PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Sayajin is keeping up the good workSayajin is keeping up the good workSayajin is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon HTC TOUCH PRO Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by C101 View Post
See the up-arrow between the "N" and "M" keys.
WOW! I just saw it too! What a MORON! What Idiot at VZW thought that was a good idea?

Quote:
I have an opportunity to pick up a TP and switch entirely over to sprint while saving a significant amount of $ -- who else is thinking of doing the same thing?!
Definetly NOT! The VZW network is leaps and bounds over the Sprint network. While VZW is dominated on their handsets, the network is not even a comparison.

I will happily pay full retail/ebay retail for a Sprint device and put it on the VZW network.

-Sayajin
Old 10-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayajin View Post
WOW! I just saw it too! What a MORON! What Idiot at VZW thought that was a good idea?

Definetly NOT! The VZW network is leaps and bounds over the Sprint network. While VZW is dominated on their handsets, the network is not even a comparison.

I will happily pay full retail/ebay retail for a Sprint device and put it on the VZW network.

-Sayajin
When you say network do you mean data and signal strength???? Or do you just mean There company is leaps and bounds over sprint??? Becuase i believe that sprints EVDO Rev A compared to Verizons is a little better. Now as far as signal strength goes, i believe Verizons is broader and has more towers but sprint roams off of the same towers so i doubt it really makes a differnce. and beside thats nothing that a radio rom update wouldn't fix. I can install the verizon radio rom on my phone.
Minnesota Militia/Touch Pro Division
Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_breedent View Post
When you say network do you mean data and signal strength???? Or do you just mean There company is leaps and bounds over sprint??? Becuase i believe that sprints EVDO Rev A compared to Verizons is a little better. Now as far as signal strength goes, i believe Verizons is broader and has more towers but sprint roams off of the same towers so i doubt it really makes a differnce. and beside thats nothing that a radio rom update wouldn't fix. I can install the verizon radio rom on my phone.
yea... the carrier of the radio has nothing to do with the towers. the towers are handled with the PRL. all the radio rom does is tell the phone how to interact with ANY tower.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: palm pre

yotoad is keeping up the good workyotoad is keeping up the good work

so you're saying that sticking with vzw is the better situation rather than moving to sprint? i can save ~$40-$50/month after i move . . .
Old 10-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Sayajin is keeping up the good workSayajin is keeping up the good workSayajin is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotoad View Post
so you're saying that sticking with vzw is the better situation rather than moving to sprint? i can save ~$40-$50/month after i move . . .
Im not saying that. Truthfully it depends completely on your individual situation.

I travel the country for work and am in a different city every week, often times in rural areas with very little signal strength. So for me, I will happily pay an extra $40 a month for me to pick up my phone and it work. If you live in a metro area and are primarily there, it may not make sense for you to spend the extra cash.

Quote:
Forgive me, im not expert or developer, I can only speak from my personal experience. (keep in mind as I said above, I travel the country every week, so this isnt one of those "but my friend said..." posts. However as far as the actual signal strength when comparing VZW to Sprint, I find that VZW has signifigantly better signal strength in most areas. I cant comment as much on the data as its not quite as important to me as signal. However I also use a cellular data card with VZW about every day and I have EV-DO signal in 90% of places.

As the person below said, I dont believe that the Radio ROM will give you the same coverages as another network. I believe it just maxamizes your phones interaction with the towers it is currently capable of using.

-Sayajin
Old 10-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayajin View Post
Im not saying that. Truthfully it depends completely on your individual situation.

I travel the country for work and am in a different city every week, often times in rural areas with very little signal strength. So for me, I will happily pay an extra $40 a month for me to pick up my phone and it work. If you live in a metro area and are primarily there, it may not make sense for you to spend the extra cash.

Forgive me, im not expert or developer, I can only speak from my personal experience. (keep in mind as I said above, I travel the country every week, so this isnt one of those "but my friend said..." posts. However as far as the actual signal strength when comparing VZW to Sprint, I find that VZW has signifigantly better signal strength in most areas. I cant comment as much on the data as its not quite as important to me as signal. However I also use a cellular data card with VZW about every day and I have EV-DO signal in 90% of places.

As the person below said, I dont believe that the Radio ROM will give you the same coverages as another network. I believe it just maxamizes your phones interaction with the towers it is currently capable of using.

-Sayajin
I'm not an expert either by any means lol this is all personal experience with a few facts here and there. But Sprint roams off of Verizon towers and i have free roaming. So in those rural areas you are referring to, you should get service with a sprint phone as well as Verizon. Just with sprint if there aren't available towers you will be roaming. But that doesn't affect you in anyway.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_breedent View Post
I'm not an expert either by any means lol this is all personal experience with a few facts here and there. But Sprint roams off of Verizon towers and i have free roaming. So in those rural areas you are referring to, you should get service with a sprint phone as well as Verizon. Just with sprint if there aren't available towers you will be roaming. But that doesn't affect you in anyway.

Thats what you would think, but I find that to not be the case. (not the roaming thing, the part about if no sprint service, you can use verizons towers.) Often times I have someone right next to me with Sprint and they will have no service while I will have a few bars on my VZW handset. I dont know why.....

-Sayajin
Old 10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: palm pre

yotoad is keeping up the good workyotoad is keeping up the good work

criticalaudioinc,
any news for us?
Old 10-31-2008, 05:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

lexluthor is keeping up the good worklexluthor is keeping up the good work

Since we really have nothing else to go on, might as well keep tossing out rumors.

Here in this thread, the following comments were recently made.
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Hot-...3375-p_10.html

anonymous @ 30 October, 2008 04:34:19 PM
I can confirm the VZW Touch Pro is identical hardware-wise to the Sprint model. They had one at our store today.

LexLuthor @ 31 October, 2008 07:01:14 AM
#198 - And "our" store is what? A Verizon Wireless store? Verizon Wireless authorized retailer?

How exactly did you check the processor/chipset/memory? Was the keyboard the same? The pictures we've seen of the Verizon unit have an arrow key between the N and M, was that there?

anonymous @ 31 October, 2008 07:51:30 AM
Official store. Processor and memory was checked via WM's About window.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Tony V. is a n00b

Hey Crit,

Thanks again for all the info you've given us. It's a lot easier waiting when you know that progress is being made. That said, whatever you do, please don't tell us anything or do anything that in any way will endanger your job. I'd much rather still be here wondering than have you lose your job.

Whatever the case, relax and enjoy your weekend.

And have a Happy Halloween!
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro