PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 03:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

DSGamer is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android for Pro

One big hitch is the touchscreen on the HTC Touch Pro. The G1 uses a conductive touch screen. Meaning that heat and light touch are what activates it. So it's very smooth and easy to navigate the phone. The Touch Pro is a standard touchscreen. Until you've played with both it's hard to understand just how different it is to navigate one vs. the other. The need to apply pressure can cause you to make mistakes you wouldn't normally make. I didn't really realize until I quit the Touch Pro and quit Sprint why the G1 felt so much more smooth to use. It's not just the OS or the UI or the lack of a stylus or the easy to read text and big buttons. It's also the touchscreen.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

ggamer.. you mean the g1 is capacitive. like the iphone. and that goes my body current not heat.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ..
Carrier: ..

shadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The gsm rapheal and cdma are different and the versions are not compatible. I have barely begun a cdma variant, but am stuck getting the kernel to boot still.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

kmartburrito is keeping up the good workkmartburrito is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmite View Post
The gsm rapheal and cdma are different and the versions are not compatible. I have barely begun a cdma variant, but am stuck getting the kernel to boot still.
Hey shadowmite, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I'm really into Linux, but am still learning.

One thing about the previous poster and the screens. You have to realize that google developed Android to run on a multitude of devices. Many of those won't have touchscreens at all, let alone capacitive touch screens.

I will say, in defense though, it ran pretty smoothly on my Titan, with it's miniscule ram, so I bet it would run pretty well on the TP.

If I've helped you in any post, please take a second to thank me using the icon. Thanks! :P
Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Bad HAL 9000 is becoming a great contributor

I just hope we can find a way to cook a rom with android in it, WITHOUT WM ( eventually )

Booting WM, then from there launching Android seems a bit silly/wastefull.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ..
Carrier: ..

shadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

most everything in the gsm port should work fine on the cdma one. We just need to remap all gpio's, irq's, etc. Since I have never done this stage myself it's gonna take me awhile. Any low level people are welcome to help! I believe I've got the screenbuffer set properly, but I'm locking up before the screen is written to. I need to add some debug code to start lighting up the flash...
Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad HAL 9000 View Post
I just hope we can find a way to cook a rom with android in it, WITHOUT WM ( eventually )

Booting WM, then from there launching Android seems a bit silly/wastefull.
I'd still like a choice though, like a boot menu when you start the phone, that would be sweet.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Bad HAL 9000 is becoming a great contributor

Yea, I think we just need a version of grub/lilo for devices like this.

I may go pick up the SDK and see what I can do.

shadowmite, do you or the other guys working on this have an SVN or something out somewhere?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Pm me for anything. I will help. My area of expertknowledge is graphic design,3d modeler,animation. If this is needed.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:49 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

0.8 with color glitch is runnin on my sprint

This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro