PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 02:22 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro -- Now working on Verizon! And with GPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL1075 View Post
So, had the phone plugged into power in my vehicle when I was at the gym. Came back to the vehicle, see that I have an email or two and a missed call. So, check the email, no big deal, then I return the missed call.

I get a couple of rings, and then my phone resets. But it doesn't reset into windows mobile; I look at the screen, and I see the XDandroid animation..... like Android rebooted itself back into Android.

Now, sitting here with the phone, I haven't shut it down yet, because I'm trying to figure out the problem. I can enable wi-fi and browse the web, but it just says "no service" for phone signal. So, can't make calls.

Is this a side effect of Android rebooting? Perhaps when Android reboots without Windows Mobile booted, it can not access the hardware radio?

Is there a way to reset this without rebooting?

Having used Linux in the (very) distant past, I seem to remember being able to recover things usually without a reboot.

Let me know what you think, thanks
My experience with the radio is that it will sometimes just crash. I haven't tracked down the specific causes, but in my experience (possibly misjudged) I have found it significantly more likely to happen in places with weak signal, and thus more switching in and out of roaming mode.

This radio crash often, but not always, coincides with the android system crashing (which is what is happening when you drop back to the android boot animation). I haven't found any way to bring the radio back up after such a crash without a full reboot. I would not be the least bit surprised if it were possible, but I haven't seen a way (not that I've looked hard). Airplane mode does not shut things down at a low enough level, I guess, because it just hangs when I try it.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:35 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamagc View Post
makk, here is a logcat from my device with mms coming in and crashing the mms app. let me know if you see anything useful.

http://pastebin.com/6j7dC9xT
I don't know what it's supposed to look like, so that doesn't look like much to me. I do wonder about all the

Code:
Asset path /data/app/com.android.mms-1.apk is neither a directory nor file (type=1)
warnings, though. Can't figure out what the 2nd mms apk is, nor whether it's actually being used at any point in there.

I'm pretty stumped at this point. I'm going to play around with sending myself some MMSes and see if I get anywhere.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

TOOL1075 is a n00b

I'm starting to see that this is a GSM port to a CDMA system (makes sense, I guess).

For example, the 3G icon will change to an "E" (I guess, to signify "Edge" for AT&T). Sprint never uses "3G" or "E" - they are always EvDO and 1X, etc.

Also, the references to the APN settings, the SIM card stuff - all things that CDMA carriers treat differently.

Completely adapting this port for CDMA carriers is no easy task...
Old 08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

Yeah. It's definitely a bit strange.

Most of the info that's stuck in the APN settings on a GSM phone actually does show up on CDMA phones as well -- it's just cooked into the rom and not user-accessible.

Sprint has actually switched over to using '3G' instead of 'Ev' on their new phones (I imagine it's easier to use the same terminology as everyone else, for sales purposes).

I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get xdandroid to display Ev instead of 3G (The Vogue port does it just fine). I've looked, and the image files that say EV are in the generic android system. I assume the RIL is just not actually reporting that the connection is EvDO instead of whatever else. But... I don't think anyone really cares that much.

The SIM card stuff... that's just ugly and doesn't have any upside for people on CDMA. But it's a pretty minor annoyance.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

ok so i've played and played and i'm stuck again lol.

i picked the ril from the evo. threw it into our system, low and behold, i have radio working. so if i can get the evo ril to work with our system, i would imagine that the ril is correct for our network and should work.

but i'm stuck at data. i can't get an apn to stick. the evo uses 120 as the mnc number. i'm starting to think that even though cdma doesn't use mnc, it uses the field and converts it to their sec number which they use in place of the mnc. all sprint devices have 120 in that field.

i'll let you know if i can get data to work with the evo ril and if anything comes of it.

also that mms-2.apk was from me putting in a different apk and playing with them. don't worry about that one too much.

08-20 13:05:39.060 D/MobileDataStateTracker( 197): mms Received state= CONNECTED, old= CONNECTING, reason= apnChanged, apnTypeList= mms

thats the one i was more interested in. in the radio log i can also see where the mms comes in.

but i'm back to looking at the ril.

can you post a log of an mms coming in on your evo? or look at your log and see what it says when one does come in and see what we're missing? when you have a moment

Last edited by hamagc; 08-24-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:57 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

I think it's unlikely you'll get data to work with the evo ril. I'm pretty sure it uses rmnet instead of ppp to connect, and we don't have any facilities to use that. (I'm not really sure what rmnet is, I just vaguely recall that being the problem.)

Back when people were first getting the TP2 working, they'd drop in the HTC RIL, and get basic radio functionality, but couldn't do a thing about data.

I think maybe I was wrong about MCC/MNC not being used by CDMA carriers. I've noticed the same thing, they do all seem to have that 120 number -- just, like everything else on CDMA phones, they don't expose that number to the user, because there's no need.

Clearly, the way the hybrid CDMA/GSM build deals with these numbers is less than ideal.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

damnit, thats not good news for me lol. i figured it was an apn issue with the ril. i can't get an apn to stick with any settings to save my life.

back to our ril, i still can't get 120 in the apn. i've replaced all 4 apn conf files and deleted the telephony.db and smsmms.db and it still wants 995. interested to see if 120 does anything at all for us still. my endless quest.

i don't think you were wrong about the mcc/mnc. everyone i've spoken with agrees with you that they aren't used. i did read somewhere that cdma doesn't use mnc but uses sec or something like that which is why i'm thinking it uses that field.

the more i get into this i am starting to wonder if this is a provisioning issue. if it is i don't think there is anything we can do about it. i tried the ##data# but didn't do anything.

i hope we're not screwed with only native devices
Old 08-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

TOOL1075 is a n00b

along the same lines, guys....... I have another related question.

What about PRL's? (the thing we download when using a CDMA Sprint phone to update, supposedly, the list of towers upon which we can roam, etc)

Also, is it possible that the current implementation of the radio communication with the XDAndroid software is not allowing us to tower-hop properly? (that is, maybe when it's time to hop to a new tower, which can be done seamlessly but sometimes even drops calls on a native Sprint ROM, the system crashes?)

Not sure if this has been looked at before.... or if PRL's have anything to do with it, or if both are a problem but unrelated....
Old 08-24-2010, 02:59 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

My understanding is that all the low level stuff like that (everything from PRL to MSID to data username and password) isn't really touched by android. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking -- the PRL is stored low-level, and as long as it's been updated in WinMo, it'll still be up to date when you boot into Android.

I suppose it's possible, but probably unlikely, that there are bugs in the tower-hopping. I have no real info, but I suspect that that sort of function is taken care of in the radio firmware, and is only dealt with abstractly by android.

Again, that's just a guess. Need to find someone more experienced with this stuff than myself to confirm it. Unfortunately, there are very few experienced people working on CDMA.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

ajskhan is becoming a great contributor

i'm using the newest 2.2 (8/19 I believe was the date) with an updated system and an 8/27 rootfs. and i must say, props to all of yall here and all of them at xda. it's working quite well. or well, it was. today morning i checked my phone and it said i had all bars. but i coouldnt send and hadnt recieved any texts, and i couldnt connect to the internet. the phone was sleeping (id guess it's called sleeping, because i was sleeping) for about 6 hours. i restarted my phone into winmo and from there i type this.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux