PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

zero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to zero157h7 Send a message via AIM to zero157h7 Send a message via MSN to zero157h7 Send a message via Yahoo to zero157h7 Send a message via Skype™ to zero157h7
Re: Will the touch pro sync with mac?

Are you really letting the ease of syncability with a TP decide between a Mac and PC?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Ranger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Nothing is free with a mac. For the same amount of money get a windows based computer that has higher specs than a MacBook.... Flashing with a Mac is HELL on Earth
Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon

magoo66 is becoming a great contributor

I have a mac. I have been using Missing Sync for over a year and a half since I first got my 6800. I really only use it for contact and calendar syncing, and occasionally I'll use the sms sync or some other random feature. For my needs, it does way too much, which is sad because I paid for all the features. However, as people have mentioned, I found the free version of syncmate to be pretty horrible (mind you, that was over a year ago).

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is a *good* wireless sync option. I'm closely watching what google will do with the new sync tool. Right now it's too limited, but from what I've read, it should mature into a terrific alternative. IMHO, wireless syncing is the way to go (like exchange), so you never have to connect the phone to the computer for the purpose of syncing.

On a related note, as ranger093 said, flashing is pretty hard when using a mac. I do have parallels with windows installed, but I run into errors all the time. I have an old windows xp tablet that I use for some stuff, but mostly I just flash using the sd flash method (plenty of tutorials on how to do that, just check the stickies in any forum).

Hope this provides some insight. Bottom line: buy a mac!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro / HTC Hero

iNTaYkE is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariNTaYkE is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariNTaYkE is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariNTaYkE is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I used to use the free version of SyncMate, and it was decent.
Haven't tried Missing Sync yet. But Dashwire seems to be the best option for me.
Also, flashing isn't that hard on a Mac.
If I ever have to flash using ActiveSync, I use the Windows XP partition I installed which is quite easy to do using the BootCamp app that comes with all Leopard versions of OSX.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

BPFerrari1 is keeping up the good workBPFerrari1 is keeping up the good work

It really depends on what you are looking to synch here. I have both Missing Sync and SyncMate installed on my Macbook Pro. I feel that SyncMate is better and just a lot more simple in it's usage. However, I bypa$$ the computer all together.

By the way, I do have both XP and Vista running through Parallels/Fusion if I ever need it which is another option for you.

I just let go of the computer and use Dashwire for my Contacts and it's great so I can edit it online and such. Dashwire also supports backup/synch of messages, call logs, pictures/video - so you may want to take a look into that. And it's FREE.

I use OggSync to sync my calendar with my Google cal and it works with 2-Way Sync, which is great. And my Google Cal is synched with iCal so basically I have a 3-way synch set up here which works really well. You want to do a quick Google Search and find the cracked version floating around.

For email, it's not really synching, but thought I would add it in here, I use SEVEN, which is a push email service, also free and works very well.

For Media, I just use Disk Mode to transfer/add/delete my picture/movies/music and just find that to be the easiest.

And Def. buy the Mac, worth the money over any PC, if you need anything to run on Windows, look into Virtualization to do the job.

EDIT: Intayke's comment on flashing: He's right, your best option is to use Boot Camp and install Vista/XP onto another partition and use it, it doesn't work through virtualization as there is a problem when the phone tries to reconnect to computer after it reboots in boot loader mode. Unless, I'm wrong - would like to know if anyone knows how to make it work.

Last edited by BPFerrari1; 02-27-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

macs are soooo locked down. i would wait till windows 7. i am running the beta and it beats any os i have have ever used (And i have used all of these: red hat linux, ubuntu linux,windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP/Vista, Mac OS X leopard/tiger)

Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
macs are soooo locked down. i would wait till windows 7. i am running the beta and it beats any os i have have ever used (And i have used all of these: red hat linux, ubuntu linux,windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP/Vista, Mac OS X leopard/tiger)
that's interesting. I mean, I've been hearing good things about Windows7, but to hear that it beats all of those really sparks my interest.

As far as buying a PC just to sync your phone, that sounds kind of silly. Macs and PC's are capable of doing many of the same things (even if both call it something different) although PC's tend to be a bit more flexible, and give u a better bang for the buck.

I read a little while ago that anyone who buys a system with vista on it past January 1st 2009 will receive a free upgrade to windows 7. Here's the link I read: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...7-for-free.ars

Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

turbored is a n00b

disclaimer: I used to be a full-fledged windows guy, until my work required me to use mac. Macs have their issues too, but I like them better than PC solutions.

MissingSync and SyncMate are your only real options if you want syncing of iCal, Address Book, iTunes and iPhoto.

I came from using MissingSync for Palm and tried using MissingSync for Windows Mobile as well as Syncmate. My observations:

I don't like the way MissingSync for WM works compared to Palm. It's probably an OS thing, but WM takes A LOT longer to sync, also, it keeps defaulting to overwrite phone data with computer data, unless you reset it. On MS P, it would ask if you want to do it 1x or always. The mapping of the contacts is screwy too. Why does Home go to email2 and Work go to email? I'd like it the other way, or at least the option to map out the buttons. Why does MS P do a system backup included, but not on WM? I had to pay extra for buggy sprite backup, which is another frustrating story in itself.

MS WM is buggy for me. I had very minor issues with MS P, but I've spent over 2 weeks trying to get MS WM to work properly. It *seems* to be working okay now, but I'm not totally comfortable that things have synced properly

Syncmate on the other hand, has given me better results. I've only tried the free version, and it does pretty much the same thing MS does. However, iCal is important to me, and on SyncMate, it syncs ALL your calendars as one calendar. There are calendars I don't want on my phone but want on my computer, and so that was the dealbreaker for me. MS allows for syncing of only specific calendars. In fact, there is a limit (about 10 iirc) to how many calendars will sync with MS.

Support is mediocre at best with MS, I don't know about SM because I haven't contacted their support. They should allow for a free test drive of SM pro, but unfortunately, the free version is the test drive.

Finally, Apple's syncservices aren't super happy with syncing in general right now. A major fix on 10.5.6 is supposed to be better syncing, however, and that should come out soon.

Macs aren't *locked* down, and there are tons of great freeware on them. OTOH, with WM, you get great freeware apps, but you also have to pay a lot for some apps usually $15+ for paid apps. The iPhone App Store, most are free or 99 cents. I've also been surprised how many apps have a palm and iphone app, but lack a WM app (mint.com, 1password, to name just 2). Hopefully when WM has an app store, people will make more for them.

I'm happy with my TP, and I think it's a better solution for me than the iPhone but it has its issues too.

Last edited by turbored; 02-27-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: remembered about backing up
Old 02-27-2009, 01:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: VZW

jsntrenkler is becoming a great contributor

I use Missing Sync and it works well. I have my mac set up so that it syncs contacts and calendar with Google, and I have the Google Sync via ActiveSync running on my Touch Pro, this solution works great for me. When I add a appointment to my device on the mac, it automatically shows up on my Touch Pro and vice versa.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

magoo66 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
I use Missing Sync and it works well. I have my mac set up so that it syncs contacts and calendar with Google, and I have the Google Sync via ActiveSync running on my Touch Pro, this solution works great for me. When I add a appointment to my device on the mac, it automatically shows up on my Touch Pro and vice versa.
Doesn't google sync only sync one calendar? I have a dozen calendars in iCal, and I want all of them on my phone. I use BusySync to sync iCal with google. How do you get around this?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro