PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: H.264 Video

Yes daren has the link to the thread I was talking about...

If you haven't tried it yet this is the best bundle going!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

AndyCR512 is becoming a great contributor

This is definitely GPU-limited. I just tried a 640x480 verison of the same video as the 320x240 sample at a -lower- bitrate and it ran much, much worse. In fact, the 1.1Mbit version runs better.

Can't wait to try the cabs posted in the linked thread.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

lexluthor is keeping up the good worklexluthor is keeping up the good work

Ok. Did a couple more tests.

I encoded the video using 640x480, xvid, mp3 (128kbps), 15fps, target file size 850Mbps (that gave around 850kbps for the video, I think) and it played perfectly, no frames lost.

I then encoded the video using 640x480, h.264, aac (128kbps) 15fps, target file size 850mbps and it dropped about 1/2 the frames, but the video looks significantly better than the xvid copy at the same file size (which I would have expected, but probably not by the margin I'm seeing).

So, I guess the quest continues.

Has anyone tried that tcpmp with h.264 thread?

I have tcpmp already. Can I just install that h.264 cab and use it that way or do I have to follow that whole procedure just to play an h.264 video properly in tcpmp?

Will it even be significantly better than coreplayer playing h.264?

EDIT: I have TCPMP .72RC1 (not the special version from that thread) and installed the H.264 codec from that thread and I'm not even getting 1 fps in tcpmp. I guess maybe I'll have to try that whole procedure, but I'm not sure how that would make this video play better, if it even will.

Last edited by lexluthor; 02-10-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff

Do us all a favor; try the steps in that thread and report back your findings.

tia
mike
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Prē

fr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good work

Why encode at a higher resolution or bitrate unless your going to play the movie on another device?

The videos I encoded are only for the phone and bench between 120%-180% with decent quality.
Some of the worst video, too low bitrate, has been blocky or with HandBrake a little " over smoothed".
Didn't have either problem with CloneDVD Mobile.

I don't see any reason to go for a large resolution or bitrate and have the player, I use Core, drop frames.
That's much more annoying to me than bad video.
Radio: Sprint 1.11.00F
Old 02-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
Why encode at a higher resolution or bitrate unless your going to play the movie on another device?

The videos I encoded are only for the phone and bench between 120%-180% with decent quality.
Some of the worst video, too low bitrate, has been blocky or with HandBrake a little " over smoothed".
Didn't have either problem with CloneDVD Mobile.

I don't see any reason to go for a large resolution or bitrate and have the player, I use Core, drop frames.
That's much more annoying to me than bad video.
Yes, dropping frames is definitely worse than poor video.

So let's say you have a DVD at 720x540, what settings would you use to re-encode it for playback on the TP?

I have been using Handbrake by the way. If there's something else out there that's free and better, I'd give it a try.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: X51v

Technology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the community
Talking Re: H.264 Video

That's the player you NEED from that thread with the SPECIAL TCPMP player, it has the best H.264 codecs on the market. Yeah, it has the H264 lib.dll that's what you are actually looking for dude, it decodes H.264 in the data stream, yeah... Hope you find it.....{LOL}
Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I installed TCPMP-0.72RC1-GF5500 Edition Alpha 4.1.cab then H264.cab then ac3ARM.cab.

I soft reset and tried to play the same H.264 encoded file and am still getting about 3 fps.

I saw no improvement over the older/standard TCPMP I had on (without the H264.cab).

Maybe this just helps with youtube h.264 playback and not with movies played from the storage card?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: X51v

Technology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the community
Smile Re: H.264 Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post
I installed TCPMP-0.72RC1-GF5500 Edition Alpha 4.1.cab then H264.cab then ac3ARM.cab.

I soft reset and tried to play the same H.264 encoded file and am still getting about 3 fps.

I saw no improvement over the older/standard TCPMP I had on (without the H264.cab).

Maybe this just helps with youtube h.264 playback and not with movies played from the storage card?
See, you another one don't want to follow instructions, but you know it all. GF5500 is part of the set up, but that's not the player with the H264 codec that you need, you did not follow the instructions, stops trying to take short cuts, they don't work. I play H264 video from the SD Card all the time in crystal clear higher enhanced video resolution quality, picture pixel clear, it does not get any better than that....{lol}
Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Tilt2
Carrier: ATT

bennyj77 is becoming a great contributor

I have a Tilt, but I use Handbrake from time to time. I use the IPhone or IPod Touch preset. and select H.264. I am able to play that file in TCPMP with out any problems. I've been um.um.um. aquiring .mkv movies and I watch them on my Tilt. I use the recomp 3 version of TCPMP. I haven't tried Tech's yet.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro