PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: touch pro air chamber project (lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweetyBear View Post
wow, we are really rolling with this huh? maybe someone can market it and make money and donate to ppcgeeks? heh just a thought
I was just bored at work and decided to create a real 3D model of it. I then found out that I could have a guy make it for me. We have a machine that will take a CAD model and make it out of some sort of plastic wire material. I guess they use it for small stuff like this. You can check out NextEngine and click the Jay Leno video and they will make a part. I don't think it's the same thing we have as I haven't seen it, but it's similar.

The way I drew it, it is 2"H x 4"W x 6"L. The opening is about 3" x 5".

Last edited by jason25; 04-17-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

This would really be an interesting invention. Especially if adjustable for the Touch Pro 2, assuming HTC continues the streak of not resolving this heat issue .

But for anyone who does not want to pay the $19.95 plus shipping once the Touch Pro Air Chamber (TPAC) is released to the public . You can just head over to your local drugstore and pick up one of these. I used to have heat issues when on long drives in my car using GPS with music playing. But no more, that cold pad works great, last for hours and is more affordable than the TPAC . Sit your Touch Pro on that and your internal device temp won't go a degree beyond 30 degrees C.

Last edited by darnell; 04-17-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:55 AM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell View Post
This would really be an interesting invention. Especially if adjustable for the Touch Pro 2, assuming HTC continues the streak of not resolving this heat issue .

But for anyone who does not want to pay the $19.95 plus shipping once the Touch Pro Air Chamber (TPAC) is released to the public . You can just head over to your local drugstore and pick up one of these. I used to have heat issues when on long drives in my car using GPS with music playing. But no more, that cold pad works great, last for hours and is more affordable than the TPAC .
haha we'll see. I'll be sure to document how much everything cost and see if I can't keep it below 6.50

I'm gonna take pictures as I put it together so people know what kind of tools to use and stuff. I think a dremel tool might work fine, but then again, not everyone has that. I remember when I would create speaker boxes, home depot cut out the pieces I wanted for free. I don't know if they would do anything as intricuit as this though.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I just heard back from the guy that is going to 'print' it for me. I have to change my CAD model because I am going to do something a little special to it.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:50 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Mesmerize
Carrier: US Cellular

vpr5703 is just getting started

I have a quick concern. If you are running the entire rig off of a Mini-B usb port, they only provide 500mA. You might have to pigtail two USB Ports togeather to get 1A of current so you won't either burn out the host USB port or cause the computer to shut the port down completely due to overloading. Esepcially if your Touch Pro has the high-current charge hack running to let it draw 900mA off of the Bus. Either that or get a few Lithium AA cells to add auxillary power to the chamber. Just my $.02
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 AM
i like turtles
Threadstarter

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr5703 View Post
I have a quick concern. If you are running the entire rig off of a Mini-B usb port, they only provide 500mA. You might have to pigtail two USB Ports togeather to get 1A of current so you won't either burn out the host USB port or cause the computer to shut the port down completely due to overloading. Esepcially if your Touch Pro has the high-current charge hack running to let it draw 900mA off of the Bus. Either that or get a few Lithium AA cells to add auxillary power to the chamber. Just my $.02
Yeah good thinking. Someone smarter than me will have to figure this one out.

Like, how much power does usb 1.1 put out vs 2.0? How much power does it take to run a fan? Is it as much to charge a battery? There are docks that charge the tp and a spare battery at once off a usb connection aren't there?
Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 AM
i like turtles
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason25 View Post
I just heard back from the guy that is going to 'print' it for me. I have to change my CAD model because I am going to do something a little special to it.
Did you read what I wrote about the plenum chamber? I don't know if it's just the way your drawing looks or if it was pieced together wrong. I just wanted to make sure you're doing it the way gator did.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:08 AM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
Yeah good thinking. Someone smarter than me will have to figure this one out.

Like, how much power does usb 1.1 put out vs 2.0? How much power does it take to run a fan? Is it as much to charge a battery? There are docks that charge the tp and a spare battery at once off a usb connection aren't there?
Probably. I know the power specifications for USB hae always been 500mA. They most likely do have docks that charge both an extra battery and a Touch Pro at the same time, however charging times would be greatly increased for both. My Touch Pro at a 900mA draw off of the house charger will charge in roughly 1.5-2 hours. At a 250mA draw rate (thats assuming the phone is completely off and not using ANY power, highly unlikely!) the phone would take over 5 hours to charge fully. Adding a fan that draws 100-300 mA and some LEDs that draw roughly 40mA per each, would push the current over 1A. I'd definately add some auxillary power, or forgo the extra battery charging capabilities. Else you run the risk of losing power to the station completely, or burning out a USB port. If you know electronics, you can build a 5V power supply out of a spare end to a Mini USB charger, a 5V regultor, and a 8 "AA" batteries. It's not too hard. I can build a test bed for the power supply if you'd spare a small bit of cash for the components, and I'd ship it to you via UPS if needed.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:19 AM
i like turtles
Threadstarter

Yeah LED's and an extra battery charge port probably aren't going to make it into my version.

What if I added a large capacitor? Jeesh this is starting to sound more complicated than I intended.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:26 AM
N00b

The capcitor would really be for current spikes as the fan started up. Other then that, it'd be useless because youd have to recharge it afterwards, and that would put your current usage over 1A anyhow.

What you could do is use the additional 5V circuit to just power the fan and LEDs and let the phone and battery circuit runn off of the computer. Youd have to make SURE you disable high-current charging, though.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro