PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

rlmentz is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS on, Phone Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaynoon View Post
I have google maps working perfectly and thanks to a wonderful tutorial about how to make it update faster, I get realtime updates while I am driving around town. 4-5 sec lag at most... That is a large estimate. What I am looking for though is a place to get maps that I can install on my sd card. Maps that will work with the gps in my phone when I don't have any cell service. This will in essence turn the phone into a gps unit, right? Helpfull links or point me in the right direction. I have looked at garmin and tomtom but I am not sure if this is what I am looking for.

TomTom is what I use, but from what I have found out is you need bluetooth activated, only so the program does not think its in flight mode. It does not actually require a cell signal to work as it works with map files you place on the sd card. Garmin works the same way, although as another user in this thread stated, Garmin works just fine even in flight mode. Im sure there are other programs out there, but I have not come across any that are free, that use map files.