PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 03:33 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

KOF33 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Have a G1, about to give the Touch Pro a second chance, am I crazy?

Have to say everything WM has lacked TF3D has given. The interface is alot sleeker and easier than sloppy icon based interfaces Iphone/G1 use.
Take a look around..while theres no "instant on sponsored by htc" way to change the interface theres been virtually nothing Ive come across that cant be changed. Adding removing tabs , changing the color scheme , icons etc.
Thats one thing WM has always had over other "smart" phones for years.

I was faced with same choice and the absolute only thing that I do wish I had from the G1 is the screensize/trackball/slide IMO its the best of all worlds. Android though ?...I visited too many forums and heard far more complaints than "unique" features.

Im not trying to sway so much as baffled as to how MS bashing still exists with so much end user power.

Anyways price is the biggest factor. Far as Im concerned Iphone is too restrictive and Android in its infancy. WM6.1 with TF3D and its ridiculous amount of options progs etc are an easy choice.

The speed tweaks in the stickies here improved my interface speed tremendously. If you REALLY dont care how the interface looks and just want every ounce of ram dedicated to speeding up the phone than TP will blow G1 away. Having had both for a few days to play with I found the TP more responsive and easier to manage with its default task mgr. G1 always seems glutted up at the end of the day much like I phone did before recent software update. FWIW G1 google maps/browser was faster than TP but that could be provider issues so YMMV. Sites were smoother as well. TP has that weird grey box effect when drawing up pages.

Aaaanyways.. you have 30 days to try out sprint no ? ..... a few weeks of using both in real life day to day is far more reliable than anything youll see on the net. I could be vp of Google for all you know =-).

Last edited by KOF33; 12-05-2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

DSGamer is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidwin View Post
get rid of the touchflo3d, use the vc work around for incoming announcements, install spb mobile and phone suite, install google maps, live search, sensor lock, .net 3.5, and a handful of registry hacks for camera, power management and you're ready to go.

my tp is an over priced, smaller, prettier, VGA MOGUL i don't need any of those perf registries now that TF3D is disabled and my phone runs like a champ except for the occassional VC, outlook bug.

sid
What's the vc work around for incoming announcements?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:31 AM
Lurker

dylan72986 is a n00b

DSGamer, you mentioned wanting to cut your cell bill especially considering that your wife is still on Sprint. If you want to seriously reduce your wireless expenses even before you consolidate your phones onto one provider (which I'm assuming you will), you should look into working with a service whose goal is to save you money--not with the wireless providers who all want to maximize what you pay. While in the throes of dealing with my own Verizon Wireless bills, I discovered a very effective way to cut my fees that is saving me around $230 per year off my plan (which equates to roughly a free month of cell service for me). To get these savings, I used a website called www.fixmycellbill.com (by a company called Validas) where you upload your online bill which is analyzed to determine how much money, if any, you currently are overpaying on your cell plan. Up to this point everything is free. If you choose, Validas provides a highly detailed and personalized cell bill adjustment report that is, for five bucks, emailed to your wireless provider in industry specific format so you can actually implement these cash saving changes to your plan. If Validas can save you more than $5 on your bill (the average customer currently saves $487 annually through Validas), this obviously provides a cost effective remedy for reducing cellular expenses.
I was actually so impressed by Validas that I got a job there when the opportunity arose. It's a great company that is rapidly becoming considered a top advocate for the wireless customer. Check out a profile of Validas on The Big Idea with CNBC's Donny Deutsch at http://www.cnbc.com/id/22782456/. Any cell subscriber who wants to save some serious cash should consider this service.

Good luck getting the best rates you can.

Dylan
Old 12-05-2008, 04:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Wow. Maybe the writing on the wall.

I've been having friends tell me that they're going to voice mail at times that I have seemingly been available to take their calls. Since that kind of thing is heavily anecdotal I just shrugged it off. Well it happened again tonight at a really bad time and so when I got home I decided to test it. I called my G1 from my wife's phone 10 times. 4 of those times it went to voice mail with absolutely no notification on my G1. Incredible. So I called T-Mobile technical support. I was told that this was a known issue and had been a ticket in their system since the 16th of November. The workaround, until they fix it, is to turn off data synchronization.

Then I went online to see if I was going crazy/T-Mobile was going crazy. Apparently it's a problem with their network. Their Edge network can't carry data and voice at the same time. The 3G network can. However, I'm rarely on 3G.

So that's that. If I want to be receiving my emails as intended when I bought the phone I can count on 40% of my calls being dropped. If I want my phone to actually work like a phone I have to turn off data synchronization.

Does Sprint have this problem? I don't ever remember having trouble with this with my Palm Centro.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

sprint prioritizes calls over data, so unless u explicitly tell it not to, which u can, it will drop the data connection for your incoming calls..

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
sprint prioritizes calls over data, so unless u explicitly tell it not to, which u can, it will drop the data connection for your incoming calls..
That's what I thought. I never had that problem in my 9 years with Sprint previously. I guess I'm going back to them tomorrow. Now which phone to get? I like the full qwerty horizontal keyboard the best, so I guess it's the HTC Touch Pro. Hopefully there are ways to speed it up and thin it down to make it useable enough.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Can anyone fill me in on the state of the battery issue? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger after this hitch with T-Mobile, but what I'm reading about regarding battery life not getting any better worries me.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre

Insoc is keeping up the good workInsoc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGamer View Post
Can anyone fill me in on the state of the battery issue? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger after this hitch with T-Mobile, but what I'm reading about regarding battery life not getting any better worries me.
FFS, do or don't. Some choices in life require Compromise. I will spell it in CAPS. C O M P R O M I S E.

Spare Battery, check. Car Charger, check. Spare Charger at work, check...
Old 12-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work

Well, the network problems aren't unique to T-Mobile.

Example: last night I didn't get a call or the resulting voicemail until 2 hours later. Later I had my friend test it after we connected by phone and that time, call and voicemail came through fine.

Pobody's nerfect. However Sprint DOES have much more robust and widespread 3G/EVDO coverage than T-Mobile, that is indisputable. But they have had their share of network issues.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagual View Post
Well, the network problems aren't unique to T-Mobile.

Example: last night I didn't get a call or the resulting voicemail until 2 hours later. Later I had my friend test it after we connected by phone and that time, call and voicemail came through fine.

Pobody's nerfect. However Sprint DOES have much more robust and widespread 3G/EVDO coverage than T-Mobile, that is indisputable. But they have had their share of network issues.
I'd be surprised if they had a 40% failure rate, though.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro