PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 07:01 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves
Re: GPS on, Phone Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherv View Post
Thanks guys, this has been very helpful (esp the bluetooth trick)! Is there any way to download the QuickGPS data on, say, a laptop and then xfer it over to the TP? I'm in the middle east and while I have internet, I have no way of securing a data connection through my phone directly (unless there's a way of doing so by connecting the TP to my laptop...)

Thanks!!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=292178
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Plug it into a computer using activesync and it should do it automatically. My quickgps downloads everytime I connect it to my computer.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: evo 4g
Carrier: boost

Isriam is keeping up the good workIsriam is keeping up the good work

i use tomtom and the software requires a data connection for gps lock. however if you turn off the radio, the phone says "gps signal lost x seconds ago" but it will still track you. the maps will be black/white, but it still works. you can not navigate or choose a route.

as stated the problem is with tomtom software and nothing to do with the radio or agps.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: US cellular

dogdaynoon is a n00b

I have google maps working perfectly and thanks to a wonderful tutorial about how to make it update faster, I get realtime updates while I am driving around town. 4-5 sec lag at most... That is a large estimate. What I am looking for though is a place to get maps that I can install on my sd card. Maps that will work with the gps in my phone when I don't have any cell service. This will in essence turn the phone into a gps unit, right? Helpfull links or point me in the right direction. I have looked at garmin and tomtom but I am not sure if this is what I am looking for.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

rlmentz is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaynoon View Post
I have google maps working perfectly and thanks to a wonderful tutorial about how to make it update faster, I get realtime updates while I am driving around town. 4-5 sec lag at most... That is a large estimate. What I am looking for though is a place to get maps that I can install on my sd card. Maps that will work with the gps in my phone when I don't have any cell service. This will in essence turn the phone into a gps unit, right? Helpfull links or point me in the right direction. I have looked at garmin and tomtom but I am not sure if this is what I am looking for.

TomTom is what I use, but from what I have found out is you need bluetooth activated, only so the program does not think its in flight mode. It does not actually require a cell signal to work as it works with map files you place on the sd card. Garmin works the same way, although as another user in this thread stated, Garmin works just fine even in flight mode. Im sure there are other programs out there, but I have not come across any that are free, that use map files.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

sherv is becoming a great contributor

Hm, so I'm in Amsterdam and I'm trying to get Tomtom to work but I can't get any satellite lock at all. I've tried using the GPS Viewer program just to get a lock but to no avail (waited ~10 minutes in one place). TIme to look back into making registry edits...

Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMrChimps View Post
Guys, the GPS is different than what you buy in the store to go hunting. I work on the systems just so you know. The gps in the phone is being triangulated by your position between the towers with the radio. In essance you cannot run the GPS without having the radio on and the system allowing you to triangulate your position. all of that is regulated by the phone companies.
You just make this stuff up?

I use my TP's GPS with the phone off all the time. I live in an area with extremely limited signal, and though it can take quite some time to get a lock, the GPS definitely does not depend on a cellular signal or towers or any such rot.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

c4400 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
You just make this stuff up?

I use my TP's GPS with the phone off all the time. I live in an area with extremely limited signal, and though it can take quite some time to get a lock, the GPS definitely does not depend on a cellular signal or towers or any such rot.
Heh. Definitely. Why would they even call it GPS, if it was only tower triangulation? The phone has an autonomous GPS receiver (https://developer.sprint.com/device/...c-6d15507d50e8). That's 1) why it can take a little longer than Assisted-GPS phones to get a location, and 2) Why you have QuickGPS to download epheremis data for getting your location. You shouldn't need cell signal or internet connection to use GPS, given you have an app designed to do all the work itself.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

sherv is becoming a great contributor

I flashed back to the stock Sprint ROM and still can't get ANY gps lock. This is really frustrating. Those of you who have had luck using the GPS in Europe, on a Touch Pro, what ROM are you using? I can't figure out why I'm having no luck...
Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherv View Post
I flashed back to the stock Sprint ROM and still can't get ANY gps lock. This is really frustrating. Those of you who have had luck using the GPS in Europe, on a Touch Pro, what ROM are you using? I can't figure out why I'm having no luck...
after you flashed back to the sprint rom, did you go into your phone settings and turn the Location Setting on?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro