PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 04:37 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: GPS on, Phone Off

tom tom will work without connection. mr.chimps should try tom tom. op, if your still having problems,pm me.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II / HTC T7380, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMrChimps View Post
Guys, the GPS is different than what you buy in the store to go hunting. I work on the systems just so you know. The gps in the phone is being triangulated by your position between the towers with the radio. In essance you cannot run the GPS without having the radio on and the system allowing you to triangulate your position. all of that is regulated by the phone companies.
No it depends on the phone and the type of gps that it uses. The Touch Pro has AGPS wich is assisted gps that uses the internet to get a quicker fix along with using cell phone triangulation to help with poor reception areas. However the gps chip in the phone will get a lock without a data connection and without the phone radio being on bc it has a regular gps as well.

There are some things that you can do to help if you need locks without the phone radio being on. You can turn off the AGPS and just use GPS its a setting in the registry that you can disable and also a setting in EPST that you can change to turn off AGPS. Your best bet to get faster locks with regular GPS is to use Quick GPS to download the sat info and store it on the phone this will stay valid for 7 days and won't go out to the internet to lookup the gps over the net to get a quick lock. Without that it can take up to 10 min or so to get a lock without help or a clear veiw of the sky. Thats just the nature of regular gps and a cold start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Phone < More info on AGPS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System < More info on GPS

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=cpu&id=...lcomm_msm7201a <More info on the phones MSM7201A Chipset
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 AM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

i think older versions of tomtom might allow you to use it with the phone turned off.
the problem isn't with the agps or tomtom looking for a data connection. the problem is that when the phone is off, tomtom software thinks that the phone is in flight mode so it won't access the gps at all.
anyhoo, to the OP, i haven't gotten deeper into looking into it yet mainly because i'm having data issues and i'm not sure if it's an outage or my phone.... we'll see when tech support opens at 7
Old 05-26-2009, 09:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

kayfouroh is keeping up the good workkayfouroh is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrlude View Post
It is very software related. I too turned my radio off and tried Sprint TeleNav and GoogleMaps. Neither of which worked. They both require a data connection for access to info on search items (ie: banks, images etc.). Tom Tom should be more reliant on loaded maps, unless the units sold from Tom Tom itself have some sort of data connection.
Neither of those applications store map data on your phone and both are VERY data intensive. Seriously a bad test =D>
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

I think you are all confusing the fact that the airplane mode blocks ALL radio, including GPS Radio. It seems the TP is circuited that the switch for all radio connections to the phone include GPS/GSM/CDMA together. I know other phones of similar design.

This is why GPS wont work.

BTW Tom tom uses a map file and doesnt need data (Unless you use Traffic)
Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

no, no, no.
mogul, touch, diamond, and tp, all have regular gps capabilities, that work perfectly fine in flight mode. it just takes longer to get a fix, and you have to be outside.
htc quickgps helps as it stores the ephemerise data to aid in lock.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

I am able to turn the phone radio "off" and still use the GPS, I have gps2blue which I use to link the gps on the TP to my laptop for a standalone gps reciever on Street Atlas.
Don't just say "Thanks"....give
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:11 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Zone View Post
I am able to turn the phone radio "off" and still use the GPS, I have gps2blue which I use to link the gps on the TP to my laptop for a standalone gps reciever on Street Atlas.
the problem here isn't with the GPS, it's with the tomtom software. it must be an issue with newer versions of the software because i was able to do it just fine a few versions ago on my touch... then again, i was using a QVGA version on there (can't imagine that'd make much of a difference tho)
Old 05-26-2009, 04:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by laos101 View Post
I think you are all confusing the fact that the airplane mode blocks ALL radio, including GPS Radio. It seems the TP is circuited that the switch for all radio connections to the phone include GPS/GSM/CDMA together. I know other phones of similar design.

This is why GPS wont work.

BTW Tom tom uses a map file and doesnt need data (Unless you use Traffic)

I forgot to quote laos101...strra.....since the statement was that once the phone was in flight mode ALL radio, including GPS Radio was Block.

Really you still have GPS data even in Flight Mode ...that is what my post demostrated
Old 05-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

KcLive is keeping up the good workKcLive is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmentz View Post
Is there a way I can turn off the phone radio, yet allow GPS to work? I have TomTom installed and want to use the device strictly as a GPS device. When I turn off the phone and start TomTom, it says its in flight mode and will not get a GPS lock.

Running Copper ROM.

Thanks
I too use Garmin on my phone...Garmin Mobile XT and I can use it without the phones radio being turned on at all. I have turned the phones radio off and started Garmin many times and got a lock right off the bat. I love this gps program...works great. You might check into it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro