PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 12:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S / Epic 4g
Carrier: Sprint

KaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to KaliS
Re: Is there such a thing as a perfect Touch Pro?

im right handed and have fairly fat fingers. i seem to always hit the "s" key when typing full querty on the screen and attempting to tap the "a" key. so i feel your pain there. but all is well. if i type left handed i seem to hit it just fine. so that leads me to believe it is a "my fat finger" issue, rather than the phone. i started using the compact querty keyboard (with & without T9) and found that it is much quicker and accurate for people with big fingers like me. problem solved for me regarding the "a" key now.

im actually a BIG fan of the compact querty (with T9) now...give it a shot, you may be surprised.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:58 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW
Threadstarter

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliS View Post
im right handed and have fairly fat fingers. i seem to always hit the "s" key when typing full querty on the screen and attempting to tap the "a" key. so i feel your pain there. but all is well. if i type left handed i seem to hit it just fine. so that leads me to believe it is a "my fat finger" issue, rather than the phone. i started using the compact querty keyboard (with & without T9) and found that it is much quicker and accurate for people with big fingers like me. problem solved for me regarding the "a" key now.

im actually a BIG fan of the compact querty (with T9) now...give it a shot, you may be surprised.
I'm guessing you didn't have a Touch before this, given your responses... but basically, on the Original Touch, my "fat thumb," worked just fine. It's not really the size of the finger that is causing the issue, it's the fact that the screen is defective, and when you use a large object near the border, it's artifically keeping it from making proper contact to the electrodes... When you use a sharper (smaller) object, it makes a deeper contact and works fine... but when I am typing fast on my SIP, I don't push very hard, and it keeps registering the 's' key instead.

I do, however use PCMkeyboard most of the time, and it helps because it's slightly offset (on the skin I am using,) but it still pisses me off to know that my screen is defective. I could live with it, but I ask WHY DO WE HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT? This is a $749/$799 phone... That is more than the iPhone when it came out (in most markets,) and it's fit/finish is superior... as well as their quality-control, obviously...

Now, I don't care too much for the iPhone--I am simply comparing prices/and what to expect... for the insane price of $749.99 I should get a reasonably well-made phone...

I wish the Touch Pro had the hardware build of the 6700, the screen reponsiveness of the 6900, and the software and resolution of the Pro itself... I just don't know why they would take a few steps back like this on obvious key issues....
Old 11-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles

1) Not tinny at all. I wouldn't say it sounds as good as a plain old landline, however it sounds just as good as my Vonage line.
2) My speaker is louder than my Mogul's with audiopara lite, and sounds nice and clear.
3) My onscreen qwerty works fine. Only spot I have issues with is some spots on the scrollbar, but thats no big deal with finger scrolling.
4) I get a day and a half or so on mine with light use. That includes MS Push being enabled, polling for email every 30 minutes, a few texts, maybe a phone call or two. My battery lasted from 8am till midnight before throwing the 10% warning, and that was with me tethering for a half hour, talking on the phone for about a half hour, and playing with it randomly throughout the day.

I have very few issues with mine, and the issues I do have barely affect me anyway. I use my phone as more of a portable internet device than a phone, so phone issues aren't top concern for me, though mine seems to be fine.

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: treo
Carrier: sprint

ppcninja is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
Dang, just picking up the original Touch... I noticed just how responsive the screen is around the edges... night-and-day difference...

ugh

I really want one of these "good" ones...

So you guys who have "perfect" Touch Pros, still have the crappy inconsitant screen sensitivity? Is that just a critical design flaw that will affect ALL Touch Pros? That's highly disappointing if that's the case... The phone should be equally sensitive in one spot, as it is in another...
i love my tp but that is one complaint i have, the corners, especially the top right corner seems less responsive then the rest of the screen, although i suspect i could recalibrate the screen to get it working better
Old 11-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Noob
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles

Recalibrating doesn't help my lesser sensitive areas, however it seems to be mellowing out a lot more after a week and a half of use. All the edges around my screen were basically useless at first, now I'm down to just a few areas, and it's getting better all the time.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:39 AM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

There is a registry tweak you can do to make the screen MUCH more sensitive (as a note, since I've done this, I have needed to use S2U2 to prevent my phone from making phantom calls in my pocket whenever I received a text message). Really, any lock program will work (even the stock one) but S2U2 is quick and easy to unlock.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\TouchPanel
Value = PressureThreshold
Change from the default dword:00000027 or 34 to dword:000000f0 or 240 in decimal

As found on xda:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=398265

I'm sure you could go even more sensitive with it, but for my use, I am EXTREMELY happy with 240.

Try the compact qwerty with T9 for portrait mode... it's MUCH better than the full qwerty. The same setup is on the small blackberry (pearl?) with physical keys, and only watching it used, I thought I would hate it... but using it on a touch screen becomes much nicer!

I don't really notice any dead areas on mine (manufacture date 10/13... check by going to the phone app and dialing ##786#), the top right is always just fine and I can't seem to NOT hit the x whenever I'm trying, even without a fingernail, it's good at determining what I would like it to do.
This post has been thanked 8 times.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre

Insoc is keeping up the good workInsoc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
Do you mean that your phone doesn't heat up on long phone calls? Mine gets so hot, (all three of them have,) during a long call that it starts to make my ear VERY uncomfortable. I find myself switching ears, because the other one is getting too hot...
No. Just a little warm, no different then any cell phone I have used.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

themystx2 is just getting started

For you guys who have battery life issues, I would consider an original Powermonkey. They can be had for a decent price if you look around, probably less than the cost of an extended battery. It is like one of those cell phone boost products, but with a MUCH higher capacity... I believe it has a 4200mAH rating. Just for comparison, it could charge my PSP fully twice before the unit itself requires recharging. Small device, nice life, and it can do much more than charging just your phone. I used mine yesterday, went from 10% to 100% in about an hour.

https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome...r/powermonkey/

Current:
Sprint HTC Touch Pro (I don't even know what ROM I have on there anymore!)
Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrake View Post
There is a registry tweak you can do to make the screen MUCH more sensitive (as a note, since I've done this, I have needed to use S2U2 to prevent my phone from making phantom calls in my pocket whenever I received a text message). Really, any lock program will work (even the stock one) but S2U2 is quick and easy to unlock.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\TouchPanel
Value = PressureThreshold
Change from the default dword:00000027 or 34 to dword:000000f0 or 240 in decimal

As found on xda:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=398265

I'm sure you could go even more sensitive with it, but for my use, I am EXTREMELY happy with 240.

Try the compact qwerty with T9 for portrait mode... it's MUCH better than the full qwerty. The same setup is on the small blackberry (pearl?) with physical keys, and only watching it used, I thought I would hate it... but using it on a touch screen becomes much nicer!

I don't really notice any dead areas on mine (manufacture date 10/13... check by going to the phone app and dialing ##786#), the top right is always just fine and I can't seem to NOT hit the x whenever I'm trying, even without a fingernail, it's good at determining what I would like it to do.
Thanks for those instructions. Now, is this a dramatic difference? If I go to the max sensitivity, would I be shocked at how sensitive it is?

TIA
Old 11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint htc diamond touch

staticent116 is just getting started

my touch pro worked great right from out of the box. didnt have to soft reset or anything. i came from the touch diamond so i already knew what to check for and the volume is about the same as my diamond which is still slightly low, but is good. there is no lagging when sliding the keyboard out, the keyboard is great. i really have no true issues with my phone. i love this thing and its definitely a great upgrade from my diamond although the weight difference is quite noticeable which is probably why people take such notice in the thickness. but once u carry it around and use it enough, u really dont notice it and u actuallu get used to it. the screen sensitivity is amazing as i have not had to use any hacks yet to increase or enhance it. texting from the keyboard is great and doesnt lag at all and i type very fast on a hard keyboard too! overall a great great product!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro