PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: verizon

ppcboi318 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to ppcboi318
Re: Touch Pro Coming out in 6 to 8 weeks

Just because verizon is buying alltel doesn't mean they are going to change how they receive phones or sell them. I'm pretty sure verizon saw the potential to raise their profits by buying alltel. Usually what you see when companies buy another company, is because they like the way they handle business. On the other side of this if a company is failing then companies may purchase them to save the other company from going under. In alltel's case they were a major player, and i will give you something to look at. Sprint is taking forever to get their broadband coverage to areas outside of major markets, I live in Bossier City, Louisiana, although this city alone isn't major market when you team it up with shreveport, louisiana (twin cities just separated by the red river) then we become a major market. Alltel has their evdo coverage here and they had it before the verizon-alltel merger was annouced. Also i think the version of the titan that alltel received wasn't the same watered-down version verizon received.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Alltel Plan on Verizon
Threadstarter

arik is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcboi318 View Post
Just because verizon is buying alltel doesn't mean they are going to change how they receive phones or sell them. I'm pretty sure verizon saw the potential to raise their profits by buying alltel. Usually what you see when companies buy another company, is because they like the way they handle business. On the other side of this if a company is failing then companies may purchase them to save the other company from going under. In alltel's case they were a major player, and i will give you something to look at. Sprint is taking forever to get their broadband coverage to areas outside of major markets, I live in Bossier City, Louisiana, although this city alone isn't major market when you team it up with shreveport, louisiana (twin cities just separated by the red river) then we become a major market. Alltel has their evdo coverage here and they had it before the verizon-alltel merger was annouced. Also i think the version of the titan that alltel received wasn't the same watered-down version verizon received.
The company I work for was just bought out by HP. If its anything like what we were told, they have to act as separate company's and still compete until the transaction is complete. In case it falls apart in the end, no trade secrets and no deals depending on the transaction never took place. So I would say their is no way to tell what phone Alltel will have until they have it. Thats something they work out with HTC. Also, as Alltel's past shows (and I have called and asked), they do not or have not crippled their phones. So its anyone's guess. I don't think Verizon would lowered their specs unless they had a good reason. Cause now if you walk into a Sprint store they have one up to tell their new (x-Verizon) customers who want that phone in its full glory. Verizon probably gets them cheaper, or stocked up sooner or needed the crappier model to make sure we couldn't use something else they want us to pay for...

Last edited by arik; 09-16-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: low tech vzw

imdarkside is becoming a great contributor

According to the HTC rep i talked to the diamond is listed as available on all CDMA service providers. But a call to the verizon rep was a dead end. She referred me to the "vzw website" saying thats where vzw reps get thier most up to date information and that no phone was listed there. Duh...
Old 09-16-2008, 12:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdarkside View Post
According to the HTC rep i talked to the diamond is listed as available on all CDMA service providers. But a call to the verizon rep was a dead end. She referred me to the "vzw website" saying thats where vzw reps get thier most up to date information and that no phone was listed there. Duh...

I am guessing that means that HTC knows that all the carriers are going to sell the phone, but Verizon doesn't tell their employees as it is not for sale yet.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800

cluv032001 is a n00b

Did anyone hear anything different than October 19th for sprint??
Old 09-17-2008, 01:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx 6700, Touch, Samsung Omnia, Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon

iclickjohn is becoming a great contributor

So I had a lengthy conversation with one of Verizon's (upper) technicians. Purpose, 1) complain that I was disapointed when I bought my son a vz6900, got home and found out it didn't have wifi, I could have read the details closer. OK it's no big deal to my son.
2) It is a big deal to me. I want wifi on my next phone which perhaps will be the Diamond or the Pro. She assured me that they left off the wifi (crippled) on the touch to make it cheaper. (yes, paid $49 at Best Buy for it) She (convincingly) told me that she didn't think that they would deliberately cripple the phone just to sell the data package. (lol) She pointed out that they use the wifi feature to sell a lot of their phones. Obviously there is a lot of speculation on HOW crippled the phones will be when they arrive. I'm not sure but it seems foolish to just guess. Where do these people get their info on less memory, no wifi, disabled features? Unless your in upper management at VZ how would you know?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclickjohn View Post
So I had a lengthy conversation with one of Verizon's (upper) technicians. Purpose, 1) complain that I was disapointed when I bought my son a vz6900, got home and found out it didn't have wifi, I could have read the details closer. OK it's no big deal to my son.
2) It is a big deal to me. I want wifi on my next phone which perhaps will be the Diamond or the Pro. She assured me that they left off the wifi (crippled) on the touch to make it cheaper. (yes, paid $49 at Best Buy for it) She (convincingly) told me that she didn't think that they would deliberately cripple the phone just to sell the data package. (lol) She pointed out that they use the wifi feature to sell a lot of their phones. Obviously there is a lot of speculation on HOW crippled the phones will be when they arrive. I'm not sure but it seems foolish to just guess. Where do these people get their info on less memory, no wifi, disabled features? Unless your in upper management at VZ how would you know?

I don't know why they can't tell the public or at least their own employees so only when asked, they can give out valuable information. Even if they said, there has been many issues with phone 'x' and there is only an 80% chance we are even going to carry that phone. I could live with that; but would still go look up and try to find out what problems their were and maybe avoid the phone all together. And if they just said 80% chance, not final yet, I would still be happier then as frustrated as I am when they try to hide new phones. And when they come out they act like we never new about them and are supposed to be amazed by how far the technology has come since the carrier down the street released it 2 months before them. And still we knew about it on a gadget site 8 months earlier when the FCC approved it for sale in the US.
Maybe we are just really dumb like that and we are just to dumb to know it...
Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: verizon

ppcboi318 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to ppcboi318

Quote:
Originally Posted by arik View Post
I don't know why they can't tell the public or at least their own employees so only when asked, they can give out valuable information. Even if they said, there has been many issues with phone 'x' and there is only an 80% chance we are even going to carry that phone. I could live with that; but would still go look up and try to find out what problems their were and maybe avoid the phone all together. And if they just said 80% chance, not final yet, I would still be happier then as frustrated as I am when they try to hide new phones. And when they come out they act like we never new about them and are supposed to be amazed by how far the technology has come since the carrier down the street released it 2 months before them. And still we knew about it on a gadget site 8 months earlier when the FCC approved it for sale in the US.
Maybe we are just really dumb like that and we are just to dumb to know it...
You would be surprised of how many people have smartphones and pdas and don't know the potential of what they have. The large percentage of people who buy these phones are either people who say "i have the money and it looks cool" or it's the business people who think having phones like these are symbol of me doing even more business. There are only a small percentage of people that know the true power of the phones before they buy them. That's where companies like verizon, sprint etc... capitalize off the wannabe cool or think i can do more business thinkers. The university i'm currently attending has me amazed at how little the kids around me know about technology. They have pdas like the xv6800, touch, tilt, but still know so little about them. These kids will sit their for hours during class playing games like solitaire. if only they knew of other games out there they could play.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Hercules Valvalotus
Pocket PC: Nokia N900 as my tablet Tmo G2 for my phone
Carrier: T-mobile & Google Voice

TheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TheRealHotshot Send a message via MSN to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Skype™ to TheRealHotshot
Exclamation Re: Touch Pro Coming out in 6 to 8 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcboi318 View Post
You would be surprised of how many people have smartphones and pdas and don't know the potential of what they have. The large percentage of people who buy these phones are either people who say "i have the money and it looks cool" or it's the business people who think having phones like these are symbol of me doing even more business. There are only a small percentage of people that know the true power of the phones before they buy them. That's where companies like verizon, sprint etc... capitalize off the wannabe cool or think i can do more business thinkers. The university i'm currently attending has me amazed at how little the kids around me know about technology. They have pdas like the xv6800, touch, tilt, but still know so little about them. These kids will sit their for hours during class playing games like solitaire. if only they knew of other games out there they could play.
If you aint speaking the TRUTH! That's **Real Talk** right there. You know how many ppl I met with the mogul and we get to talking about the phone and I ask em what apps they got they be like what you mean there's nothing on the phone but what came with it! I mean still running winmo 5!!!! I update they phones giving em cool apps and program. Pretty much change there outlook of the phone they have and use it to its limit. Like you said ppl get pda phones for cool factors not knowing the power they hold in there hands.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:58 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

drexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Stain View Post
If you aint speaking the TRUTH! That's **Real Talk** right there. You know how many ppl I met with the mogul and we get to talking about the phone and I ask em what apps they got they be like what you mean there's nothing on the phone but what came with it! I mean still running winmo 5!!!! I update they phones giving em cool apps and program. Pretty much change there outlook of the phone they have and use it to its limit. Like you said ppl get pda phones for cool factors not knowing the power they hold in there hands.
Yeah, that is very true. One of my co-workers didn't even know that NAV was available on the phone and had no clue about the 6.1 ROM update!...LOL

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro