PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Have a G1, about to give the Touch Pro a second chance, am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreddo View Post
I'm personally surprised at how much i can do with the voice controls
i tried to dial something, but it misheard me and started playing a song, and i'm all "i didn't know it could do that!"
I disabled VC under settings for everything but the phone. More than that and I presume it'll do nothing but slow the phone down and further degrade its already lacking performance (VC I mean, not the entire phone--I'm far from being a TP hater).

Last edited by Nagual; 12-04-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

DSGamer is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
I say give the TP a shot. it's improving, and android will be on it soon, there's already a beta version that's kinda working... so you'll have the form factor of the TP, with the option to run android or WM... that's what i'm lookin forward to.
The form factor would be nice, but I want voice dialing more than anything else. Buying a TP and hoping to run Android on it would defeat the purpose of all my issues with the G1 except saving money on my monthly cell bill.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

well voice dialing is going to be the same as last time you used the TP, i don't believe an upgraded version is out yet..

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 12-04-2008, 10:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGamer View Post
That doesn't really help. The main person to give a blow by blow reply to my situation told me I should probably keep the G1.
wow...but its ur choice....lean wit it, rock wit it...im out
Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Reason #1: If I was in your situation...I would have stayed with Sprint hands down...the money issue is huge. Like you said...these economic times, it DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

Reason #2: The best voice dial I ever had was *gulp* the Instinct. I know its a crappy overall device by our standards, but there ARE some outstanding features. Voice Dial is one of them. I was never sold on MS VC...BUT I have not had any substantial issues. If I speak normally (speed and cadence speech) I never had a problem.

Reason #3: I purchased my TP from a Sprint Store, I did not have a problem build-wise. The only complaints is the usual heat and battery life. I have gotten used to work-arounds for both...if any of what I mentioned are deal breakers for you...then that is your choice to make.

I AM using a custom ROM (Y4J 4.0) it is a super clean ROM w/o all of Sprint's proprietary software...(I kept TeleNav) Otherwise, my TP runs smooth and quick. No lag issues whatsoever. Hope this helps your decision.

oh yeah...ditch the G1..get back with Sprint...and wait for Sprint's Android phone...most bugs will probably be worked out by then
Old 12-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2

marcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I would say give the TP another try. I had one for about 25 days, returned it and got another one with a whole bumch of items changed on it. It had GSensor already installed, etc. The second one I got was much better. The G1 got hit with the ugly stick too. It's feels flimsy as well. Plus there is so much more software I believe for the windows mobile devices. I just wish HTC would get off they;re arse and allow some customizations of TF3D. At least a today plugin Tab. Heck, I can code a today plugin container.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

DSGamer is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus_cruz View Post
I would say give the TP another try. I had one for about 25 days, returned it and got another one with a whole bumch of items changed on it. It had GSensor already installed, etc. The second one I got was much better. The G1 got hit with the ugly stick too. It's feels flimsy as well. Plus there is so much more software I believe for the windows mobile devices. I just wish HTC would get off they;re arse and allow some customizations of TF3D. At least a today plugin Tab. Heck, I can code a today plugin container.
I don't care which one is prettier or has more software. The G1 does everything I need a phone to do, it does it better than the HTC Touch Pro. The one exception (and it's not minor) is that it doesn't do voice dialing well. And it is more expensive, at least when it comes to what our current monthly phone bill is.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre

Insoc is keeping up the good workInsoc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGamer View Post
I don't care which one is prettier or has more software. The G1 does everything I need a phone to do, it does it better than the HTC Touch Pro. The one exception (and it's not minor) is that it doesn't do voice dialing well. And it is more expensive, at least when it comes to what our current monthly phone bill is.
You have your answer. Is voice dialing that important? Seems you need to prioritize and you will have your answer without asking us.

Is money the most important? Then you should switch to Sprint. If it is not, you should stay where you are at, because you dislike the TP so much in the above statement.

As for your Voice Recognition, when I wear my S9-HD BT headset, it ALWAYS works with voice command, I never have issues with anything.

Good Luck.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO LTE

AB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Consumer reports even rated the G1 behind the WM touch screen hard keyboard phones (Tilt, Wing, etc.) but ahead of the Touch and Diamond and before the Pro came out. The TP can still do more than the G1.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: apache, 700wx, mogul, touch, touch pro
Carrier: sprint

sidwin is keeping up the good worksidwin is keeping up the good work

get rid of the touchflo3d, use the vc work around for incoming announcements, install spb mobile and phone suite, install google maps, live search, sensor lock, .net 3.5, and a handful of registry hacks for camera, power management and you're ready to go.

my tp is an over priced, smaller, prettier, VGA MOGUL i don't need any of those perf registries now that TF3D is disabled and my phone runs like a champ except for the occassional VC, outlook bug.

sid

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro