit of reading
http://www.phonedog.com/cell-phone-r...r-verizon.aspx
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=625747
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=808

those are the htc phones released by both companies...and to my surprise vzw didn't gimp the phones compared to sprint...that's 3 generations of htc devices on each respective network and surprise they're not gimped...

What I call the touch diamond/pro? another generation of devices. There's no disputing the fact that vzw gimped this generation of devices. but to argue that based one ONE generation of devices (without adequate proof) that vzw will do the same is completely ridiculous.

Further, the only thing I said was there is no proof that vzw will gimp it. No reports, no device specs, nothing that indicates vzw will gimp it besides the simple syllogy
omg they gimp this generation of devices
vzw gimps all their phones
vzw will gimp the htc phones again

which clause two is completely and totally false. Based under that assumption you can't really make that conclusion. So if we're done with this linguistic fest, can we actually get to some real proof behind the discussion? Because frankly based on that declaration, that means absolutely nothing. Its a declaration by htc to say that the phone sim won't be able to be unlocked on American networks. How is that any indication to a gimp I will ask again?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Super Senior VIP Member

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

im not getting my hopes up or holding my breath. why dont you guys call a vzw rep and say, "hey are you going to gimp what might be one of the best phones you are going to have this year?" they probalby wont know what you are talking about but i think it would be funny.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_maniac View Post
im not getting my hopes up or holding my breath. why dont you guys call a vzw rep and say, "hey are you going to gimp what might be one of the best phones you are going to have this year?" they probalby wont know what you are talking about but i think it would be funny.
honestly
they haven't even heard of touch pro 2 to even know if the device was cut or not =)
I called and asked btw LMAO and in fact I always call and ask
anytime I have an issue with my phone I ask hey is touch pro 2 going to be gimped
Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Super Senior VIP Member

HAHA NICEE!!!!!! what do they usually say? "whats a touch pro2?" LOL!!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro